2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we get our CM targets in I suspect we’ll see a lot less of him next season. Maybe in and out of the team depending on what system we play.

Don’t mention the glaring obvious elephant in the room, the avoidance around this is quite fascinating, people have convinced themselves his position has always been a central midfielder.

I love this thread, it’s absolutely detached from reality, built on confirmation bias and projection.

Danny summed up it yesterday, he can score two goals and assist and will still get vitriol in here. Never seen anything like it from a minority of our fans. Season before he was the top scoring 10 in the league.

He's played CM because he's been a disaster at AM.

That season you keep crowing about, you might want to dig deeper into those stats. Of those 13, two penalties, one a rebounded penalty. So 10 from open play. Of those games he scored when 3-0 up at Burnley, 4-1 down at Spurs. So he scored 8 meaningful goals - of those 8, four of them won games.

So his contribution from open play that was truly meaningful that season was in four games, about the same number of actual good games he had if you took the goals away.

You talk of bias; you're showing the clearest example of it. He's been a trainwreck of a signing.

He doesn't and hasn't played at 6. Even you describe him as a 10 when it suits your own point.

What you said is incorrect and a myth. He's been asked to play central midfield but basically never as a 6.

DisagreeW to be honest, has played with Gomes in there who is naturally an 8, I also consider Davies an 8, in fact don’t think we have a 6, so in that scenario one will hold at 6 the other advance.

In fact you can see the article in the Echo today with him saying exactly that, picking the ball of the centre backs, being told by the central defence to hold his positition so they don’t get over run on the counter. Essentially because you say it’s a myth it doesn’t make it so, thats just hyperbole, you are only sharing your opinion.

Id accept he naturally drifts to playing an 8 role, even if he’s holding or alternating 6, I don’t think he’s an 8 either.

DisagreeW to be honest, has played with Gomes in there who is naturally an 8, I also consider Davies an 8, in fact don’t think we have a 6, so in that scenario one will hold at 6 the other advance.

In fact you can see the article in the Echo today with him saying exactly that, picking the ball of the centre backs, being told by the central defence to hold his positition so they don’t get over run on the counter. Essentially because you say it’s a myth it doesn’t make it so, thats just hyperbole, you are only sharing your opinion.

Id accept he naturally drifts to playing an 8 role, even if he’s holding or alternating 6, I don’t think he’s an 8 either.

He's never played as a six barring on a rare occasion we've gone down to 10 men or something.

Whenever he's played alongside Gomes/Gueye/Davies/anyone, he's been the 8 at worst, or he's played attacking mid as a 10.

He's never been a six. That's not hyperbole; it's the truth.

He's played CM because he's been a disaster at AM.

That season you keep crowing about, you might want to dig deeper into those stats. Of those 13, two penalties, one a rebounded penalty. So 10 from open play. Of those games he scored when 3-0 up at Burnley, 4-1 down at Spurs. So he scored 8 meaningful goals - of those 8, four of them won games.

So his contribution from open play that was truly meaningful that season was in four games, about the same number of actual good games he had if you took the goals away.

You talk of bias; you're showing the clearest example of it. He's been a trainwreck of a signing.

So the games he scores in aren’t meaningful, haha they are if he doesn’t score, ridiculous and reaching.

Ah I see so apart from all the goals he’s scored he’s been brutal. Good stuff this.

I agree with you it’s been a poor a move for him and subsequently us, we haven’t got the best out of him. I think we take the majority of the blame for that. In fact we haven’t got the best out of the vast majority of our signings for a very long time, if I’m being frankly honest.

He's never played as a six barring on a rare occasion we've gone down to 10 men or something.

Whenever he's played alongside Gomes/Gueye/Davies/anyone, he's been the 8 at worst, or he's played attacking mid as a 10.

He's never been a six. That's not hyperbole; it's the truth.

You keep saying this, I don’t know what to tell you, I disagree for the reasons and evidence I gave. We have a midfield of altering 8s, one hold the other is more advanced depending on context. All I am hearing is your opinion which I don’t accept.

1598210004521.png

1598210066864.png

1598210133215.png

Just a Google of three random Sigurdsson heat maps.

That's not a six buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.