Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m holding out hope for Malcolm. I think the ‘I couldn’t dislodge Messi/Ronaldo/any other top top class player from a starting place, so I want to play first team’ level/type of player is ideal for us. Clearly got the talent, wants to play and probably for a knock down price.

That should be our target market IMO (to be fair I actually think it is, looking at recent transfers).

A goal scorer yes, A striker no, He gets bullied too much and goes to the ground way too often. He can't take a kicking like DCL does or run after the ball like DCL does, He did impress in some but if he was our main striker I'd be seriously worried.

In a 4-2-3-1 I'd agree. He ended up quite isolated at times and didn't have the hold-up play to be a lone striker.

The huge number of links to wingers (particularly the left footed right winger type we've been confirmed to be after) is making me wonder if we're in fact looking to change to a 4-3-3 system similar to Liverpool, with possibly Richarlison as the centre forward and a midfield of Gueye, Sigurdsson and Gomes.

I think he'd work better as the centre forward in that system as he'd be less isolated and not needed to do as much of the dirty work a lone striker is expected to, similar to Firmino.

Pure speculation and maybe it's been debunked before, but I always had Silva down as more of a 433 style manager than our current system and wonder if it's the long term plan.

The thing with Neres is, I dont think we would pay over £50mill for him, at least not in one upfront payment, the fact we got Gomes for such a low fee fills me joy that Brands seems to negotiate fees well. Also, it is that much of a risk? I am sure Brands knows him pretty well already, will know his personality and how he would fit in at Everton, so I dont think its as much as a risk as you think.

Excellent points, both.

It will take a while to rid me of the notion that all transfer gambles will fail. Ultimately, Brands has already earned himself a lot of trust and if he sees fit to pay whatever he can barter Ajax down to for this lad, then that in itself should alleviate my fears somewhat.

In any event I think we would need a striker as well, were we to sign Neres. Given the probable outlay involved there, even if it isn't £50m, we need to hope the July fire sale goes well!!

He hasn't really. Someone asked who he liked growing up and he said Arsenal and Barca. It wasn't like he said this window he would only go there. He wants to move on so I don't think he will be that picky
I think a player of his quality at the reasonable price of €35m he could practically go wherever he chooses. I think that if he did have a preference for a team, which ever club that would be, he would near certainly go to that club.

Marco Reus will be a great signing for Everton. Won’t cost much since he is not that young anymore. Not sure why no PL clubs are after him.

...I recall last pre-season Silva saying he was very impressed with Joe Williams and he’s been in demand from Championship clubs for a while. Silva wants him to be part of this pre-season so he is of interest.

He’s got good size and movement about him, and is ultra-competitive. He won’t be found wanting for attitude, he’s not scared of playing, indeed he’s a bit nasty. He suffers a lot from injury, I think that’s got lots to do with his competitive edge. He’s the type managers like.

Excited to see Joe Williams actually

I think a player of his quality at the reasonable price of €35m he could practically go wherever he chooses. I think that if he did have a preference for a team, which ever club that would be, he would near certainly go to that club.
In a world where every top club makes smart transfer decisions this would be true but we 100% do not live in that world.

Status
Not open for further replies.