50 Years of Hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigMick

Player Valuation: £20m
On 6th December 1969 Everton were riding high at the top of the league, well on their way to claiming their 7th League Title. They were playing a glorious brand of football built around their famous 'Holy Trinity' of Kendall, Ball and Harvey, supported by a blend of young and older players that included current England internationals like Gordon West, Tommy Wright and Brian Labone, and future internationals like Joe Royle.

That December day their visitors at Goodison were their old rivals from the other side of Stanley Park who, in contrast to Everton, were a team in decline with many of their successful team of the 1960s now almost literally on their last legs.

The teams lined up:
EVERTON: West; Wright, Brown; Kendall, Labone, Jackson; Whittle, Ball, Royle, Hurst, Morrissey.
LIVERPOOL: Lawrence; Lawler, Wall; Strong, Yeats, Hughes; Callaghan, Ross, Thompson, St. John, Graham.

Everton were at full strength apart from Colin harvey, missing with an eye infection, and Jimmy Husband who was replaced by Alan Whittle, later to play a key role in the title triumph.Of the Liverpool team, only Hughes and Callaghan were to have any long term future at the club. Ross was a player Shankly regularly drafted into the team when they met Everton to do a man-marking job on Alan Ball.

So Everton went into the game as hot favourites, lauded by the press and by experienced judges within the game for their style of football and seen as the team most likely to topple the talented but ruthless, and widely disliked Champions, Leeds United.

A typical tight and hard fought Derby ensued, resulting in a goalless first half. But in the 2nd half something almost unbelievable happened as the much fancied Everton crumbled and Liverpool scored three goals through everyone's favourite, Emlyn Hughes, and Bobby Graham, with, sandwiched between, a spectacular own goal from the luckless Sandy Brown (pictured below).

The 3-0 defeat was a huge blow for Everton but they immediately recovered with a couple of 1-0 wins and went on the win the league by a 9 point (2 points for a win) margin from second place Leeds, and gained some revenge over Liverpool by winning 2-0 at Anfield. It was a brilliant season, one that is still cherished by every Blue old enough to have seen it. Their home record for the season saw 17 wins, 3 draws and just this one solitary defeat, which should be easy to shrug off but still sticks in my craw after all these years.

How did it happen that their mediocre team, dismantled by Shankly at the end of the season, could come to Goodison and beat one of our greatest ever teams 3-0?

How come we never, ever, do something similar to them?

In the 70s and early 80s when they were top or near the top we managed a few honourable draws but never a win. Our only victories at their hovel have been when we were the better side in the mid-80s, and our last win there ,the Kevin Campbell game, saw us above them in the table. The nearest was probably the Kanchelskis win in '95, but even then they were only 5th in the table.

This week, almost 50 years to the day after their win at Goodison, the roles are reversed. They are almost certain to go on to win the league in a season where everything seems to be going their way and there is scant opposition. Can we do to them what they did to us half a century ago? Can we get just one against the odds win? Can we score one goal, let alone three?

That game in '69 was the only home game I missed all season, tucked up in bed with tonsillitis and I knew nothing of the game until my dad got home and broke the news to me. So this year I've made a decision: I've never been to The Pit in my life and with the game tucked away on Amazon prime, I won't be watching and have made the decision not to listen on the radio or follow it on Sky Sports or anywhere else. I'll only find out the score when I come onto GOT some time after 10pm. I hope it will bring us the luck that is long overdue, but somehow I doubt it. I've had enough of the suffering.

Oh Mick
I was there in 1969 in the Bullens rd paddock standing on my beer crate.
Funnily enough I got over that one more easily than other defeats. I think because it was more of a one off and we soon got our revenge at their place later with that 2-0 win.
Apart from Sandys og Hughes jumped all over John Hurst for his goal and I can’t remember Graham’s but I bet it was streaky.
We seemed to have a ponchonse for ogs against them then. I recall John McLaughlin and Tommy Wright both scoring ogs I think in the first few minutes in 1972. And who could forget your og in 1979? It was worse than poor Sandys. You chipped George Wood from the half way line!
Sharpys winner in 85 was something special though and Andy King has a happy knack of scoring in derbies.
It must be boring winning so many derbies for them. At least we can go mad whenever we do win as it happens so infrequently.
I said we would beat Leicester on Sunday for no justifiable reason other than everyone thought we would lose. I wish I could be that slightest bit as optimistic for tomorrow but I’m really struggling. But it’s 11v 11 and we must get 100% effort and desire as a minimum. Anything less will be disgraceful.
I just hope we don’t have a 60 years of Hurt thread in 2029 if I’m still around.
Maybe we will go undefeated against them for the next 10 years because we are playing in a different league...you can only hope for small mercies
1334AEEE-F956-45A4-BEB2-BFBEBE23D6FF.jpeg

Oh Mick
I was there in 1969 in the Bullens rd paddock standing on my beer crate.
Funnily enough I got over that one more easily than other defeats. I think because it was more of a one off and we soon got our revenge at their place later with that 2-0 win.
Apart from Sandys og Hughes jumped all over John Hurst for his goal and I can’t remember Graham’s but I bet it was streaky.
We seemed to have a ponchonse for ogs against them then. I recall John McLaughlin and Tommy Wright both scoring ogs I think in the first few minutes in 1972. And who could forget your og in 1979? It was worse than poor Sandys. You chipped George Wood from the half way line!
Sharpys winner in 85 was something special though and Andy King has a happy knack of scoring in derbies.
It must be boring winning so many derbies for them. At least we can go mad whenever we do win as it happens so infrequently.
I said we would beat Leicester on Sunday for no justifiable reason other than everyone thought we would lose. I wish I could be that slightest bit as optimistic for tomorrow but I’m really struggling. But it’s 11v 11 and we must get 100% effort and desire as a minimum. Anything less will be disgraceful.
I just hope we don’t have a 60 years of Hurt thread in 2029 if I’m still around.
Maybe we will go undefeated against them for the next 10 years because we are playing in a different league...you can only hope for small mercies
View attachment 72798
Yeah I remember those OGs - Mick was unlucky as that was a perfectly weighted back-pass that the wind got hold of and it drifted over George's head. Didn't John Bailey join the club with a header from a corner late on one year? A 1-0 defeat I think. Be nice if Robertson or the reincarnation of Bobby Moore returned the favour tomorrow night.

On 6th December 1969 Everton were riding high at the top of the league, well on their way to claiming their 7th League Title. They were playing a glorious brand of football built around their famous 'Holy Trinity' of Kendall, Ball and Harvey, supported by a blend of young and older players that included current England internationals like Gordon West, Tommy Wright and Brian Labone, and future internationals like Joe Royle.

That December day their visitors at Goodison were their old rivals from the other side of Stanley Park who, in contrast to Everton, were a team in decline with many of their successful team of the 1960s now almost literally on their last legs.

The teams lined up:
EVERTON: West; Wright, Brown; Kendall, Labone, Jackson; Whittle, Ball, Royle, Hurst, Morrissey.
LIVERPOOL: Lawrence; Lawler, Wall; Strong, Yeats, Hughes; Callaghan, Ross, Thompson, St. John, Graham.

Everton were at full strength apart from Colin harvey, missing with an eye infection, and Jimmy Husband who was replaced by Alan Whittle, later to play a key role in the title triumph.Of the Liverpool team, only Hughes and Callaghan were to have any long term future at the club. Ross was a player Shankly regularly drafted into the team when they met Everton to do a man-marking job on Alan Ball.

So Everton went into the game as hot favourites, lauded by the press and by experienced judges within the game for their style of football and seen as the team most likely to topple the talented but ruthless, and widely disliked Champions, Leeds United.

A typical tight and hard fought Derby ensued, resulting in a goalless first half. But in the 2nd half something almost unbelievable happened as the much fancied Everton crumbled and Liverpool scored three goals through everyone's favourite, Emlyn Hughes, and Bobby Graham, with, sandwiched between, a spectacular own goal from the luckless Sandy Brown (pictured below).

View attachment 72785

The 3-0 defeat was a huge blow for Everton but they immediately recovered with a couple of 1-0 wins and went on the win the league by a 9 point (2 points for a win) margin from second place Leeds, and gained some revenge over Liverpool by winning 2-0 at Anfield. It was a brilliant season, one that is still cherished by every Blue old enough to have seen it. Their home record for the season saw 17 wins, 3 draws and just this one solitary defeat, which should be easy to shrug off but still sticks in my craw after all these years.

How did it happen that their mediocre team, dismantled by Shankly at the end of the season, could come to Goodison and beat one of our greatest ever teams 3-0?

In the 70s and early 80s when they were top or near the top we managed a few honourable draws but never a win. Our only victories at their hovel have been when we were the better side in the mid-80s, and our last win there ,the Kevin Campbell game, saw us above them in the table. The nearest was probably the Kanchelskis win in '95, but even then they were only 5th in the table.

This week, almost 50 years to the day after their win at Goodison, the roles are reversed. They are almost certain to go on to win the league in a season where everything seems to be going their way and there is scant opposition. Can we do to them what they did to us half a century ago? Can we get just one against the odds win? Can we score one goal, let alone three?

That game in '69 was the only home game I missed all season, tucked up in bed with tonsillitis and I knew nothing of the game until my dad got home and broke the news to me. So this year I've made a decision: I've never been to The Pit in my life and with the game tucked away on Amazon prime, I won't be watching and have made the decision not to listen on the radio or follow it on Sky Sports or anywhere else. I'll only find out the score when I come onto GOT some time after 10pm. I hope it will bring us the luck that is long overdue, but somehow I doubt it. I've had enough of the suffering.

Great write up, mate.

My feelings as an 11 yr old were somewhat different I saw the game as a culmination of the pernicious Shankly revolution which never seemed to take a backward step. The 60s were pretty even between the 2 clubs but my recollections, bar the 66 final, was of them stealing the limelight with bargain basement players pumped to the eyeballs charging through teams and winning their first fa cup.

They were a busy, hard running, no frills outfit the antithesis of the school of science but were turning over better teams like us - I mean 3nil at our place???

I remember festering with old hands who must have seen Dixie and they just scoffed calling them "yard dogs" but a few years later when Toshack and co beat us in the cup semi final the tide had well and truly turned

I always reckon those old hands summarised our problem - we never took them seriously in those formative years. The world of football has suffered ever since we should have got into them when we had the chance

We got our revenge in the away game that will stay in my mind for an age winning 2-0
We put played them that day and Osgood on the Kop with many blues and my older brother aged 15 yrs old - what a team performance that was setting on us in the run to be Champions.....
Then to see that team dismantled was heartbreaking.......

The teams lined up:

View attachment 72785

How did it happen? Shankly pulled a tactical fast one. He played the fast and tricky Thompson with 11 on his back as a false number 9.
And Bobby Graham with 9 on his back on the left..a fast goalhanger in the (not as good obvs) Lineker mold out wide cutting in.
To say confusion reigned is putting it mildly.
Anyway I still love Sandy despite the OG

I actually once met John Hurt in Manchester when we were staying in the same hotel. Didn't recognise him at first as he looked a bit 'worse for wear'! Lovely man and a true Evertonian.
I met him one evening in the early 80s (he was, i found out later at the playhouse.) He was stood on the line watching Old Cathinians play somebody in a mid week evening Zingari game, when they played on a pitch opposite W Derby Golf Club (all house now of course)...they also had a nearby club with flexible opening hours, (which was popular with the occupants of W. Derby Police Station, hence the flexible)
As stated a true blue and well up on footy in general in the...'he needs to tuck in more and he needs to push up more' way.

Status
Not open for further replies.