2023/24 Sean Dyche

Dyche football is horrible, the only way he gets away with it is by keeping us up. If he does he will, rightly, be left in place for another season. If he doesn't keep us up however, he will rightly be sacked. I hate the way he has us set up and I would be happy to see him gone tomorrow, but, the ends justify the means, if he keeps us up, give him the start of next season to prove he is the man to keep us playing premier league football when we move into Bramley Moore. I would add a caveat to that, under no circumstances should we renew his contract and allow him to manage us in the new stadium. Line up the best candidate we can get and have him ready to take over in the summer of 25, as soon as Dyche is out of contract.

First paragraph , I disagree with entirely , certainly very little decent football on show for me , and plenty of hoofball .
There is a reason his teams have always been low scoring.
Second point , Gallardo is a top class manager and other clubs successfully appoint managers with no PL experience. For some reason we have a deep fear of this, I don’t know why since appointing only experienced managers hasn’t borne much success to date. Teams in the PL play to the same rules as the rest of the world .
And finally , criticising Alonso because he hasn’t been defeated is hysterically funny . By that criteria he could go his whole career undefeated and you would still question his ability .
I’m not even bothered about Alonso, you have chosen a young manager that has done incredibly well at Leverkusen. For every Alonso there is a Lampard, Gerrard, De Boer, Scott Parker etc etc etc.

Who has Gallardo managed? I
By top class you mean he’s won things in Europe? That’s where most of the best managers and coaches are in the world. So what’s he won here?

I don’t think we have a deep fear of appointing someone completely new but who’s been out there at the time and who would want to come? Until we get into the stadium and hopefully we are still in the premier league I doubt we can attract anyone half decent, whether that be managers or players.

He turned them all down but then the dumpster fire that is Everton football club dropped him a line and he was in headfirst. He wasn't offered anything in the prem before us, why on earth would he turn them down but say yes to us?

The question was why didn't any other relegation threatened club offer him a job.

My response is we don't know if he was or not.

And more fool them last season as we stayed up and Leicester, Leeds, Southampton didn't when they did their manager merrigoround.

Then there's the contradiction. Skip fire Everton but we can attract a "better" manager?

He turned them all down but then the dumpster fire that is Everton football club dropped him a line and he was in headfirst. He wasn't offered anything in the prem before us, why on earth would he turn them down but say yes to us?
Between him and Bielsa as of the situation as we were in 1/2023 Dyche was the less worse option. Would never offered him something till 2025, maybe till the end of season maximum and stick with a better manager then. I know Bielsa too well for saying we would have exactly the same problems as with Dyche, just the defense not the attack as he is also a stubborn manager.

Between him and Bielsa as of the situation as we were in 1/2023 Dyche was the less worse option. Would never offered him something till 2025, maybe till the end of season maximum and stick with a better manager then. I know Bielsa too well for saying we would have exactly the same problems as with Dyche, just the defense not the attack as he is also a stubborn manager.
So the question I’ll pose to you is: with the same set of players that we have, would Bielsa have had us more potent and dangerous in attack.

Because I’m constantly being told that these players can never score or play a different way

I'm not talking about us as a team in the 80s just an 80s style of play in general. My point, which I think you already know, is that there are fans who just want a certain style of play, a style of play that almost nobody else uses in the modern era, and will defend that no matter how unsuccessful and no matter how depressing it is to watch and then use the "we've all got to pull together and support the gaffer" line when they absolutely, positively do not conform to that philosophy when a manager that does not play that style is in charge. The football we are playing now has us on our longest winless run in 30 years but apparently that is fine, according to some. It's not. Not from any Everton manager.
To be honest, I totally agree. It's safety first percentage ball. I've given up on football for the season - no ideas on how it improves with the off field stuff being what it is.

Dyche football is horrible, the only way he gets away with it is by keeping us up. If he does he will, rightly, be left in place for another season. If he doesn't keep us up however, he will rightly be sacked. I hate the way he has us set up and I would be happy to see him gone tomorrow, but, the ends justify the means, if he keeps us up, give him the start of next season to prove he is the man to keep us playing premier league football when we move into Bramley Moore. I would add a caveat to that, under no circumstances should we renew his contract and allow him to manage us in the new stadium. Line up the best candidate we can get and have him ready to take over in the summer of 25, as soon as Dyche is out of contract.
This is a huge stumbling block for me.

If the Dyche baseline of performance is 17th (and that may well be the popular opinion) then that puts us in a dreadful position.

If he over-performs that baseline, we can’t reasonably change him. If he underperforms it, we get relegated.

Even if he sends us down, I can already hear the rationalisation cries of “who would be better to get us promoted?”

The Dyche dirgeball is only one of the ways I feel we’re trapped.

It’s really hard to even imagine a route out of this mire.

We won't improve under his management, he offers nothing new to the players, same rehashed paint by numbers football that died years ago

Answer me why the teams around us play better, attractive football, why they look threatening going forward and play at a higher tempo?

If you mean the teams directly around us. We've won more games than all of them in the bottom 8. As mad as that is.

The question was why didn't any other relegation threatened club offer him a job.

My response is we don't know if he was or not.

And more fool them last season as we stayed up and Leicester, Leeds, Southampton didn't when they did their manager merrigoround.

Then there's the contradiction. Skip fire Everton but we can attract a "better" manager?
My point is that even skip fire Everton are a relatively attractive job, frankly any PL job is.

I would argue that your argument that nobody could do better than Dyche despite us doing very, very poorly for the past three months combined with the fact that many posters have pointed out examples of other poorly performing teams being turned around by unfancied managers who have shown tactical flexibility and an ability to improve players is looking less and less defensible.

You seem to be a big Dyche fan and yet accuse others of a lack of objectivity, I would encourage you to step outside your own biases and look at the form guide and the performances on the pitch and ask yourself if we are improving or in decline.

Last edited:
That's a false choice, though, and speaks volumes about the absurd Kenwright (Dyche)/Moshiri (Bielsa) nexus at the top of this club at the time of Dyche's appointment. There were plenty of other coaches but, seemingly, none were considered. Bielsa would have been a disaster, so in a binary choice I suppose Dyche was the only option, but it should never have been a binary choice.