2020/21 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember Stubbs and Weir were keeping Yobo on the bench - the year he was here on loan he was our player of the year, but the year we got CL he was mostly on the bench i think.

When Jags came in remember everyone scratching their heads as i think Grav had just been sold and we looked at him as a midfielder/right back utility lad. It took a while for him to get into the team.

I think i remember one of his first games at center half, we went two up against Arsenal at the time (i think), but we were playing a high line and i think we lost 3-2 in the end. He got slatted on here - maybe even by me - the words he will never be a center half were uttered. Think even Kroldrup was knocking around then.

Could be wrong going from memory.

Yes he was very mjuch signed as a utility man. Probably quite similar to Godfrey actually and he turned out to be a brilliant signing for us. He looked very awkward at centre mid for us, but once he settled in at centre back he was absoutely fine.

Yes he was very mjuch signed as a utility man. Probably quite similar to Godfrey actually and he turned out to be a brilliant signing for us. He looked very awkward at centre mid for us, but once he settled in at centre back he was absoutely fine.

Bargain for 4.5 million if i remember correctly mate, given his quality and years of service. Just thinking of how many English national team defenders Moyes picked up and developed, Jags, Baines, Lescott, Stones, must have ot all four for the price of one Godfrey. lol

Bargain for 4.5 million if i remember correctly mate, given his quality and years of service. Just thinking of how many English national team defenders Moyes picked up and developed, Jags, Baines, Lescott, Stones, must have ot all four for the price of one Godfrey. lol

Yes. Moyes's great skill was improving defenders really. They were excelletn buys, but probably wrth saying with the inflation there has been in the game they were probably signed for around 10-15m pounds in modern money. But still as you say fantastic value for the club.

I think he got players from the championship who had "just missed the boat" really well and had a bit of a point to prove. In personality I see Godfrey in that camp. He didn't sink in the derby and showed a lot of character to me.

Godfrey impressed me in his first game given he was playing out of position. Clearly he's a centre back but did well in the derby and he has a look of class. Looking forward to watching the match on Sunday and see how he does over 90 minutes.

Yes. Moyes's great skill was improving defenders really. They were excelletn buys, but probably wrth saying with the inflation there has been in the game they were probably signed for around 10-15m pounds in modern money. But still as you say fantastic value for the club.

I think he got players from the championship who had "just missed the boat" really well and had a bit of a point to prove. In personality I see Godfrey in that camp. He didn't sink in the derby and showed a lot of character to me.

I think he had a great eye for a player Davey mate, but he was also a good coach to and improved players, whatever about tactics or expansive play. i just thought about inflation after i posted my last so absolutely.

i mentioned Godfrey a bit before we were linked as a player i thought had huge potential and we should be looking at he really impressed me last season. Since he signed i love his attitude and character, whatever lads like Kean or Ademola lacked in grit, bearing down, desire and fighting for their spot (immensely talented lads), i think Ben has that is spades.

Godfrey impressed me in his first game given he was playing out of position. Clearly he's a centre back but did well in the derby and he has a look of class. Looking forward to watching the match on Sunday and see how he does over 90 minutes.

I think it was @Eggs who mentioned a "look at me" moment about our youth.
Godfrey haring forward and riding 2 challenges was that for me.
Mane didn't get much joy out of him1 either, very impressive debut and matches what my Norwich supporting mates have told me (I do live in Norfolk these days).

I think he had a great eye for a player Davey mate, but he was also a good coach to and improved players, whatever about tactics or expansive play. i just thought about inflation after i posted my last so absolutely.

i mentioned Godfrey a bit before we were linked as a player i thought had huge potential and we should be looking at he really impressed me last season. Since he signed i love his attitude and character, whatever lads like Kean or Ademola lacked in grit, bearing down, desire and fighting for their spot (immensely talented lads), i think Ben has that is spades.

I popped something on the main age when we signed him that said as much mate, essentially he was born on the wrong side of the tracks. Nothing easy coming through at a 4th tier team. Going to a 2nd tier teams reserve squad, then off to a 3rd team team to play centre mid.

I felt for a while we probably didn't buy character enough in players. Holgate, Calvert Lewin have it in abundance to me. I remember seeign Calvert Lewin in that Atalanta game, came on with 10 minutes to go, he must have been 20, and he nailed someone. I sort of thought in that moment he had something about him. I actually think Jonjo Kenny does as well, but he's just not quite quick enough.

Norwich were talking 40-50 million when he first entered the league, so his stock fell a bit last season and it probably enabled us to make the move. I imagine Brands had him on his radar for some time, but probably felt he was out of our radar before this summer.

I think it was @Eggs who mentioned a "look at me" moment about our youth.
Godfrey haring forward and riding 2 challenges was that for me.
Mane didn't get much joy out of him1 either, very impressive debut and matches what my Norwich supporting mates have told me (I do live in Norfolk these days).

That was a big moment for me, he was being pressed and just bombed past Mane and Robertson. I also liked him getting a couple of critical block and having Henderson bounce off him. You thought there's a lad who has the temparement to play at this level.

That was a big moment for me, he was being pressed and just bombed past Mane and Robertson. I also liked him getting a couple of critical block and having Henderson bounce off him. You thought there's a lad who has the temparement to play at this level.

Easily, mate. People slag off that Norwich defence somewhat fairly but there was a poorly trained talented base.
Young, rapid, tenacious, all familiar adjectives I heard throughout last year about Godfrey.
Ingredients like that make you think Jagielka. If he get's close to Jags then we're set for a decade.
Jags had an in-form Torres in his back pocket twice in one week before his knee went.

I see some similarities with Joloen Lescott, who played a lot of his early football at left back for us (and actually kept Leighton Baines out). He also got called up to the England squad in that position, while Jagielka and Yobo formed a formidable centre back partnership.

Lescott was a bit taller but simialrly well built, came in at 23 for us and was good at defending but could also carry the ball. I always liked him at left back to be honest and the team did well there. If you are Godfrey, you just want to get yourself into a winning team first, then over time make a case to play centre back.

As for us, I think it probably helps us too, extra height at set peices and also gives James that free role ahead of him.

First thing I thought. Lescott was immense at Left Back. We were stacked back then with prime Jags / Lescott / Yobo / Baines.
We probably have the best set of defenders potentially since that period once they are all fit and firing and grow into their roles.

I popped something on the main age when we signed him that said as much mate, essentially he was born on the wrong side of the tracks. Nothing easy coming through at a 4th tier team. Going to a 2nd tier teams reserve squad, then off to a 3rd team team to play centre mid.

I felt for a while we probably didn't buy character enough in players. Holgate, Calvert Lewin have it in abundance to me. I remember seeign Calvert Lewin in that Atalanta game, came on with 10 minutes to go, he must have been 20, and he nailed someone. I sort of thought in that moment he had something about him. I actually think Jonjo Kenny does as well, but he's just not quite quick enough.

Norwich were talking 40-50 million when he first entered the league, so his stock fell a bit last season and it probably enabled us to make the move. I imagine Brands had him on his radar for some time, but probably felt he was out of our radar before this summer.

It’s interesting that the players who have shown a bit of resilience are the ones who have come through the academy, probably on smaller contracts and something to prove.

To be fair I think Digne, Coleman, Allan, Richarliso, Keane Doucoure are made of the right stuff to. We’re getting there. Before you can do anything in football you need to win the battle first.

Like I said mate, he impressed me at Norwich, I tried to watch Aaron’s and Lewis but left thinking Godfrey was their best defender and leader. He was MOM I thought in our game against them last year and bossed DCL. I wouldn’t be surprised if that crystallised our interest in him. I really like his attitude since he’s arrived. I wonder where he was on our list of priorities - Gabriel was maybe top, then there was Tobido and Tomori. I’m delighted with Ben though he’s a real player and seems like a great real lad.

First thing I thought. Lescott was immense at Left Back. We were stacked back then with prime Jags / Lescott / Yobo / Baines.
We probably have the best set of defenders potentially since that period once they are all fit and firing and grow into their roles.

the Jags Lescott pairing has been unmatched since. Loved those guys together. If our lads get to that level we’re set..

It’s interesting that the players who have shown a bit of resilience are the ones who have come through the academy, probably on smaller contracts and something to prove.

To be fair I think Digne, Coleman, Allan, Richarliso, Keane Doucoure are made of the right stuff to. We’re getting there. Before you can do anything in football you need to win the battle first.

Like I said mate, he impressed me at Norwich, I tried to watch Aaron’s and Lewis but left thinking Godfrey was their best defender and leader. He was MOM I thought in our game against them last year and bossed DCL. I wouldn’t be surprised if that crystallised our interest in him. I really like his attitude since he’s arrived. I wonder where he was on our list of priorities - Gabriel was maybe top, then there was Tobido and Tomori. I’m delighted with Ben though he’s a real player and seems like a great real lad.

Maybe we changed to Godfrey after the restart game against Norwich. We want players who are 100% committed to the cause with enough raw talent to go up a level and then some.

Status
Not open for further replies.