2020/21 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts??

He’s a kid who has played one season in the PL but should be sold and burnt at the stake because he hasn’t looked like maldini
I don't get this, you're insinuating he's getting slaughtered by everyone but I don't see this being the case.

I think in the main people understand its very early days with him, and not the best circumstances to be introduced into the side, being played at full back and in a side that isn't performing well defensively.

Hopefully if we stick with 3 CBs he will improve and get used to the formation. It's been tough for him, coming in first at RB and now in a back 3. Also the rest of the defensive unit are not playing particularly well, except Digne.

Hopefully if we stick with 3 CBs he will improve and get used to the formation. It's been tough for him, coming in first at RB and now in a back 3. Also the rest of the defensive unit are not playing particularly well, except Digne.
2 nd half all our midfield were centre backs - apart from Allen who has a defencive midfielder was our only midfielder, untill Tom Davies came on to bail us out ........

Holding my tongue because I remember how gash Holgate was before suddenly becoming great.
What worries me is Holgate started to turn it around somewhere in the area of his 100th first team appearance. Godfrey is already at 150 and looks a lot more raw. Now he is younger so that gives some added hope.

....you see Rodriguez with all that natural ability, grace and talent and then you see Godfrey who is raw and lacks finesse.

Defending, however, is something players should get better at with experience. Playing alongside and training with the right personnel is vital.

What a defender can have, however, is all the right physical and mental attributes on which to build and I really think Godfrey has that. He carries pace and power with an aggression our other CBs lack. He’ll need the right partner (Keane as far as I’m concerned) and I think he’ll make an immediate difference. There’ll be mistakes and he’ll need to bed in, but he will continually improve.

He’s a CB and nothing else.

Thought he was solid, but thought the back three as a unit was all over the place.

benefit of the doubt that they’ve played in a new system together for the first time after being able to train it once.

Expect a big improvement next week.
Yes it's plain to see we have problems with our defence but I'm 100% that Carlo will sort it out.

What worries me is Holgate started to turn it around somewhere in the area of his 100th first team appearance. Godfrey is already at 150 and looks a lot more raw. Now he is younger so that gives some added hope.
Yes I agree m8, mina is the worry for me I just think he's a clown.

Thought he was alright yesterday. Plenty of pace, won a few good headers, and for the most part dealt with everything well. Got done by a nice drop of the shoulder for the penalty, it happens.

He was alright yesterday.

Our back three lacked balance and that was on Carlo.

You can't have a back three with both Mina and Keane in. Not going to work. A back three has to have pace in it. It also really needs a left-footed CB, but we don't have one of those.

Second half we looked so ragged because we dropped off so deep and that didn't help anyone.

There's a lot of work to do with Godfrey but he's a player for the future, too. He's got a lot of good attributes, they just need refining a bit.

He was right of Centre back looked more at right back to me talking of Carlo quote after match - our defence has to improve.......?
We are hemoraging goals ATM..

He was probably just trying to cover the space that iwobi left when he was bombing forward

Our defence deffo needs to improve though, it's been a shambles all season except Vs Tottenham

Status
Not open for further replies.