2023/24 Sean Dyche

While I agree with you that we are creating some chances, maybe we aren't training much in finishing moves. It's possible. Dyche was a defender, puts defending and huff & puff above all else and he just might not have shooting drills often.
Seems ridiculous saying it out loud but all managers are different. Martinez famously didn't practice set pieces which was equally ridiculous but it wasn't how he saw the game.
This Everton side are looking a lot like Dyche's Burnley, and that's what bothers me.
He's been dealt a poor hand sure, but some things have to be his responsibility

I just find it incredible that we sell 150 mill in attacking talent in 18 odd months mate and lads wonder why we struggle to finish, that is far more likely to explain our finishing then say the manager forgetting to coach forwards - its honestly reaching. I get it lads are frustrated, anxious and if you have a bit of bias before he came then its easy to find confirmation. But there are massive limits at play that dont get fair airtime.

A good manager, builds from the bottom up, if you lack quality in the final third, you make sure you dont concede - hes turned us into a side with one of the best defensive records in the league.

Does he need to find goals, he sure does - but its incredible the chances we are missing simply incredible, we all see it. Its not like hes holding them back.

I really dont know why our expectations are so high, we've sold all our best players, we've been nailed with one and possibly two points deductions, we stayed up with one of the worst squads in PL history in my opinion last season, we have no administration at the club, we invest nothing despite brining in a lot.

What gives us a right to be higher in the table then the 31 points earned this season - i honestly don't get it or why we deserve it?

You might say ive low expectations and we are Everton and do the faux beat your chest thing - but it means nothing- we've done absolutely nothing in the running of the club to deserve anything more then where we are at the moment, you get nothing for the performance the club has posted since Moshiri took over - so why do we expect more, we are blessed to be in the league and its prob down to Dyche that we still are and have a fighting chance of remaining so, given what that pox Moshiri has done to the club.

Last edited:
Earlier in the year perhaps. But if you're getting 18-20 shots and your xG (I know) is only 2, you're not missing sitters. It's just the aggregation of half chances that make up that number.

We have an attacking problem at the moment, not just a finishing problem.

But a block of games Vs Spurs Twice, City twice, Villa, Brighton and Utd mate. After the next 8 if its still 2 ill be converted.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on whether you see the wingers main job being protecting the fullback as something we default do or something we do because our right backs are poo.

On the left, McNeil will go inside a lot and seemingly be more comfortable leaving Mykolenko a bit more exposed. I think that's because him and the manager back Mykolenko to deal with it should it come back to him more than they would on the right.

It's just hard to say for me, mate. We saw Patterson getting forward a bit in the early part of the season, but then the manager was playing Garner at right-mid.

I do just wonder what his set up would be if we had 2 fullbacks who were categorically competent at both ends of the pitch is all. Right now I don't think we have one. Coleman technically, but he's old.
It honest to god doesn't matter - this is exactly how Dyche has set up and his go to and his only way to play as proven by setting up his teams to play this way since his career started.

Could have Baines and Cafu either side and they'd still barely cross the halfway line.

Its unreasonable to expect an Everton Manager to win a game of football in 3 months.

And you should all just be grateful that Dyche chooses to manage us.
We can be grateful, if we could go for another 10 winningless games and excel to become 2th best in prem to reach 21 games without a win. We are halfway there woah ho.

That's wrong mate, xG only measures chance quality not the expected outcome of a game.

Yeah thats fair rawly, but if you extrapolate for a team and the XG is high, then you can deduct that statistically a team should score a lot and therefore win games.

Its imperfect admittedly and i wasn't arguing otherwise granted, but you'd rather have a high one then not. In this case i rather we had a 6 then a 2.

I said before Brentford earlier in the season when people were loosing their minds that goals weren't coming that it was statistically impossible to have as high XG as we had at the time and not score and so it was, we scored 3 - so a case in point.

Its always been an an idicititive stat rather than an absolute one.

But a block of games Vs Spurs Twice, City twice, Villa, Brighton and Utd mate. After the next 8 if its still 2 ill be converted.

United we had plenty of possession and plenty of time in the final third and really created little in terms of big chances. We actually dominated that game for stretches, especially considering the xG was about the same and they had two penalties included in their number.

United we had plenty of possession and plenty of time in the final third and really created little in terms of big chances. We actually dominated that game for stretches, especially considering the xG was about the same and they had two penalties included in their number.

Yes, it goes back to my point though of lacking quality anyone with a strategic eye - will tell you how you beat Everton is give us the ball, sit in and you get a result, because we lack quality to break the opposition down, I've just been arguing that for the morning - we sold all our best attacking players and teams know we dont have quality.