Foreign players in the starting eleven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool_Blue

Player Valuation: £35m
I know it’s probably happened before, but I noticed today Chelsea started with no British/Irish players. You just wouldn’t see that in any of the other top leagues. I would hate us to go down that route, I think you lose a “connection” with your team.

Surely there should be a requirement to field a minimum number (3 say?) of British/Irish players? Is there a rule of some sort on this, or is it the amount in “the squad”? I can’t see how home grown players are going to get a chance to improve unless that requirement is in place.

I want us to field the best players we can get and I am utterly unconcerned as to their place of birth.
I will confess to enjoying having a Merseyside contingent as long as they are good enough, outside of Merseyside however everyone’s the same to me ( I can’t understand any of them.)

giphy.gif

Who? What did i miss?
On 2 May 2011, Alonso was arrested following his involvement in a car accident in Madrid. He was the driver of a car that collided with a wall, killing one of the passengers, a 22-year-old woman, having been driving at 112.8 km/h (70 mph) in wet conditions in a 50 km/h (30 mph) zone, with a blood alcohol level of 0.93 mg per millilitre of blood.[32][33] He faced 21 months in prison when sentenced in February 2016, but his punishment was changed to a €61,000 fine and a driving ban of three years and four months, which had already been spent

Russia implemented a rule like the one you mention. A lot of fans said it actually hurt Russian football more as it prevented the clubs from being competitive in europe and attracting talent.

On 2 May 2011, Alonso was arrested following his involvement in a car accident in Madrid. He was the driver of a car that collided with a wall, killing one of the passengers, a 22-year-old woman, having been driving at 112.8 km/h (70 mph) in wet conditions in a 50 km/h (30 mph) zone, with a blood alcohol level of 0.93 mg per millilitre of blood.[32][33] He faced 21 months in prison when sentenced in February 2016, but his punishment was changed to a €61,000 fine and a driving ban of three years and four months, which had already been spent

Hmm... Seems a little vague. Do you have any more information?

EU mate! The days of Celtic and winning European Cup with lads born in twenty miles long gone!!! Think of the start of the Premiership - was there 15 playing then? Bob the Pole amongst them!!!

Think Villa were the last team to play a starting eleven in the Premiership who were all British. And that was many years ago. Defying this logic......aren’t all Sheff United’s current squad all British?

Current UK Employment legislation, Premier League minimum squad eligibility criteria, work permits for Non EU citizens, ‘homegrown’ status for U23s.......all play a part.

For us, the crest on the front of the shirt is far more important than the name on the back. That said, I reckon we do better than many in giving local - and I mean by that homegrown Everton Academy players - a chance in the first team ahead of the myriad of different options available from abroad.

The game is a global one these days. You don’t have to be the best in your county these days to get a chance, not even your country, or to be honest to the top sides, your continent.

You have be be considered one of the best in the world at your position if you are to be considered a regular

Status
Not open for further replies.