Jonjoe Kenny

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s grim how we can’t wait to kick our own whenever we can.

He hasn’t impressed since he came in but he was very highly rated at youth level. He’s clearly highly rated at Everton and he’s an managed to go and make himself a regular in a top half of the table, big German club.

Hopefully he can come back and do well. Based on what I’ve seen up to now, I’m not sure he’s the answer but I trust other who know him far better to make that decision.

I badly hope it works out for him here. I love having scousers in the team especially home grown Everton fans so fingers crossed for the lad.

He hasn’t impressed since he came in but he was very highly rated at youth level. He’s clearly highly rated at Everton and he’s an managed to go and make himself a regular in a top half of the table, big German club.

Hopefully he can come back and do well. Based on what I’ve seen up to now, I’m not sure he’s the answer but I trust other who know him far better to make that decision.

I badly hope it works out for him here. I love having scousers in the team especially home grown Everton fans so fingers crossed for the lad.
If he was that highly rated would he be out on loan though at 23.

Think back to team selections under previous managers.

Key words being "previous managers". Not Ancelotti:
But the Toffees academy graduate has hailed the impact Carlo Ancelotti has had on his parent club.

"You just look at the manager Everton have brought in, he's a natural winner," Kenny added.

"He's managed huge teams and players and won trophies wherever he has been.

"That was a great start, to get someone of the stature of the manager in."
Also...
And you can forget that Richarlison is only young, with Moise Kean, Tom Davies and Mason Holgate. You've still got a good young core so it's not a very old team.

"And in the backroom staff [director of football] Marcel Brands has been brilliant personally, to get me out on loan.

"Everyone is in a position where they can see the club is looking to go forward."
.....sadly, I’ve always been of the view that if Kenny was outstanding he wouldn’t be on loan.
No-one ecer said anything about him being outstanding tho. We're not expecting him to be the next Cafu or Roberto Carlos.
If he was that highly rated would he be out on loan though at 23.
See above. All we need is for him to be better than Seamus/Sidibe.
Went on loan to Blackpool for 3 months after playin 3 or 4 games for us aftetlr joining from the league of Ireland.
Kenny has been in the first team squad for 2 or 3 seasons now . If he was part of the plans I dnot see why he went on loan this season especially when Coleman is in a decline.
Because at that stage they didn't think he was better than Coleman, and wouldn't play week in week out. He needs to do that both for his development and so we can see how good he really is. Going on loan achieves that. It's pretty simple really.

Key words being "previous managers". Not Ancelotti:
Also...

No-one ecer said anything about him being outstanding tho. We're not expecting him to be the next Cafu or Roberto Carlos.
See above. All we need is for him to be better than Seamus/Sidibe.

Because at that stage they didn't think he was better than Coleman, and wouldn't play week in week out. He needs to do that both for his development and so we can see how good he really is. Going on loan achieves that. It's pretty simple really.
If we are to progress as a team he is not the answer at right back.
He is playing for a team of a similar level in Germany and that is his level.
If we want to stay between 7th and 12th he is grand . If we want to push on to challenge top 6 or even higher he ain't.
Its that simple really .

I've been thinking about this a fair bit. The reality is Osman and Hibbert were very underrated here, not just on the pitch but what they did off it. As you say, having local lads, coming through and playing lots of games is actually really important. I look at the multitude of players who probably had more ability than them break through, but none played those games for Everton (Billy Kenny, Jeffers, Ball, Dunne, Cadamateri, Rooney, Rodwell, Barkley). With the exception of Rooey I don't really think any had a better career either. If we were more successful all of those lads could have broken through and played 300+ league games for Everton and I think really shifted the narrative of how we are viewed in the media, but also for local parents etc in picking a team.

The football is a circus now. I saw Schalke had a reserve goalkeeper in. They've had 2 months off, and in honesty I really question what if anything they could have done for most of that. They will be miles off fitness. I'm not sure how much you can read into such games.

As for Kenny, I don't think he's any inferior to Hibbert. If he can be what Hibbert was for us between the ages of 23-29, a solid defensive fullback who you could depend upon then that will do me. People talk about going to the next level, but we were at the next level with Hibbert at right back. We regularly finished 5/6th with him playing there.

They may choose to go big for a right back in the summer, but I'm of the view, at this stage what Kenny's learnt at Schalke could be invaluable and it would be a really good idea to utilise him.

.....sadly, I’ve always been of the view that if Kenny was outstanding he wouldn’t be on loan.

I don't think Kenny is outstanding. I've never felt that. However Holgate wasn't outstanding yet the loan move really kicked him on. As a younger player you learn as much from tough games as you do good games. That Todibo today also looked miles off it.

The cards just seem to fit into place for Kenny. He's played 30+ senior games with Schalke, had over 20 with us. I always like to see a young player get to 50 senior games. If he can do that, then he has half a chance. I think he's quite fortunate, but Ancelotti seems to want a system where he has fullbacks who can defend, Kenny can do that. he's just turned 23, so is a good age. He also knows the club well so there isn't the same risk bringing a new player in. There are other areas of the pitch that need remedying too, and I think he is quite dependable.

I am not a big Kenny fan either, but sometimes in football you get lucky as a player where it all falls together for you. I much prefer Kyle John, who just looks a more clear example of a modern fullback. I've never felt Kenny was fast enough. But I do think, he will be ok, and won't read too much into today.

If we are to progress as a team he is not the answer at right back.
He is playing for a team of a similar level in Germany and that is his level.
If we want to stay between 7th and 12th he is grand . If we want to push on to challenge top 6 or even higher he ain't.
Its that simple really .
Possibly. But that doesn't mean we should discard him. Next year Seamus will be another year older. Sidibe will go back to his club, assuming we don't pick up the £12m option. If Kenny can perform at that level that is enough for next season at least. He isn't going to be the diff between us making Europe or not. The gap is much bigger than that, and as others have said we have more pressing needs. Keep him for next year, see how he does and then we can get someone in the year after if needed.

And basically what @catcherintherye said ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.