With “fans outside Merseyside” being a common insult to the reds, why are the scouser Everton fans thoughts on international Everton fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you go abroad and see anyone in an Everton shirt you see a fan. If you see anyone in a rs shirt you don't see a fan, just someone wearing a replica top.
Spot on. Was on holiday last week out in little town in burgundy in France and had my Everton training top on. We bumped into a young french lad with an Everton shirt on who couldnt really speak any english but was clearly chuffed to meet an evertonian. He was a fan not a glory hunter in a replica shirt and you immediately feel a kinship with a fellow blue.

If you go abroad and see anyone in an Everton shirt you see a fan. If you see anyone in a rs shirt you don't see a fan, just someone wearing a replica top.
I've given up striking up a conversation with them. If I'm wearing one of my Everton polos - I've got about six - and I spot people wearing Red gear, I
make a point of getting close to them, but I almost never get a reaction. They just don't know

I've given up striking up a conversation with them. If I'm wearing one of my Everton polos - I've got about six - and I spot people wearing Red gear, I
make a point of getting close to them
, but I almost never get a reaction. They just don't know
Braver guy than me, I tend to head in the opposite direction

My old man is a Scouser but I was born in the midlands where my Mum's family is from. Naturally I started supporting the same team as my Dad but now living in Australia, it is frustrating that "Aussie Blues" can't even identify a scouse accent, let alone where Merseyside is on a map. I do find myself looking down on some of them subconsciously as they "picked" Everton, whereas I was simply told from birth that this was the team I support, end of.

In saying that, my Dad does try and wind me up by calling me a wool when I use different slang to him.

Braver guy than me, I tend to head in the opposite direction

No, they're mostly dead soft. There are serious football supporters amongst them, no doubt, but not that many from what I've seen and heard.

Not just them, either. I mean, there are plenty of Man City and Chelsea shirt wearers around and you never saw any years ago.

No, they're mostly dead soft. There are serious football supporters amongst them, no doubt, but not that many from what I've seen and heard.

Not just them, either. I mean, there are plenty of Man City and Chelsea shirt wearers around and you never saw any years ago.
I meant brave as in "willing to engage them in conversation". Life's too short.

I feel sorry for the red Scouse match going supporters, I think they are an endangered species, possibly in aminority to the Norwegian and other plastic fans from all over the place, I think the red Scouse fans should be protected by all means before they become extinct, they are a different breed from the Skychair reds who support “ their “ team in pubs from Southdene in Kirby to Speke and have never been to Anfield

Can Scouse reds watch the game with their eyes or are they required to watch through their phones like the other reds?

My old man is a Scouser but I was born in the midlands where my Mum's family is from. Naturally I started supporting the same team as my Dad but now living in Australia, it is frustrating that "Aussie Blues" can't even identify a scouse accent, let alone where Merseyside is on a map. I do find myself looking down on some of them subconsciously as they "picked" Everton, whereas I was simply told from birth that this was the team I support, end of.

In saying that, my Dad does try and wind me up by calling me a wool when I use different slang to him.
scouse , yam yam and Aussie , bet your lingo sounds good!

well, if EFC don't like int'l fans, I've read in the fishwraps that Real Madrid are going to offer me six tapas of my choosing and two .5 liter cans of Mahou to rep them after my tour of Bernabeu today.

let me know if i should burn kits and ditch my EFC keychain with the Nike logo.

Maybe there's another thread to discuss this, but the Echo calling Everton to task for not courting Yanks enough and playing more matches in America

Link

Everton's great American mistake and how they can use former stars to rectify US disillusionment
Joe-Max Moore, Brian McBride, Tim Howard and Landon Donovan have all worn the Royal Blue jersey with distinction during the past two decades

• BY SAM CARROLL
  • 15:35, 24 JUN 2019UPDATED10:17, 25 JUN 2019

Another Everton pre-season has been confirmed without a trip to the United States of America.

Joe-Max Moore, Brian McBride, Tim Howard and Landon Donovan have all pulled on the Royal Blue jersey with distinction during the past two decades but the Blues seem reticent to boost their standing across the pond.

Donovan, for his part, believes he knows why.

"The challenge with Everton is they don't, in American eyes, have the history or the sexiness of the teams in London - and then Manchester United and Man City now," he recently told The Blue Room.

"They haven't had the money to bring in the superstars in the way those other clubs have. In that way, it's been really hard for them to make a dent in this market.

"If you grow up a soccer fan and you turn on the TV you're always watching Arsenal, Tottenham, Manchester United, Man City or Chelsea - so it's very difficult to make a dent that way.

"So either having a superstar period or a superstar American player is one way. Aside from that, it's being successful.

"It takes time, and if they really want to invest the time, resources and energy to do it they could certainly make a dent.

"They've got many former players here that would be happy to talk about what that club is, what it means. We're doing it naturally, but they could certainly invest resources to make that impact deeper."

The American superstar went on to admit Everton have not done enough to harness his celebrity, nor that of former team-mate Howard, who also possesses a large pull Stateside.

"I believe Tim made the biggest impact on American awareness of Everton in general," Alex Johnson of the American Toffee Podcast told the ECHO.

"Donovan’s loan stint was probably beneficial, however not a driving force. It is easy to forget that it was difficult for Americans to consume Premier League football on TV until five, six years ago."

Jeff Wallner, a journalist based in Ohio and massive Blue adds: "Howard did so much to create awareness of Everton in the states.

"You’d be hard-pressed to find an Evertonian here who wasn’t at least partly influenced by Howard’s time in Blue. I believe Howard was at least partly an impetus for spawning Everton USA.

"I don’t feel as if Everton took full advantage of the opportunity to promote itself while he was at Goodison."

0_JS90012201.jpg

Donovan, Johnson and Wallner are all in agreement, then.

But what could the powers-that-be at Goodison Park do next?

"The best thing for the club to do right now would be to take advantage of Wayne Rooneyplaying for DC United and come to the capital for a friendly match this summer," Johnson ruminates.

"Everton should also be far more active on the US social media accounts and do more with the official supporters club network here."

Sections of the fan-base from both sides of the Atlantic Ocean were surprised when Marco Silva's complete pre-season schedule was announced without a trip to America.

The last time Everton travelled to the States was under Roberto Martinez in 2013 when high-profile friendly matches against Juventus and Real Madrid were scheduled.

Wallner adds: "A tour in the U.S is long overdue. They missed an opportunity to play in Colorado before Howard retired.

"There was some talk about featuring a match against Rooney but nothing transpired. I do realise it takes an enormous financial commitment to travel to the States but once Howard retires, hire him as a spokesperson.

"Few former players express their love for Everton more eloquently than Tim. Help the supporter’s groups grow and help them leverage social media to lure new fans here."

This is not to say that efforts in America are nondescript from the marketing team at Goodison.

Wallner's Cincinnati supporters group, for example, received signed memorabilia from current stars Bernard and Michael Keane last term. Proceeds raised from auctioning Keane's jersey were then passed forward to Everton in the Community .

Alex and his co-host have also been given merchandise and a photograph was featured in the matchday programme on Merseyside.

But Everton can do more.

Listening to Jeff talk, in many ways, makes you realise the smallest of contributions from the club make the American experience so much more fulfilling for supporters who, quite literally, put their life on hold to follow the Blues.

"I didn’t plan on Everton becoming such a large part of my life," Wallner adds. "This club has consumed me. I have made great friends that I never would have met if I hadn’t supported Everton.

Landon Donovan

"I’ve driven to the pub on Saturday mornings as early as 7 a.m. on matchdays thinking, ‘This is crazy’.

"If you would have told me 20 years ago that one day I would travel 4,000 miles to Liverpool, England all because of a soccer club, I would’ve paid for your therapy.

"But there I was last March, fulfilling a dream to see a match at Goodison for the first time. I made a choice to support Everton, but in many ways, I was chosen."

Supporter groups are growing in America and Wallner believes almost every city now has one. "There is no lack of opportunity and that is still true today," Johnson adds.

It is now time to begin taking advantage.

I know that I can't take no more
It ain't no lie
I want to see you out that door
Baby bye bye bye

I bit my tongue the other day ij and I don't take pleasure in this cause it was a good shout. Buy that was 2000. It was a pivotal time in my life and can't have that down as a 90s one.

Status
Not open for further replies.