Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
He must still have about 7 seasons left at the top as well as he's injured himself in about 5 of the last 10 seasons so he's had plenty of rest.

Yeah that would be the sticking point. But if he can play id have him here. He's a committed leader who throws himself into everything.
You know we could do with a few players with some heart.

But we have Keane who is very similar probably slightly better type

Is he though. The same keane who was shown the door at united while jones has played there for 8 years.
Look if we can go out and buy ready made top class then im all for ditching jones. But funnily enough we are not rivaling bayern and juve at the moment for those.

He excelled as an out and out defender but he was very poor on the ball.

I think maybe after his first year and a half with us he struggled with injury and found it hard to regain form, but i remember him having say more quality then the likes of Jackson, Ablett, and Burrows, he had a cross on him and could get up the line, funny i was watching an old youtube video the other night were assisted for Dunc. He certainly was at his best with Villa and was hampered by injury with us and subsequently consistency of form because of that, but i honestly dont remember him being as bad as people make out sometimes, certainly a lot worse followed. We spent a good fee on him at the time so maybe that comes into play.

We had terrible luck with some of our signings and injuries around that time in the late 90s Earl being one, Wiliamson and Bilic also spring to mind.

Last edited:

I think he's got an undeserved bad rep because of those facial expressions. He was brilliant at blackburn and that got him a move to man utd. He hasnt pulled up any trees there but apart from this season he got regular games. Would have to double check his injury. But if its not silly money i dont see it as a bad shout.
Are we in the running for sought after top class centre backs? No.
People are far to quick to turn their nose up sometimes.

He was a very good defender. I remember him playing a fair amount of a season at defensive midfield and he was unreal. Ferguson even called him the next Roy Keane.

His injuries have ruined him though, he can't string 4-5 games together without picking up some form of injury and as such he's never been able to get his rythem back as a top cb. Which means that he keeps making stupid mistakes that have ruined his reputation a long with his facial expressions he's become a bit of a joke now.

A few years ago he may of been worth the risk but now, where we are in the league and where we want to be there's no chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.