2020/21 Jarrad Branthwaite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Think Branthwaite has done pretty well that 1st half for Blackburn, has not looked out of place and has looked quite calm, he was not the marker for the scorer though, Blackburn did score but didnt count lucky for the keeper as he made a error for it as he should save it lol

I thought Branthwaite played well throughout, never looked out of place, calm and composed on the ball , rarely under pressure and showed he’s got the speed to cover ground with his long strides. Hard to remember any mistakes he made . It wasn’t a brilliant game to watch , I’m not sure how many of these Blackburn games I’ll watch, but well done Jarrad today.

So are we picturing a Branthwaite-Godfrey CB pairing in the near future? With Keane and Mina in good form and Holgate still in the picture, that's a crowded position. Nice problem to have, I guess.

I said on the Keane post I think we need to move one on as Brands has said about ultimately only wanting 8 defenders so that is probably 4 CBs. Godfrey Branthwaite would be a good partnership as they are both young quick and powerful. At this stage though I would be happy for Branthwaite to come back and just be ready to challenge for a place. I think once Godfrey plays CB he will become first choice. Play Mina against physical opposition play Holgate against quicker opposition. If Branthwaite is as good as we hope he will be able to play against quick and physical opposition.

The other thing to remember is just how few games he’s started, rough totals are 9 for Carlisle, 4 for us maybe 3 or 4 for the U23s , about 16 starts in total. If things go well at Blackburn he’ll double that by the end of the season, he’ll gain more experience and the coaches will have a better understanding of which areas need working on. Today he was playing against quick forwards running at him and asked to mark a huge Stoke centre back at corners - he actually looked bigger than Branthwaite. Just the exposure he needs.

Mowbray says he thought Jarrad Branthwaite was "steady" today on debut, says that's all he wants from the Everton loanee each game "seven or eight out of ten every week

Status
Not open for further replies.