Summer 2024 transfer thread.

I wonder who won't sign Godfrey, Keane or Holgate this summer.

If the club is sensible (lol) it would do a full clearout this summer - selling those three, whose contracts are up summer of 2025 so it's literally now or never, to literally anybody that will take them permanently or at least contribute some of their wages so we know they're never coming back.

Then there are Gueye and Doucoure also expiring in 2025 on huge wages, should be looking to offload these, and Saudi would be a good place to start touting them around.

Gomes, Alli and Young should be said goodbye to at the end of this season as they're out of contract.

In just over a year we should be about 50% down on our wages if we act sensibly, but who'd trust the club to do that?

Fully expecting 'one more year' for Coleman and Young, the others you'd struggle to convince yourself that teams would want to offer money for any of them, maybe at best a tiny fraction of their salary as squad players to the Championship.
Gueye's contract is up this summer. Still a useful player for us, I'd offer him a new contract, but obviously on wages that arnt ridiculous in our current situation. Anyone being offered new contracts has to be on realistic terms.

If we stay up, we need a fire-sale. My issue though is I don't trust the manager and DOF to achieve the reset we need.

We are in desperate need of some creative thinking.

There can be no doubts that the following must leave:

Gomes
Godfrey
Young
Holgate
Keane
Dele (unfortunately)

Danjuma and Harrison are decent players but if we're keeping this manager, there is no point in keeping them.

Then to generate funds it's a pick 'em between Onana and Branthwaite. Choose your sacrificial lamb.

But make no mistake, by the time owed fees have been deducted from any money made, it'll be back to looking round for cast-out loanees from relegated clubs.

It's an absolute disgrace.

It reduces if you no longer go handing out 5-year contracts on crap players bought for £30m pounds.

The likes of Young, Gomes, Alli don't need replacing, and neither will all of Keane, Godfrey or Holgate next summer.

We'll end up selling both of Onana and Branthwaite for probably a combined £120m, and that money will replace both of them, and buy the 2 players that will be enough to cover those 6 mentioned above.

It will probably even stretch to a further player or two, hopefully two wingers, and with no more £70k a week contracts handed out, our wage bill will reduce as a result.

IMO we should not be spending £25m on any players for the foreseeable future. There are plenty of players from abroad or the Championship virtually guaranteed to be better than any of those listed above, bar Branthwaite and Onana, of course.
Us not rating a player doesn't mean they don't need replacing Young has played about 30 games its stupid to say he doesn't need replacing only Holgate and Alli don't need replacing really I wasn't counting them as part of the squad tbh as they haven't played at all Godfrey is literally in the team saying he doesn't need replacing is actually mental. Reducing wasn't the right word I suppose we can reduce the wage bill but not by as much as people are saying players aren't stupid they know what sort of wages they can get especially if theres more than one club in for them and new players get signing on fees and all that so the difference ends up being nothing like people say it will.

TBH there is only Pickford, Tarkowski, Branthwaite, Garner and DCL I am bothered about at all. Everybody else can go. If we had actual wingers and ball-playing midfielders I think DCL would look brilliant once again.

Unfortunately we'll lose Branthwaite this summer, but from the fraction of the money that's allowed to be reinvested, I hope we can be smarter and pick up some players from the Championship or abroad at reasonable prices.

Definitely agree you could get rid of half of this squad without bringing replacements in.

In the first 11 if we were to proceed next season with:

Pickford
Mykolenko Branthwaite Tarkowski Patterson
Onana
Garner New Player
New Player New Player New player

I think most of us would be happy.

The amount of wages out the door as well as fees coming in for others should help us massively.

Squad may be a bit light but quality over quantity.

In what world would any club sell half their entire squad in one summer.

Only 17 players have played more than 5 games worth of minutes.

I think your question is flawed...

"In what world would any club keep"
Coleman
Young
Holgate
Keane
Godfrey
Gomes
Doucoure
Harrison
Danjuma
Beto
DCL
Lonergan
Gana
Maupay
Dele

Id like to see you back yourself here and make a case for why the club should keep each of these players.

The wage bill needs cutting. The first 11 needs improving and the squad needs a total gutting.

Could be, as they are looking for a holding 6.

They wanted to get in Palhinha last minute last season, but it failed, because Fulham wasn't able to get a replacement in this short time. Also Calvin Philips was discussed.

Cannot imagine they would get Calvin Philips with what he showed at West Ham. Palhinha maybe, but I think it's price tag thing, because he extend his contract.

Yes i remember they were in for him. He was someone i mentioned while he was with Sporting.

I think with Barcelona and Bayern interested we should be looking for young players to be included in any deal if we cant persuade him to stay.

Pickford
Onana
Garner New Player

The amount of wages out the door as well as fees coming in for others should help us massively.

Coleman
Young
Holgate
Keane
Godfrey
Gomes
Doucoure
Harrison
Danjuma
Beto
DCL
Lonergan
Gana
Maupay
Dele

Id like to see you back yourself here and make a case for why the club should keep each of these players.

The wage bill needs cutting. The first 11 needs improving and the squad needs a total gutting.

Yes i remember they were in for him. He was someone i mentioned while he was with Sporting.

I think with Barcelona and Bayern interested we should be looking for young players to be included in any deal if we cant persuade him to stay.
We
Are
Not
Selling
Players
In
One
Summer

Thelwell said just a few weeks back that going forward we won't be paying fee's for over 27's which Harrison is.
It would be the right strategy to spend money on players with selling value. I just hope we won't only get young promising players like Burnley, but also some experienced ones that are 1st league proven, for affordable wages. To have that balance in the squad.

We might lose a lot of experience with Young, Gueye or Coleman eg.

Pickford
Onana
Garner New Player

Coleman
Young
Holgate
Keane
Godfrey
Gomes
Doucoure
Harrison
Danjuma
Beto
DCL
Lonergan
Gana
Maupay
Dele

I think the point is more...

yes you can sell all those players...but

- how much are you generating for them?
- what if they don't want to leave?
- what happens if we can't replace them?

regardless of the obvious flaws in the make-up of the squad, it's at least a squad. I also don't think you'll find buyers for many of them given the wages they are on. So then you'd have to release them, effectively paying up their contracts and posting a loss on the balance sheet.

so unfortunately, it's not doable.

we should focus on the players out of contract / expiring and generate whatever small income we can from them. Then we also sell one big prospect.

You were suggesting that we would pay 20m for Harrison and pay him 120k per week in wages.
I said that was nonsense and I still think it is.

Nor do I believe we are paying 120k per week while on loan.
It's 90k on loan apparantly, still too much. Would only pay that for our top 3-4 players.

I think Young gets another 12 months personally. Started plenty in the first half of the season. Now coming on as sub to see out games/ win penalties.

If anything Patterson will be the one offered around clubs as doing his career no good (given how bad he was for Scotland in the last match) just stuck behind two players about to draw their pension and never playing.

Gana a probable aswell, Doucoure still under contract so he'll be here next season up to January.

If we stay up then I think Pickford, Virginia, Tarkowski, Godfrey, Mykolenko will stay. Patterson is an interesting one as management do not seem to have confidence in him, he could leave permanently or on loan.
Michael Keane I feel will want to play and could be sold if a buyer can be found, I think he will not be a starter at Everton even if Branthwaite leaves which he probably will. Some of the Branthwaite fee will buy his replacement.

In midfield Garner, Doucoure will stay. Onana will probably be sold and Andre Gomes will just leave.

In the forwards Dobbin, McNeill, Beto will stay. DCL will be into the last year of his contract and may be sold if he won't sign another.

Danjuma will leave, if a cheap deal can be done for Harrison he may stay but I would not be surprised if we do not try to sign him at all.
I think Coleman and Gueye will be retained as squad options for another season and maybe the same for Ashley Young depending on how short we are of bodies for next season.

I think that leaves a squad of 13-16 players depending on what happens with Patterson, DCL and Keane.

We clearly need probably five or six players . There may be others people would like to see go but that simply isn't practical.

Pickford
Onana
Garner New Player

Coleman
Young
Holgate
Keane
Godfrey
Gomes
Doucoure
Harrison
Danjuma
Beto
DCL
Lonergan
Gana
Maupay
Dele

We've needed a clearout for years. The problem is with half of them, they're on a fat wedge that nobody else will pay them, so the hang onto their contracts stinking the gaff out. Even if we wanted to get rid of that many players, there's no chance we could. The only guarantee is the off contract players and the loans ending, then it's down to demand for the rest. My best guess is Maupay might go to Brentford (especially if Toney goes). Coleman will go into coaching. Gana might get another 12 months if Onana is to be sold. Of the rest, they're either staying or if we're lucky, we can loan them (like holgate this season).