2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that waiting for the selling teams to get desperate can be a viable tactic, and I don’t doubt that there are good deals to be done on deadline day- we did some ourselves last summer. However time and time again it’s been proven that teams who do their business early and with a clear plan are the teams that push for the top of the league and go deep in the competitions. If Zaha for £70 plus million is the answer, then my question is what exactly is the point of a DOF? Digne and Bernard are the types of signings I want Brands to be making, not flapping around on deadline day with cash burning a hole in our pocket.

I just hope we are lucky with injuries in key positions. Because we are thin. If you don't agree then fine, that's up to you. But I don't remember many seasons where we've had a regular clean bill of health.

We dont need 75 players mate!!

Oh no....pennington has gone....Im fuming we dont have a replacement for him. Brands out. boooooo.

We dont need 75 players mate!!

Oh no....pennington has gone....Im fuming we dont have a replacement for him. Brands out. boooooo.

Don't think I ever mentioned Pennington.

I'd have liked us to sign someone actually capable at centre back. We lost 2 senior ones so to sign 0 is great work from the club.

I get that waiting for the selling teams to get desperate can be a viable tactic, and I don’t doubt that there are good deals to be done on deadline day- we did some ourselves last summer. However time and time again it’s been proven that teams who do their business early and with a clear plan are the teams that push for the top of the league and go deep in the competitions. If Zaha for £70 plus million is the answer, then my question is what exactly is the point of a DOF? Digne and Bernard are the types of signings I want Brands to be making, not flapping around on deadline day with cash burning a hole in our pocket.

It’s a shame, base on the event these few days, the blame will be on his shoulder if this season ends up badly, more so than Silva.

Don't think I ever mentioned Pennington.

I'd have liked us to sign someone actually capable at centre back. We lost 2 senior ones so to sign 0 is great work from the club.

The CB is the big risk area for me. Wide players we have Walcott in reserve, whole Kean can play out there. It's not perfect but it's passable.

At CB Holgate as first reserve with Gibson behind him is short, especially as Mina is a little injury prone.

Disappointing deadline day, not a disappointing transfer window. We have definitely left ourselves exposed at CB unless one or two of the youngsters step up and surprise us. Injuries to our CB's is going to have a big influence on our season I think. Overall
Stronger at RB
Weaker at CB
Maintained at Centre Mid (I believe that Delph and Gbamin should make up for losing Gueye and could be an improvement?)
Stronger in Striker position (even if Kean takes time to settle we have another decent option there)
Maintained on the Wings (I know we lost Lookman but he didn't impact our season last year so we are no worse off)

So optimistically we have strengthened in two areas of the pitch and weakened one, crucially it's at CB. You could also argue we have strenghtened our goalkeeper options, but we didn't need to call on anyone other than Pickford really last season.

And they called Moyes “Dithering Dave!” At least he had the excuse of training players, planning pre-season trips, his insistence on watching players in person at least a few times, etc.

What does Brands do with his time - painstakingly plan his next suit purchase on the Armani website?

The deals he has done have been positive ones,he’s decreased our wage bill,he hasn’t got us a centre half(yet) and he wouldn’t pay a lump sum for Zaha. I’m happy with this window. Yes maybe he could have done better but it’s still progress.also there is still a couple of weeks to hopefully get rid of a couple of players to European teams. Now the hard work starts ,it’s over to Silva and the team.Come on you Blues

And they called Moyes “Dithering Dave!” At least he had the excuse of training players, planning pre-season trips, his insistence on watching players in person at least a few times, etc.

What does Brands do with his time - painstakingly plan his next suit purchase on the Armani website?

This post makes you sound about 12 years old.

How many high profile players did Moyes land in his 11 years at Everton? A fat 0.

The deals he has done have been positive ones,he’s decreased our wage bill,he hasn’t got us a centre half(yet) and he wouldn’t pay a lump sum for Zaha. I’m happy with this window. Yes maybe he could have done better but it’s still progress.also there is still a couple of weeks to hopefully get rid of a couple of players to European teams. Now the hard work starts ,it’s over to Silva and the team.Come on you Blues
I would say that’s a fair assessment. I think CB is his only real failing. If we’d walked away earlier in the week from Zaha when Palace started getting silly over the fee I think there would be considerable less fume.

Status
Not open for further replies.