Goats squad analysis thread 2023/24

If we had good offers for Branthwaite, Onana & Pickford and only needed to sell one--to reinvest...the obvious one would be Pickford.

Both Branthwaite & Onana have over a decade in them while Pickford only around 5 years. Meaning its expected two values to increase while Pickfords will decrease due to his age.

There is a risk where we hold onto Onana & Branthwaite and injury may occur. So its very difficult when to know to take the money.

What we know is that we have to "build from the ashes" as you wrote.

For me, its one of three options:

1: We move on a high number of lower quality players while replacing with a small amount of u21s of a high potential and with lower league experience e.g two players for the right linked: RB/RCB Van De Ven (Boro), RW Asprilla (Watford).

-- Dyche rarely uses subs and so a small squad of e.g 18 + youth players could be fine for next season. Low incomings with high outgoings.

2: Similar to (1) but also sell one of Pickford, Branthwaite or Onana.

For me of the three, id sell Pickford as his value will be at its peak. I would have done this last summer and brought in Verbruggen (now Brighton) or Mamardashvili (still at Valencia).

This summer id be looking at the likes of Mamardashvili or Trafford (Burnley). This should be seen as bringing in a young player of a high level who can also become superior to Pickford. While also generating enough funds for another outfield signing.

-- Im sure we would all love to keep Pickford but as weve seen at RB with Coleman, holding onto players for too long sees their value plummet + can leave us short in quality in comparison to the ageing player.

3: Full on carpet bombing of the squad selling all three of Pickford, Branthwaite, Onana and bring in a new GK, CB, DM/CM, ACM, CF. A new spine and also several new players for other positions as well (e.g new right side).

A massive gamble but on the other hand the team and squad may benefit from a major refresh. It may give the team a new identity and under Dyche for a season before the new stadium it could be the perfect time and perfect manager with low risk tactics.

Thelwell has some major decisions to make.
The longer this season goes on (when will it be over) the more I'm looking at Thelwell, Dyche and whoever else is making footballing decisions.
Is Dyche going to give proper playing time and progress to any younger players brought in.
When is this club going to shake off the higher price paid for mediocre players and be a club that young players would look to go to.
It takes risk, vision and belief to buy lower none of which the club seems to have - thats inevitable decline for any club in the PL that isnt protected and intrinsic to the PL brand (the 3 reds and the minted blues - theyd cut adrift City and Chelsea if gravy wasnt rolling in). Everton has been stubbornly resistant but unless the dice is rolled (or impossibly sense and values return) Dyche becomes the last stand.
Dobbin's a good example. Harrison in terms of attack has been as bad as anyone who has played RW for this club in the PL. He is not a forward he is a defensive winger. Who is likely to replace him - RB Young not forward Dobbin.
Is Dyche to blame for this or is it Thelwell and co. Was Dyche always the man to make up for their lack of astuteness?
Upstairs courage seems to have been abandoned long ago (always remember that smugness around Seamus transfer rolling on for years - like it fell in the lap)
And now it's embodied on the pitch...and toxic in the stands.
Transfers? I know where I'd be starting.
The fact that 777 is a possibility stinks.
This club needs to find NSNO steering the ship...come what may

Can see the Onana and Branthwaite money being spent on down payments for Beto, Chermiti and Harrison.
Would be an insane thing to do though. Let Harrison go and promote Dobbin (I think Harrison suits us btw).

Control the wages by letting some big earners go. Give Branthwaite a big payrise.

Sell Beto.

Get on the Loan train and grab a centre forward from a big club to blood. Like we did with Lukaku.

Would be an insane thing to do though. Let Harrison go and promote Dobbin (I think Harrison suits us btw).

Control the wages by letting some big earners go. Give Branthwaite a big payrise.

Sell Beto.

Get on the Loan train and grab a centre forward from a big club to blood. Like we did with Lukaku.

….watching him coming through the ranks, Dobbin is much more effective in central positions than out wide. Like Harrison, the game seems to stop when played into him when marked by a full back but give him space in central areas he’s got a great cruising speed in possession that eats up ground. He can join in and get beyond the striker.

I think folk automatically think he’s a winger because of his size but I’m not convinced myself.

….watching him coming through the ranks, Dobbin is much more effective in central positions than out wide. Like Harrison, the game seems to stop when played into him when marked by a full back but give him space in central areas he’s got a great cruising speed in possession that eats up ground. He can join in and get beyond the striker.

I think folk automatically think he’s a winger because of his size but I’m not convinced myself.
You have seen more of him that most Eggs.

Think my point is don’t sell Jarred for mediocrity. If that’s the plan then don’t sell him at all.

Think my point is don’t sell Jarred for mediocrity. If that’s the plan then don’t sell him at all.
We have been linked to the young lad Greaves at Hull who is pretty much a direct replacement, he is a decent player and would do well next to Tarkowski imo but we won't be the only team in for him that's the only thing.

….i agree, he’s a very special talent. If he has to go it has to be for top dollar.

From an investment perspective, selling young a CB for £70m has to be good business if we need significant income. It should be much more difficult replacing a highly valued striker than a CB if we have a DOF who knows the market.

Here is a list from @Zatara from a closed thread. It is the out of contract players at the end of the season

Gomes
Doucoure
Dele
Gana
Coleman
Young
Lonergan
Harrison (loan)
Danjuma (loan)

Not sure if Doucs has extended a year (my memory is shot).

Given the position we are in I would only be looking at Coleman and perhaps Gana for one year extensions to pad out the squad. Also Doucs if he has not extended already.

Harrison at 20m seems too rich for us - the rest don’t even help as squad fillers.

Here is a list from @Zatara from a closed thread. It is the out of contract players at the end of the season

Gomes
Doucoure
Dele
Gana
Coleman
Young
Lonergan
Harrison (loan)
Danjuma (loan)

Given the position we are in I would only be looking at Coleman and perhaps Gana for one year extensions to pad out the squad. Also Doucs if he has not extended already.

Harrison at 20m seems too rich for us - the rest don’t even help as squad fillers.
Gana has a year option in his contract, Doucs has 12months left.

We wont be paying 20m for Harrison.

Gomes
Doucoure
Dele
Gana
Coleman
Young
Lonergan
Harrison (loan)
Danjuma (loan)

It also goes against everything Thelwell said the other week in that interview, no more signing over 27's for money (not to say we wouldn't loan one or sign one on a free transfer but just not pay for and certainly not £20m for someone as limited as Harrison)