2023/24 Sean Dyche

I don’t think we have a deep fear of appointing someone completely new but who’s been out there at the time and who would want to come? Until we get into the stadium and hopefully we are still in the premier league I doubt we can attract anyone half decent, whether that be managers or players.
We've literally never appointed a manager who hasn't already managed in England in our history. We're absolutely terrified of doing something that carries even a modicum of risk.

Edit - I forgot about Walter Smith, instead of England I should have said Britain.

That's a false choice, though, and speaks volumes about the absurd Kenwright (Dyche)/Moshiri (Bielsa) nexus at the top of this club at the time of Dyche's appointment. There were plenty of other coaches but, seemingly, none were considered. Bielsa would have been a disaster, so in a binary choice I suppose Dyche was the only option, but it should never have been a binary choice.
Was it worse than the Lampard (Kenwright) Vitor (Moshiri) option?

Look at the state of these managers and we wonder why we look absolutely crap. Imagine if they had the foresight to say “this is what we want the club to be, this is the structure to do it and we’ll hire managers to meet these expectations”

Nah not us

Was it worse than the Lampard (Kenwright) Vitor (Moshiri) option?

Look at the state of these managers and we wonder why we look absolutely crap. Imagine if they had the foresight to say “this is what we want the club to be, this is the structure to do it and we’ll hire managers to meet these expectations”

Nah not us
Don't get me wrong, this snake is rotting from the head. Dyche is a problem but he's only a symptom, the real problems, the long term problems, reside in the boardroom and I can't see any light at the end of that particularly long, dark tunnel. Sad times.

So the question I’ll pose to you is: with the same set of players that we have, would Bielsa have had us more potent and dangerous in attack.

Because I’m constantly being told that these players can never score or play a different way
In this season for sure, but our defending would suffer as much as the attack under Dyche. Probably 15 goals more, but also 15 more conceded, doesn't take us further with any of them. But a question, what manager would u like to see here atm?

Last edited:
That's a false choice, though, and speaks volumes about the absurd Kenwright (Dyche)/Moshiri (Bielsa) nexus at the top of this club at the time of Dyche's appointment. There were plenty of other coaches but, seemingly, none were considered. Bielsa would have been a disaster, so in a binary choice I suppose Dyche was the only option, but it should never have been a binary choice.
It's really weird how the club has basically set this kind of stuff up the last two managerial appointments. Every once in a while you'll see people post somewhere or another that Everton fans are so stupid we all begged for Frank Lampard, when we all know that in reality what happened is that there was only one other candidate considered, Vitor Pereira, who very obviously would've been a horrific choice with nothing going for him, seemed to be a Kia special, and was giving interviews like he already had the job.

That's true, and what I meant with a less worse appointment by the time. We would have played better football under Bielsa, but go down in dignity.

In this season for sure, but our defending would suffer as much as the attack under Dyche. Probably 15 goals more, but also 15 more conceded, doesn't take us further with any of them. But a question, what manager would u like to see here atm?
God knows; if Dyche changed the way he approached home games then I wouldn’t be arsed with how he sets up away. Just can’t be having the Burnley approach to home games - it’s not acceptable.

When Lampard was binned I wanted the club to be proactive and look outside the PL, appoint a manager that was aligned with the DoF.

God knows; if Dyche changed the way he approached home games then I wouldn’t be arsed with how he sets up away. Just can’t be having the Burnley approach to home games - it’s not acceptable.

When Lampard was binned I wanted the club to be proactive and look outside the PL, appoint a manager that was aligned with the DoF.
I agree it's the set up why we didn't get enough points vs Wolves, Luton, Bournemouth, Palace and Fulham it's 4 points in 5 games. Might have won points vs Tottenham or Villa, as it works against better teams, but we don't have a different plan to teams on our level or below, that's true.

This type of manager was needed after Carlo already.

I don't want to get someone that is in managing 1-2 years in championship did a decent job playing good football for now. It has to be someone that did it on first tier level, with a club that cannot spend a lot, but proved to work well in difficult circumstances, developing players and play proactive football. For me, that means rather pressing oriented, than possession. Top 5 league best, but also Portugal, Dutch or Belgium league for example.

What you think about him? Posted it on another thread earlier this week, he's running out contract and highly reputated here.

My point is that even skip fire Everton are a relatively attractive job, frankly any PL job is.

I would argue that your argument that nobody could do better than Dyche despite us doing very, very poorly for the past three months combined with the fact that many posters have pointed out examples of other poorly performing teams being turned around by unfancied managers who have shown tactical flexibility and an ability to improve players is looking less and less defensible.

You seem to be a big Dyche fan and yet accuse others of a lack of objectivity, I would encourage you to step outside your own biases and look at the form guide and the performances on the pitch and ask yourself if we are improving or in decline.

Wouldn't say a big fan. But I'd say he's the right man for this period of unrest.

My objectivity is down to arguing about wanting him gone based on our current form. Personally I base a large part of it on the squad and resources and was always going to happen in the season.

I'm more confident he'll turn it around compared to the last 2 managers.

If he's still in charge by next season, he'll be the longest serving manager since Koeman I believe.

That kinda shows our decline more than anything.

Dyche has admitted, multiple times, that he shouldn't have been the Everton manager but, because of "reasons", he is.

The long and the short of it is that he needs to play people in their positions and a crapload of other parts. I get he has us set up to be a counter-attacking club and we're not BAD at it but boring the home crowd to death is a terrible way to play. Godfrey is an awful footballer; his best attribute USED to be running fast. ANYONE who is 38 should almost never be a starter, even an emergency one.

He's really a poor manager who refuses to change but tows the company line so all love him.

Dyche has admitted, multiple times, that he shouldn't have been the Everton manager but, because of "reasons", he is.

The long and the short of it is that he needs to play people in their positions and a crapload of other parts. I get he has us set up to be a counter-attacking club and we're not BAD at it but boring the home crowd to death is a terrible way to play. Godfrey is an awful footballer; his best attribute USED to be running fast. ANYONE who is 38 should almost never be a starter, even an emergency one.

He's really a poor manager who refuses to change but tows the company line so all love him.

we are stuck with him and it’s end of that

we pray we stay up

The point was a simple one - we've struggled for goals before Dyche. Lampard had us on 15 goals in 20 games when Dyche come in.

If someone wants to go as far back as Ancelotti, then we've got to acknowledge he had much better attacking players/capability to score goals than what we have now.

If we had Digne and Richarlison on one flank over Mykolenko and McNeil, and a younger Coleman and Rodriguez on the other over Godfrey and Harrison then we score more goals.

We also had depth, whether it was Gordon, Bernard, Iwobi, Walcott or whoever - we don't have now. We only have McNeil and Harrison. If they have a knock, or in terrible form - they still play.
And thelwell thought Beto, chermiti and jack Harrison were the expensive answers.

out club act normal?
and that’s why we’re a mess