2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
£100m in transfer fees to be had from that pile of crap? Please jot down your workings out.

Agreed, I'd say 75M at best

Jagielka FREE
Williams FREE
Browning FREE
Galloway FREE
Pennington 1M
J. Williams 1M
Besic 8M
Mccarthy 10M
Schneiderlin 12M
Bolasie 8M
Sandro 5M
Mirallas FREE
Tarashaj 3M
Niasse 8M
Tosun 10M
Sambou FREE

Reactions: Tez

Jagielka FREE
Williams FREE
Browning FREE
Galloway FREE
Pennington 1M
J. Williams 1M
Besic 8M
Mccarthy 10M
Schneiderlin 12M
Bolasie 8M
Sandro 5M
Mirallas FREE
Tarashaj 3M
Niasse 8M
Tosun 10M
Sambou FREE
Don't think we'll get money for Sandro, due to high wages we'll have to give him away.

Jagielka FREE
Williams FREE
Browning FREE
Galloway FREE
Pennington 1M
J. Williams 1M
Besic 8M
Mccarthy 10M
Schneiderlin 12M
Bolasie 8M
Sandro 5M
Mirallas FREE
Tarashaj 3M
Niasse 8M
Tosun 10M
Sambou FREE
Might clear about £25m for that car boot sale.

This is a serious question - does anyone know what his job description is?
Surely transfers cannot be it. I hope that it is to do with squad devt, moving players along in age groups, thinking of how and whether someone is improving etc?
It seems now though, that our success and failure is more linked to his performance than Marco Silva's. which I think is a good thing.

Jagielka FREE
Williams FREE
Browning FREE
Galloway FREE
Pennington 1M
J. Williams 1M
Besic 8M
Mccarthy 10M
Schneiderlin 12M
Bolasie 8M
Sandro 5M
Mirallas FREE
Tarashaj 3M
Niasse 8M
Tosun 10M
Sambou FREE

I think we could get a couple more for Besic, a couple less for Schneiderlin, and nothing for Sandro. |The only people I think would take a punt on Niasse are promotion chasing clubs or relegation threatened ones, same with Tosun. In both cases, 8 and 10 or even up to 12 might be possible!

Jagielka FREE
Williams FREE
Browning FREE
Galloway FREE
Pennington 1M
J. Williams 1M
Besic 8M
Mccarthy 10M
Schneiderlin 12M
Bolasie 8M
Sandro 5M
Mirallas FREE
Tarashaj 3M
Niasse 8M
Tosun 10M
Sambou FREE

About a million pound a week in wages there?

Surely transfers cannot be it. I hope that it is to do with squad devt, moving players along in age groups, thinking of how and whether someone is improving etc?
It seems now though, that our success and failure is more linked to his performance than Marco Silva's. which I think is a good thing.
He is in charge and has final say on all aspects of football at the club
Transfers , contracts , under age teams , academy training facilities are all under his management and authority
Marco trains and picks the match day squad and tactics , subs etc but he is answerable to Marcel
Marcel is answerable only to Moshiri and maybe DBB

I think we could get a couple more for Besic, a couple less for Schneiderlin, and nothing for Sandro. |The only people I think would take a punt on Niasse are promotion chasing clubs or relegation threatened ones, same with Tosun. In both cases, 8 and 10 or even up to 12 might be possible!

Regardless of the transfer fees we get there is a tonne of money to be saved on wages. It's a crude calcultaion but if we average out the wages for the lot of them at say £40k each (conisdering 9 of the 16 are almost definitely on more than that) then that is 640k a week.. and £33.3 million per year!

All hes said is that we cant keep paying utter wasters wages each week.

He wants young hungry players with high transfer fees and low wages, thats all he said, he didnt say we wouldnt be spending any money, he simply said we wouldnt be WASTING money.

3 players this window? Are you a joker? We win on Saturday we go 7th, the squad is more than good enough to retain 7th, we dont need 3 players, we would LIKE 3 players, but even then they aint gonna get us higher than 7th, so why even bother?

I'm not even sure he meant that. Comments made at an AGM don't relate to the policy of transfers of that same transfer window. It was clearly meant as a broad strategic shift in how we recruit, which will inform the business we do in all windows including January.

Essentially we will not be as fearful of paying big fees for younger players. Clearly the fear of the club is having lads tied down to long contracts, on huge contracts we cannot shift. Consider why it might be. If you can't find an answer consider what we will do with Bolasie, Sandro, Williams, Martina etc in the summer. Consider what we will do with Schneiderlin now and to an extent McCarthy. Tying liquidity up in wages, over a 4-5 year cycle, with an asset that it's sharply depreciating makes little sense.

At least with a young player there is the potential the player should improve as he matures and thus limit the damage. As a rule, lower wage costs also allow for potentially much better options of loaning a player out. Consider it this way, if a player goes out on loan, where say Aston Villa or Sociedad can only cover a fraction of the wage, they are well aware they have little chance of signing the player full time. There is little incentive to use the player and utilise him fully. Compare that to ourselves with say Gomes (or even Zouma) where we have a prospect of signing both. Who benefits more?

So yes I see his comments as a far broader assessment of our approach. I really wouldn't be looking too much into them for an incite into what we do this window. The owner of a business is not going to publicly outline the transfer policy of that window using the forum of an AGM.

All we can learn from that, is if policy is being enacted we will be looking for younger and more unknown players who have lower wages.

£100m in transfer fees to be had from that pile of crap? Please jot down your workings out.

There's 16 players, it averages out at just over £6m per player. Some like schneiderlin, Mccarthy, besic, tosun, Bolasie will all be in the £10m-£15m range or just below. Higher than £6m anyway.

He oversees recruitment, scouting and the academy.

Not sure what additional duties his bump up to board level will entail.

I know the main purpose of a DOF is continuity.

If you look at our squad when he and Silva took over, you had players from Moyes, Koeman, Martinez and Gravy Kite in there. All of whom suit a different style of play.

Should Silva leave, Brands will have a big say on recruiting a replacement who’s tactical style compliments the squad and overall team philosophy to avoid yet another expensive rebuilding job to fit that new managers style.

Or thereabouts.

There are others on here much more knowledgeable on the subject than I, who can probably explain it better ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.