2023/24 Sean Dyche

Twice actually, 7th & 10th.

Doing that with the size of our budget at that time was quite remarkable tbh. We are under no illusions as Burnley fans and certainly do not expect to remain in the PL for a prolonged period - it really is nigh on impossible. Most teams that aren't top 10-14 spenders will one season be up against it and could drop.

It's pretty unfair to judge him on not being a perennial top half contender with Burnley (especially Burnley of 5 years ago) - he had quite literally transformed the club (developed training ground/infrastructure with PL money) which has allowed us to kick on. Before he came we were lulling back to being Champ cannon fodder, but Dyche's tenure has enabled us to become a really, really strong player at the top of the Champ with hopes of being able to consolidate as a PL team for a few seasons at a time.

If he gets you into Bramley Moore with out more shenanigans and getting the financial side of things in order, and you guys decide to part ways then that's fair enough - I think he'll have done a decent job and one day will be remembered for stabling the ship, though I believe it'd be fair to give him a proper crack at it.

It's hard to please such a big fanbase that will still have a significant % of supporters remembering the success of the 80s - certainly doesn't help either seeing your gobshite neighbours being resurgent under Klipperty but I do think there has to be an element of realism involved in acknowledging where you're at right now - and that isn't Dyche's fault.
Well 10th is still bottom-table, but I respect someone to keep Burnley up for 6 seasons in a row. I see your club still as yo-yo club, probably most of your fanbase does that too, that every season staying in prem is not self-evident. Burnley probably is that club what I appreciate to not sack a manager with the first crisis.

I mean the latest games have been promising, with 1 loss in 7. A question how often you got frustrated this season with Kompany's approach that cost a lot of games due to individual mistakes. It's probably better to watch than Dyche's, but still less successful on 1st tier level.

You signed particularly young players with potential, basically no prem ready players, spent a fortune on them for a club of your size, maybe even take into consideration to go down and then back up with the players 2yrs further in development than at the start of 23/24.

Twice actually, 7th & 10th.

Doing that with the size of our budget at that time was quite remarkable tbh. We are under no illusions as Burnley fans and certainly do not expect to remain in the PL for a prolonged period - it really is nigh on impossible. Most teams that aren't top 10-14 spenders will one season be up against it and could drop.

It's pretty unfair to judge him on not being a perennial top half contender with Burnley (especially Burnley of 5 years ago) - he had quite literally transformed the club (developed training ground/infrastructure with PL money) which has allowed us to kick on. Before he came we were lulling back to being Champ cannon fodder, but Dyche's tenure has enabled us to become a really, really strong player at the top of the Champ with hopes of being able to consolidate as a PL team for a few seasons at a time.

If he gets you into Bramley Moore with out more shenanigans and getting the financial side of things in order, and you guys decide to part ways then that's fair enough - I think he'll have done a decent job and one day will be remembered for stabling the ship, though I believe it'd be fair to give him a proper crack at it.

It's hard to please such a big fanbase that will still have a significant % of supporters remembering the success of the 80s - certainly doesn't help either seeing your gobshite neighbours being resurgent under Klipperty but I do think there has to be an element of realism involved in acknowledging where you're at right now - and that isn't Dyche's fault.
After you finished 10th you started going backwards and he couldn’t stop it in the end. And you went down, For me it’s nothing to do with the 80’s I want us to build a young side that will attack and be on the front foot, and have a long term plan, I don’t see a long term plam
With dyche, because he plays one way and won’t change imo. I think he’s to set in his ways.

I’m interested to know why he couldn’t stop the slide over the last few years, was it the style ? His stubbornness ?? And not willing to change, I appreciate he didn’t have a fortune but he spent some
Money, do you think the other prem teams basically worked them out??

So you’re basically saying dyche has no ambition to better himself, happy to sit on a fat contract with his slippers on, his only remit to finish 17th. Personally I’m not having that, he would have gone if a big club had come knocking

Regarding Lampard, I was referring to his squad first half of last Season compared to dyche this season, Lampard had 20 games I think, first 13 the squad was poor, he lost Mina and Godfrey 1st game doucoure 2nd game. Onana and James garner were 2 20yr old kids with no prem experience, Rondon was our only striker first 5, maupay then turned up and DCL played I think in 2 of the opening 13. Yes dyche had a similar squad to work with and lost Gordon not iwobi. But I think he had DCL more and Mina and doucoure were back fit for the 2nd half of the season , dyche is a much better manager

Lampard got derby to a play off final and they lost their best striker Vydra to you. And mason mount was a kid, think it was his first season in men’s football.

I just think his style and record on scoring goals would have put a lot of teams off with an ounce of ambition, including Everton as moshiri could have done for him 3/4yrs before
This squad is better than last year, not far better, but surely some more depth added with Beto and Danjuma and also Branthwaite. Still our depth is not really great. Yet the turmoil has certainly worsened, what certainly has had some impact with all the security around the club. Overall he put us back on a level that's realistically and can be expected of the current squad, it's hopefully not a long term, but short brief snapshot.

The difference is that West Ham, Bournemouth and Wolves suddenly started to reach a far better points output, which worsened the situation last year. Like many said January-March 2024 has not been acceptable from the points-output at all. But luckily, we started winning the 2 most important games in April to not rely on other teams.

So you’re basically saying dyche has no ambition to better himself, happy to sit on a fat contract with his slippers on, his only remit to finish 17th. Personally I’m not having that, he would have gone if a big club had come knocking

Regarding Lampard, I was referring to his squad first half of last Season compared to dyche this season, Lampard had 20 games I think, first 13 the squad was poor, he lost Mina and Godfrey 1st game doucoure 2nd game. Onana and James garner were 2 20yr old kids with no prem experience, Rondon was our only striker first 5, maupay then turned up and DCL played I think in 2 of the opening 13. Yes dyche had a similar squad to work with and lost Gordon not iwobi. But I think he had DCL more and Mina and doucoure were back fit for the 2nd half of the season , dyche is a much better manager

Lampard got derby to a play off final and they lost their best striker Vydra to you. And mason mount was a kid, think it was his first season in men’s football.

I just think his style and record on scoring goals would have put a lot of teams off with an ounce of ambition, including Everton as moshiri could have done for him 3/4yrs before
No, not quite but we tend to sign managers to long contracts here at Burnley - another club would have to pay him out of said long contract.
Aye, we lost Charlie Austin less than a week before the start of our first promotion season with Dyche. Facts are Lampard didn't finish above 6th - losing at Wembley is still not getting out of the Champ and they spent a fair whack in doing so... I mean, look at where Derby are now and the financial mess they got themselves into without getting over the line.

No doubt his style might put teams off - not disputing that, just don't think his achievements with us can be understated really which I feel like people try and do to push an agenda...

Well 10th is still bottom-table, but I respect someone to keep Burnley up for 6 seasons in a row. I see your club still as yo-yo club, probably most of your fanbase does that too, that every season staying in prem is not self-evident. Burnley probably is that club what I appreciate to not sack a manager with the first crisis.

I mean the latest games have been promising, with 1 loss in 7. A question how often you got frustrated this season with Kompany's approach that cost a lot of games due to individual mistakes. It's probably better to watch than Dyche's, but still less successful on 1st tier level.

You signed particularly young players with potential, basically no prem ready players, spent a fortune on them for a club of your size, maybe even take into consideration to go down and then back up with the players 2yrs further in development than at the start of 23/24.
We are only in the question of being a 'yo-yo' club because of Dyche really. We were going nowhere after our one season in the sun with Coyle back in 2009... The money from that went to stabilising the club financially as we were still feeling the effects of the ITV digital fiasco.

Regards to Vinnie; different approach, different times and not really for this thread. He stepped into a much 'better' BFC than Dyche and has done some really good stuff... Some not so great stuff. It's telling that we've gone on a bit of an unbeaten run after reverting back to Muric who was brilliant for us last year (yes despite a few cockups) but he gives the team so much more. Never understoof the Traff signing and I think he's quite overrated but again, that's going off on a tangent.
After you finished 10th you started going backwards and he couldn’t stop it in the end. And you went down, For me it’s nothing to do with the 80’s I want us to build a young side that will attack and be on the front foot, and have a long term plan, I don’t see a long term plam
With dyche, because he plays one way and won’t change imo. I think he’s to set in his ways.

I’m interested to know why he couldn’t stop the slide over the last few years, was it the style ? His stubbornness ?? And not willing to change, I appreciate he didn’t have a fortune but he spent some
Money, do you think the other prem teams basically worked them out??
Yes, because money and funding for the first team was withdrawn as the owner was looking to sell.

Look at our windows from 2018-2020 - three seasons without any real significant players in to improve the starting XI... No team is gonna maintain their level like that, especially when you've been punching above your weight!

I just think that any team that is in the bottom 5 spenders will eventually have a season or two where they will struggle and then it's a case of whether you drop or not. It's happened to bigger clubs than us with bigger budgets.

I think in today's football world some things are massively overstated/emphasised. I can't think of many managers that would establish and keep a midtable champ side up in the PL for 7 seasons in today's world. It cannot be understated just how hard that is. It's not like he took a super well established PL team down with a rich benefactor that has 40K going on every week. Crikey our previous owner quite literally made most of his personal wealth selling the club that Dyche had built!

Anyway - this is off at a tangent now... My overriding point is, despite the mid-late season drop in form/results, I think he's still doing a good of a job as anyone could be doing at this moment in time.

Trouble is none of us know how much, if any, say he gets in transfers unless I'm mistaken and he has come out and said it's his department. None of the incoming transfers so far strike me as definitely being marked out by Dyche.
None of them?
1714157141924.png

Not even one?

Trouble is none of us know how much, if any, say he gets in transfers unless I'm mistaken and he has come out and said it's his department. None of the incoming transfers so far strike me as definitely being marked out by Dyche.
I think he has a say, and I think that’s why Young signed as he doesn’t fit Thelwells approach.

But most signings, certainly we ones we are spending money on, should be Thelwells decisions, that’s the point of him.

No, not quite but we tend to sign managers to long contracts here at Burnley - another club would have to pay him out of said long contract.
Aye, we lost Charlie Austin less than a week before the start of our first promotion season with Dyche. Facts are Lampard didn't finish above 6th - losing at Wembley is still not getting out of the Champ and they spent a fair whack in doing so... I mean, look at where Derby are now and the financial mess they got themselves into without getting over the line.

No doubt his style might put teams off - not disputing that, just don't think his achievements with us can be understated really which I feel like people try and do to push an agenda...

We are only in the question of being a 'yo-yo' club because of Dyche really. We were going nowhere after our one season in the sun with Coyle back in 2009... The money from that went to stabilising the club financially as we were still feeling the effects of the ITV digital fiasco.

Regards to Vinnie; different approach, different times and not really for this thread. He stepped into a much 'better' BFC than Dyche and has done some really good stuff... Some not so great stuff. It's telling that we've gone on a bit of an unbeaten run after reverting back to Muric who was brilliant for us last year (yes despite a few cockups) but he gives the team so much more. Never understoof the Traff signing and I think he's quite overrated but again, that's going off on a tangent.

Yes, because money and funding for the first team was withdrawn as the owner was looking to sell.

Look at our windows from 2018-2020 - three seasons without any real significant players in to improve the starting XI... No team is gonna maintain their level like that, especially when you've been punching above your weight!

I just think that any team that is in the bottom 5 spenders will eventually have a season or two where they will struggle and then it's a case of whether you drop or not. It's happened to bigger clubs than us with bigger budgets.

I think in today's football world some things are massively overstated/emphasised. I can't think of many managers that would establish and keep a midtable champ side up in the PL for 7 seasons in today's world. It cannot be understated just how hard that is. It's not like he took a super well established PL team down with a rich benefactor that has 40K going on every week. Crikey our previous owner quite literally made most of his personal wealth selling the club that Dyche had built!

Anyway - this is off at a tangent now... My overriding point is, despite the mid-late season drop in form/results, I think he's still doing a good of a job as anyone could be doing at this moment in time.
Regarding your last point, yes if we want to stay in the prem and bottom 6 for the next 5 years while playing dog and duck football. Then keep dyche and some Everton fans will be happy with that, but I don’t want that and I want to see a plan moving forward with an exciting team, that’s not happening with dyche

Regarding your last point, yes if we want to stay in the prem and bottom 6 for the next 5 years while playing dog and duck football. Then keep dyche and some Everton fans will be happy with that, but I don’t want that and I want to see a plan moving forward with an exciting team, that’s not happening with dyche
Little bit disrespectful and dishonest calling it 'dog and duck football' isn't it? How old are we?

The point is first need to stabilise and get your off the field stuff in order before you can even begin to think about pushing back up as a 'top 8 contender'.

Where we will disagree is that I believe if given the opportunity, that Dyche could push on with more investment and is certainly, imo, more than just a limited stop gap.

Removing Michael Keane from being involved in any football at all has been a huge enabler of the rest of the defenders form.

His contribution to this season has been a handball in the Anfield derby which cost us a point even when we looked comfortable with ten men.

Its no surprise to me that as soon as we’ve dropped him Pickford Tarkowski Branthwaite Mykolenko have all had good seasons and the defensive record is up there in the league.

I’m really surprised he hasn’t been used more to be honest. Would have lost money on it.

One of the things Sean, gets unfair criticism for is using certain types of players, that fit the negative and untrue stereotype.

When you actually look at it, he’s utilised all of the squad, bar maybe Dele, they’ve all had opportunities to stake a claim. Hes brought many lads in from the cold that have been abandoned and got them to buy into a collective both last season and this. Gomes this season is a perfect example of a player cut adrift, but giving him a role this year and getting him to contribute, he’s managed every single resource in the squad and hasn’t liked others cut players adrift, while we waste money on the not playing. Every resource in the squad is being used.

Dele is prob the only one and that’s a special set of circumstances.

He actually isn’t afraid to axe either then get a response, take Jack Harrison, axed, now has put in two great performances in the last two, responding. Good management.

One of the things Sean, gets unfair criticism for is using certain types of players, that fit the negative and untrue stereotype.
It'd be great to get out of that stereotype by not doing it.

One Branthwaite doesn't change his ridiculous one dimensional approach, doesn't change Young starting every game, etc.

Little bit disrespectful and dishonest calling it 'dog and duck football' isn't it? How old are we?

The point is first need to stabilise and get your off the field stuff in order before you can even begin to think about pushing back up as a 'top 8 contender'.

Where we will disagree is that I believe if given the opportunity, that Dyche could push on with more investment and is certainly, imo, more than just a limited stop gap.
Well we will disagree and we’re getting new owners, new board, new sporting team, so maybe they want to go a different way.

And it’s not disrespectful, the football is shocking. Forget Liverpool the fans are always up for that game, we had chances to beat them under Lampard early last season with a worse starting 11.

We’re the lowest scores from open play, we scored 2 long range goals v forest, arguably they had better chances and 1 stonewall pen not given, we were rubbish v Burnley a gift of your keepr
Won us the game. A point from Newcastle we didn’t deserve, another gift from one of tier players and if it wasn’t for Pickford we’d have been 3 or 4 nil down.