Everton January transfer window 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
We could have had Matt Doherty for just north of 10m last transfer window. Had he been available on Sunday with James in front of him, I do think the chances of a clean sheet at least would have been high. Opportunity lost there. So much for a network.
He would’ve still gone to Spurs even if we were in for him just like PEH and Sissoko did. Also I doubt Wolves would’ve sold to us as we are more of a rival for where they are likely to be finishing

We could have had Matt Doherty for just north of 10m last transfer window. Had he been available on Sunday with James in front of him, I do think the chances of a clean sheet at least would have been high. Opportunity lost there. So much for a network.

He's best as a wing-back and we don't play that system - neither do Spurs.

He isn't great defensively really.

Regardless, we have two RBs. Unfortunately both were injured. There's nothing we can do about that, it's just bad luck.

I haven't wathed him much mate, but going on the opening day of the season, I'm glad we didnt spend 15 million quid on a fella who looked substantially inferior to Coleman.

I haven't wathed him much mate, but going on the opening day of the season, I'm glad we didnt spend 15 million quid on a fella who looked substantially inferior to Coleman.

At his best as a RWB.

He's not exactly quick or great with the ball. His crossing isn't amazing either.

He is very adept at getting up and down though and making runs into the area - why he got so many goals and chances created/assists at Wolves.

A decent player but one that isn't going to have offered a massive improvement on Coleman for the system we play.

Ironically, Ireland should move to a 3-5-2/3-4-3 for that exact reason, to get the best out of Doherty and still have Coleman in there - as a third CB/FB if the system changes during a game.

At his best as a RWB.

He's not exactly quick or great with the ball. His crossing isn't amazing either.

He is very adept at getting up and down though and making runs into the area - why he got so many goals and chances created/assists at Wolves.

A decent player but one that isn't going to have offered a massive improvement on Coleman for the system we play.

Ironically, Ireland should move to a 3-5-2/3-4-3 for that exact reason, to get the best out of Doherty and still have Coleman in there - as a third CB/FB if the system changes during a game.

All very fair. I just think, playing behind James, in a back 4 would be pretty disastrous here.

I mean he's a good player. But it would have been a weird signing. I still think it is for Spurs, tbh. He's a player who fits very well in a pretty specific system.

Wolves were very odd this window to be honest. Brought a load of money in but also spaffed copious amouts of money. Probably spend 100m ish but never seem to get judged in the way we do when we spend.

I feel this highlights how it's not always as easy as us fans like to think. I mean, this is city and Pep is literally saying they couldn't afford the right quality...

Pep Guardiola insists Manchester City considered signing a striker in the summer transfer window but could not find the right deal. (Manchester Evening News)

That is the point, never mind what players are available, the right deal, do not want to get caught like with Tosun, Siggy, Iwobi ans Bolasie to name a few.

I feel this highlights how it's not always as easy as us fans like to think. I mean, this is city and Pep is literally saying they couldn't afford the right quality...

Pep Guardiola insists Manchester City considered signing a striker in the summer transfer window but could not find the right deal. (Manchester Evening News)

He didn’t help himself by spending £40m on Nathan Ake.

Wolves were very odd this window to be honest. Brought a load of money in but also spaffed copious amouts of money. Probably spend 100m ish but never seem to get judged in the way we do when we spend.
I think their debt on spending over the last 4/5 yrs is very similar to ours.
it’s just the media narrative of Everton, like we’ve seen over the last week.

Is it because us fans make a
Lot of noise about us being a big club?

Or because we have been a big Club and some don’t won’t us being back up there and spoiling the party. And maybe, even though The likes of wolves, Leicester, Leeds, are trying to challenge the top 6. Maybe the elite think them teams will be never get there for a sustained period. While Everton with our history, fan base, owners, new ground. They’re worried we could break it up.

Or because of the massive media bias towards the reds. And ex reds all over TV & Radio. It’s natural to constantly have little digs put their rivals Down. And for non reds and presenters to side with them, while ex reds are sitting opposite them.

also it was all, big spending Everton struggle, under Silva. while Howe is doing a great job at Bournemouth. Though the difference on spending over 5 yrs was about 50mil.

I'd have Milik in January if the opportunity is there. For under £10m he's worth a punt.. only turns 27 in February.

I think their debt on spending over the last 4/5 yrs is very similar to ours.
it’s just the media narrative of Everton, like we’ve seen over the last week.

Is it because us fans make a
Lot of noise about us being a big club?

Or because we have been a big Club and some don’t won’t us being back up there and spoiling the party. And maybe, even though The likes of wolves, Leicester, Leeds, are trying to challenge the top 6. Maybe the elite think them teams will be never get there for a sustained period. While Everton with our history, fan base, owners, new ground. They’re worried we could break it up.

Or because of the massive media bias towards the reds. And ex reds all over TV & Radio. It’s natural to constantly have little digs put their rivals Down. And for non reds and presenters to side with them, while ex reds are sitting opposite them.

also it was all, big spending Everton struggle, under Silva. while Howe is doing a great job at Bournemouth. Though the difference on spending over 5 yrs was about 50mil.

It's a really interesting question, but other teams don't get the same scrutiny we do.

We need a player who can in some way replicate what Richarlison brings.

Maybe not with his intensity - that's hard to find - but someone who just wants to drive at goal and is also skillful enough to hold off players, and positionally has that ability to find space in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.