2023/24 Sean Dyche

Players and manager are both to blame for the abysmal lack of goals.

We have missed lots of good chances throughout the season. The players haven't been anywhere near good enough, and they need to take responsibility to go and put the ball in the net. I don't see enough midfielders or wide players making the run into the 6 yard area, and I see too many players looking at others to go and take responsibility. Players should be desperate to go and get a goal, surely that's why you play football.

But equally we haven't recently created enough high quality chances. We're having lots and lots of what I would see as half chances, and unfortunately average players don't score these very often (you would still hope for better though). We are crossing the ball from very deep and it's very old fashioned or even agricultural to be honest. We need to see our wingers and even full backs get close to the byline, and we need to see the midfield and wide players run beyond the striker to stretch the pitch. When we get the ball on transition, the length of time it takes us to move the ball up the pitch completely negates any chance we have of launching an effective counter attack. That all comes back to coaching and creating systems and ways of playing. I don't see any of that right now, just aimless hoofing and speculative long balls.

I haven't seen any evidence over 14 months that Dyche has improved any attacking players. I haven't seen any identifiable patterns of play implemented for when we are in possession. I haven't seen us press effectively for weeks. And I haven't seen him show any flexibility either with the way he sets the team up or in how he manages the game during the 90. It's extremely limited in terms of what you would expect at this level, and I don't think there is a team with a more limited approach in possession, not even any of the two teams cut adrift at the bottom.

Ultimately the manager has to take responsibility for the lack of goals. It's now the second week of March so the luck argument or talking up stats like XG isn't acceptable at this point. If we were going to revert to what the stats suggest, then it would have hapenned months ago. The players do not look like they go on to the pitch believing they will score goals. That is entirely the manager's remit to fill the team with confidence and it's not going to improve with him publcily criticising them. A good manager takes responsibility for a huge failing like a lack of goals, and certainly doesn't talk about XG. It's become boring and slightly embarassing at this stage.

We have 3 weeks to try and find solutions. A good manager would come back refreshed with something new, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if we see anything remotely different from the manager.

Mate this Cunhas best ever goal return throughout his entire career, with the exception of his first ever season playing for Sion when he got 10. The same with Hee-Chan

My point is that O’Neil found a system that utilises them

And I know, from watching the game they don’t do anything. Its been 42 games and we play the same, predictable slow build up attacking football

And compare to us. Dom's best goal return was standing in the box on the end of pin point deliveries from Digne, James, Siggurdson. When he's had those this season, he's missed.

And I don't see how Dyche isn't playing to Dom's strengths. The whole set up involves him.

But it comes back to the same points. It's not creating it's conversion.

Would you say that Cunha and Hwang are better finishers than Beto and Dom?

Players and manager are both to blame for the abysmal lack of goals.

We have missed lots of good chances throughout the season. The players haven't been anywhere near good enough, and they need to take responsibility to go and put the ball in the net. I don't see enough midfielders or wide players making the run into the 6 yard area, and I see too many players looking at others to go and take responsibility. Players should be desperate to go and get a goal, surely that's why you play football.

But equally we haven't recently created enough high quality chances. We're having lots and lots of what I would see as half chances, and unfortunately average players don't score these very often (you would still hope for better though). We are crossing the ball from very deep and it's very old fashioned or even agricultural to be honest. We need to see our wingers and even full backs get close to the byline, and we need to see the midfield and wide players run beyond the striker to stretch the pitch. That all comes back to coaching and creating systems and ways of playing. I don't see any of that right now, just aimless hoofing and speculative long balls.

I haven't seen any evidence over 14 months that Dyche has improved any attacking players. I haven't seen any identifiable patterns of play implemented for when we are in possession. I haven't seen us press effectively for weeks. And I haven't seen him show any flexibility either with the way he sets the team up or in how he manages the game during the 90. It's extremely limited in terms of what you would expect at this level, and I don't think there is a team with a more limited approach in possession, not even any of the two teams cut adrift at the bottom

Ultimately the manager has to take responsibility for the lack of goals. It's now the second week of March so the luck argument or talking up stats like XG isn't acceptable at this point. If we were going to revert to what the stats suggest, then it would have hapenned months ago. The players do not look like they go on to the pitch believing they will score goals. That is entirely the manager's remit to fill the team with confidence and it's not going to improve with him publcily criticising them. A good manager takes responsibility for a huge failing like a lack of goals, and certainly doesn't talk about XG. It's become boring and slightly embarassing at this stage.

We have 3 weeks to try and find solutions. A good manager would come back refreshed with something new, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if we see anything remotely different from the manager.

I think that a very fair point mate and something i have thought for a while, we create a fair bit but some of that is at a low % chance of actually finishing - not all it must be said. But enough that It is prob a variable.

Ive come to the conclusion thats quality as well, take DCL he was proficient when he had Digne, Jamo, Gylfi and Richarlison creating we have no near that level of quality.

So for me it comes back to the quality of the front four.

Maybe we have.

But mainly due to seeing 6 point deductions, possibly more or a transfer ban, a billion pound debt, and a takeover by some coke dealing Ponzi schemers who don't have any money.

But yeah...we should be competing with City etc.
Why shouldn`t this always be the aim?

Exactly the point when I talk about standards, the standards from our own fanbase is 17th. When we go in to a game against City, anyone, you try to compete to win the game. Ultimately you more than likely get beat but does that mean you should stop trying?

Or just give up?

And compare to us. Dom's best goal return was standing in the box on the end of pin point deliveries from Digne, James, Siggurdson. When he's had those this season, he's missed.

And I don't see how Dyche isn't playing to Dom's strengths. The whole set up involves him.

So what are you saying is a manager came in, found a way to play to a players strength and it paid off by delivering his best ever goal return?

Interesting

Well Dyche refusing to use attacking full backs like Patterson isn’t helping Dom in his quest to stand still and have sitters presented on a plate from crosses is it.

The full backs sit deep and the wingers play like second full backs under Dyche

So I'm not sure how we expect to get good delivery into the box. Especially when he has decided to play Godfrey as a right back.

Issue is he has always been like that as a manager.

I don't think he's tried to be negative (most of the time) as Everton boss. I really don't. But the issue is he just isn't a good enough manager because he struggles to get out of his own way. He's shown that so many times in his career.

The chaos he's had to deal with is ridiculous, but that chaos is the only reason he's here in the first place.
And the reason he will stay in a job...

I think the fact we are trying the same thing and style over and over again is one of the most frustrating aspects. He’s clearly thinks we’re creating enough “chances”. But many of the games are like the United one yesterday, 20 shots, but was there a really good chance? Maybe Dobbin’s.

Has he even swapped McNeil and Harrison to the opposite wing at any point this season? I can’t think if he has. But that would seem a basic alternative, even in-game, which would allow them to cut in and put crosses in, given their lack of pace to beat a full back.

Issue is he has always been like that as a manager.

I don't think he's tried to be negative (most of the time) as Everton boss. I really don't. But the issue is he just isn't a good enough manager because he struggles to get out of his own way. He's shown that so many times in his career.

The chaos he's had to deal with is ridiculous, but that chaos is the only reason he's here in the first place.

Common sense says, if you can’t do it yourself, ie the problem of scoring goals, get someone into help.

Surely there must be professional striking coaches out there, who could be brought into to assist.

I’ve kept my powder dry on Dyche until now, as I accepted from day one, the problems he’s had to face, with the club being a total mess both on and off the field and then the points deduction, but he’s starting to look clueless right now.

Well Dyche refusing to use attacking full backs like Patterson isn’t helping Dom in his quest to stand still and have sitters presented on a plate from crosses is it.

You're obsessed about Patterson. Dyche has obviously prioritised a strong defence. And that seems to be the only decent thing we have going for us.

Now if you're saying mix it up and play Patterson on the right side of a tight midfield I'd be wholly supportive of that. I'm just saying at the moment we can't risk our defence buckling when grinding out 1-0s is pretty much our best hope of survival!