2023/24 Sean Dyche

Why? We're 4th in goals conceded this season. 3rd in most clean sheets.
The mad thing is you would think we are camped in our own half with that. But are 3rd in big chances missed. Now i know who determines whats a big chance.
Dyche has to fully own no win in 11 but the teams not all over the place. It just simply cant convert. And footys still a simple game in terms of you cant win if you dont score.
I think that's a fair assessment. When your team concedes relatively few chances, and creates relatively many chances, then you have succeeded to a certain extent. The rest is largely about quality from the players. People tend to forget that it is the players who actually play the game, and not the manager.

Again as a fan boy you’re blinkered, and to question the fans is scandalous

Also there’s a Narrative we create loads of chances every game, which is not the case, Fulham , Palace and Bournemouth have won at Utd all had loads of shots, West Ham did to, the Utd keeper didn’t make a save of note, palace was a shocking performance and they created better chances than us, same at Fulham, they dominated the game, Brighton we didn’t create much.

Hes sets up negatively and can’t drop his favourites, never changes the style, we never win from behind.
His job isn’t very secure imo, what if we lose the next 2 and don’t beat Burnley, someone at the club would have to make a decision, because he would have lost the majority of the fan base by then.
Fulham, Bournemouth yes, but Palace had one set piece to be their only chance. We had 23 shots vs United sounds a lot on paper, but going deeper 2 clear cut chances were the output in the whole game, Beto at the start and the Dobbin one to DCL and the free header of DCL for the corner count the latter 2 as half. That's the worrying thing. Fixtures in the next few games look favorable, but it's really questionable whether we will be able to make this turn around and be ready for the bottom games from the first minute under Dyche. To be fair, I haven't expected us to get more than 2-3 wins in the league given the fixtures from End of December-now, but the results in 2024 have been insufficient. That's what a sacking would make inevitable due to sportive reasons as the teams shows dangerous signs of deterioration and stagnation.

Last edited:
Why doesn't Thelwell get an attacking coach in? He's the boss isn't he?

This situation is the opposite of the Martinez days when we could score but couldn't defend to save our lives. Remember back than a lot were calling for someone like Stubbs to be brought in.

Not sure who is about but it would certainly help now. Any recently retired top strikers about? Probably beneath Rooney but someone like him would be ideal.
Think Ped randomly mentioned Van Persie on Twitter in the aftermath of the Utd game.

Again as a fan boy you’re blinkered, and to question the fans is scandalous

Also there’s a Narrative we create loads of chances every game, which is not the case, Fulham , Palace and Bournemouth have won at Utd all had loads of shots, West Ham did to, the Utd keeper didn’t make a save of note, palace was a shocking performance and they created better chances than us, same at Fulham, they dominated the game, Brighton we didn’t create much.

Hes sets up negatively and can’t drop his favourites, never changes the style, we never win from behind.
His job isn’t very secure imo, what if we lose the next 2 and don’t beat Burnley, someone at the club would have to make a decision, because he would have lost the majority of the fan base by then.

Of course it's not every game, but we create enough in enough games to have got the wins we needed.

It's interesting that you bring up the Fulham and Palace games in the same breath. I agree Palace probably had the better chances despite our dominance, however, we had the better chances despite Fulham's dominance. We are a midtable at best side, so I don't expect us to dominate every game.

I agree about his favourites, that's why he isn't beyond reproach. Disagree we are set up negatively, a big part of how we play is pressing teams in their half, that is the definition of front foot.

Not blaming the fans, but if you go the game then you will know, people are primed to start calling the manager the moment things go wrong. Which I do think plays a part in our inability to turn games around. Ultimately it's on the players and manager but I'd like to feel like we are willing the team on if we go behind rather than moan and groan.

And lastly, there is no one to sack him, there is no money to pay him off and no money to bring in a replacement. New owners could change that like.

The dyche fan boys have gone from saying for the last 3 months, look at the stats, the metrics the Xg. It will turn.

To now saying, there’s nobody to sack him, we can’t afford to sack him and who would come to us

That’s not true at all I could waste at least two hours talking kack about XG, metrics and stats - prob bang on about probability for a bit to! lol

The utter chaos in the boardroom and the revolving door of managers are definitely huge issues. On the other hand keeping managers on just for the sake of stability itself isn't any better. Our problems have stemmed from making the wrong decisions in the first place. The only sacking I could really criticise is the Silva sacking, maybe Allardyce, the rest deserved to be sacked in all honesty and most of them should never have been appointed.
I get why people don't want Dyche sacked, he won't be anyway, there's nobody there with the authority to sack him and no money to pay him and his staff off, but with every poor performance and every game that goes by without a win makes the argument that he's the guy to turn it around weaker. Barring a very large second points deduction there's a very good chance we scrape together just enough points to stay up. Some people believe that if we do that then Dyche will have worked some sort of miracle. I don't. Finishing 6 points ahead of Luton won't be a miracle at all. What I then worry about is next year, with a thinner squad and likely one or more major sales. Will Dyche be the guy then? I'm sure plenty of people will say so, but against better opposition (Leicester, Leeds, maybe Southampton are not Sheffield United, Burnley and Luton) I struggle to see how this manager improves or even maintains our position. Who has he improved in our team? Mykolenko, yes, Doucoure, for a while, yes, currently it's hard to argue that he's not gone backwards, who else?

Fair points.

But I do feel the off the field stuff has a massive effect on the field. I also believe he's got the toughest job in the league.

He has zero support from the people running it (financially and decisions) while it's in flux. He's got a squad that's fought relegation for 2 seasons. There's another threat of points or some sanctions coming by the last few games of the season.

I've said before, he's having to get a points total level with managers who had spend millions due to the points deduction. The squad isn't capable of that but he's trying.

I struggle to see how many managers would be able to keep our position when the club is rudderless.

When it's stable, with a plan, and a goal we can look at the future.

It's game by game at the moment.

It's been the same problem all season, not being able to score goals. We scored 1 goal in our first 4 games despite creating a hat full of chances in the games vs Wolves and Fulham and lost all 4. Funnily enough, we've scored very few goals last season also (second fewest in the league). Is it Dyche tactics, or is it that the players just don't have the quality? It's probably a combination of the two, but either way it's on Dyche to find a solution and get us scoring.

Of course it's not every game, but we create enough in enough games to have got the wins we needed.

It's interesting that you bring up the Fulham and Palace games in the same breath. I agree Palace probably had the better chances despite our dominance, however, we had the better chances despite Fulham's dominance. We are a midtable at best side, so I don't expect us to dominate every game.

I agree about his favourites, that's why he isn't beyond reproach. Disagree we are set up negatively, a big part of how we play is pressing teams in their half, that is the definition of front foot.

Not blaming the fans, but if you go the game then you will know, people are primed to start calling the manager the moment things go wrong. Which I do think plays a part in our inability to turn games around. Ultimately it's on the players and manager but I'd like to feel like we are willing the team on if we go behind rather than moan and groan.

And lastly, there is no one to sack him, there is no money to pay him off and no money to bring in a replacement. New owners could change that like.
The last bit is utter nonsense, moshiri who if the rumour is correct, he’s more involved now than he has been for a while . We go down and he will lose a lot more than 5mil to pay off dyche. If we lose the next game is that our worst winless run in our history??

And he set up the team, I’m not saying we park the bus, but we don’t attack in numbers, like i mentioned yesterday, it’s constantly 3/4 against 7/8 on the attack. He’s never scored a lot of goals in his career as a manger. And plenty of worse teams look more dangerous. Also you need the crowd involved, Lampard was a poor manager, but he was involved with the crowd, I can’t remember to many press conferences where he just waffled on like this fella. Lampard tried to get us on the front foot. That’s what the crowd wants to see. Not just going long and looking for set pieces.

The next 3 games are huge for him, 3 poor results and I’m not sure how he survives

Fulham, Bournemouth yes, but Palace had one set piece to be their only chance. We had 23 shots vs United sounds a lot on paper, but going deeper 2 clear cut chances were the output in the whole game, Beto at the start and the Dobbin one to DCL and the free header of DCL for the corner count the latter 2 as half. That's the worrying thing. Fixtures in the next few games look favorable, but it's really questionable whether we will be able to make this turn around and be ready for the bottom games from the first minute under Dyche. To be fair, I haven't expected us to get more than 2-3 wins in the league given the fixtures from End of December-now, but the results in 2024 have been insufficient. That's what a sacking would make inevitable due to sportive reasons as the teams shows dangerous signs of deterioration and stagnation.
Favourable?? Don’t we have Bournemouth, Newcastle and Chelsea away in 3’of our next 4??

I think that's a fair assessment. When your team concedes relatively few chances, and creates relatively many chances, then you have succeeded to a certain extent. The rest is largely about quality from the players. People tend to forget that it is the players who actually play the game, and not the manager.

I find it bizare that im even posting on dyche as i was probably one of the most vocal against him coming here. But the circumstances change. He was dealt a nothing hand that just got worse with the shambles surrounding the club. I watched Everton under the previous two managers and i had that feeling during games the team were about to collapse. Its interesting reading comments because if you looked at this forum over the past few years every single player who is here has been labelled not good enough. But now suddenly dyche is supposed to make them good enough. He's improved the organisation of the team. I never expected him to improve the quality of the players.
But its being done to death now. Dyche is dyche and without the points deduction he has the team exactly where i thought it would be.

I find it bizare that im even posting on dyche as i was probably one of the most vocal against him coming here. But the circumstances change. He was dealt a nothing hand that just got worse with the shambles surrounding the club. I watched Everton under the previous two managers and i had that feeling during games the team were about to collapse. Its interesting reading comments because if you looked at this forum over the past few years every single player who is here has been labelled not good enough. But now suddenly dyche is supposed to make them good enough. He's improved the organisation of the team. I never expected him to improve the quality of the players.
But its being done to death now. Dyche is dyche and without the points deduction he has the team exactly where i thought it would be.

Its also the maddest season of all time, he's not dealing with a normal situation - in a normal season we're hanging out on 31 points with 10 games to go and there is very little stress and tension, that not the case is it.