2023/24 Sean Dyche

There are other broader and more systemic factors in the mounting case against Dyche. One is seen in the premature sale of Ellis-Simms. Many supporters could see the potential this lad was beginning to demonstrate. It was on clear display in his run out and equalising goal at Chelsea.
His sale reflects Dyche's general lack of enthusiasm for younger players over the old-old guard and/or his difficulty in developing some of the younger members of the squad. This coupled with Beto as a replacement for Simms looks like poor player assessment.
I do agree about his poor use of academy players. Simms and Dobbin being two glaring ones.

However, based on Thelwells comments, the sale of Simms was more probably a decision based on FFP as being an academy product, it’s all profit. So I don’t think that was Dyches decision to sell.

There are other broader and more systemic factors in the mounting case against Dyche. One is seen in the premature sale of Ellis-Simms. Many supporters could see the potential this lad was beginning to demonstrate. It was on clear display in his run out and equalising goal at Chelsea.
His sale reflects Dyche's general lack of enthusiasm for younger players over the old-old guard and/or his difficulty in developing some of the younger members of the squad. This coupled with Beto as a replacement for Simms looks like poor player assessment.

I'd imagine his sale was more down to needing the money to balance the books, rather than Dyche wanting rid.

The fact we've only had 10 corners over the last 3 game weeks needs to be addressed by Dyche, especially considering how reliant on set pieces we are. Yes, 10 is the fewest in the league over the last 3 game weeks btw. Luton, for example, have had 33 corners over them same 3 game period.
Really strange thing, but we had almost 60% possession in 2 of the 3 games that led to 3.3 corners, but season average is on 4.4. Shows our struggle, when we need to dictate the game.

He hated Lampard because he replaced Benitez, who he had chosen to nail his colours to and never ever back down. That’s literally it. He would’ve had the same hatred for any manager that replaced him, even Dyche if it was him.
There were some who bought the line that Benitez is some master tactician and serial winner ('guaranteed trophies'), and they would have expected to look like football sages by backing him to silence the boo boys with his results.

An incredible moment of hubris, our friend Roberto might say.

Think we’re all guilty of hanging our hats on players and manager and struggle to accept we got it wrong. You listen to the view from the bullens pods. Ben wynstanley and Paul drapper who’re on all the time, both big fans of dyche and constantly defend and make excuses form him, the usual, we create chances, his hands are tied we’d be 13th look at the XG. Last year it was Lampards fault, the year before Rafael. Before then it was Koeman and Martinez. But apparently it’s not dyche’s fault it’s all in the players
i cant bring myself to listen to any of these idiots tbh. All think they know more and are bigger fans than everyone else. Total morons.

agree though, they are quick to blame previous managers but Dyche is fantastic.

There were some who bought the line that Benitez is some master tactician and serial winner ('guaranteed trophies'), and they would have expected to look like football sages by backing him to silence the boo boys with his results.

There were plenty who kept their mouth shut on Benitez when he was on the good run, from the start of the season to October.

Its only as things went South from then onwards did things get more vocal and it became the popular view.

I remember being told to enjoy wins and back the club etc for kicking him after wins. I don't even think he's a bad football manager (people being something else) i just cant stand him.

At least the lads who backed him, stuck with it, there were plenty who went shifty with it.

Sadly, yes I think Iam.
I was a fan of the guy at first, but the past three months of dirge we've been subjected to is depressing.

Then again it's hard to win football matches when you have strikers who are incapable of scoring more than three goals for the season.😱😩

Think we’re all guilty of hanging our hats on players and manager and struggle to accept we got it wrong. You listen to the view from the bullens pods. Ben wynstanley and Paul drapper who’re on all the time, both big fans of dyche and constantly defend and make excuses form him, the usual, we create chances, his hands are tied we’d be 13th look at the XG. Last year it was Lampards fault, the year before Rafael. Before then it was Koeman and Martinez. But apparently it’s not dyche’s fault it’s all in the players

I'm more inclined to support a manager when there's data which backs up the argument. In Dyche's case, there's a reasonable amount of data which points to him having improved us and us either having been unfortunate and/or players really letting him down in front of goal.

There were no data arguments to support Lampard staying on, nor Benitez. Not that I remember anyway. Anything which is subjective, such as style of play or being someone who will "unite the fans" (still haven't forgotten that one that people were on the Lampard bandwagon for), I tend to ignore because it's just typical football fan waffle that everyone gets caught up in and is never going to be worth attaching any importance to.

If you can support an argument with facts and data, I'm much more inclined to pay attention. So the Dyche argument in a nutshell is:

• Without a points deduction (which he cannot be held accountable for), we would currently be 13th. That's not up for debate, so any arguments about him should be made as if that's where we are, because that's what he has delivered.
  • We have, for two successive seasons, been in a relegation scrap until the last game or two of the season. That's your benchmark that you're measuring Dyche's improvement on. It's open to debate how much people think a manager should reasonably be expected to improve on that in this period of time, so I won't bother expressing an opinion, but again that's the reality of the situation.
  • The data we have access to says that we have improved in terms of performances vs the last couple of seasons. It also says our results haven't matched the performances. Those, again, aren't up for debate. You can absolutely have a discussion about whether Dyche has been unfortunate or whether he is doing something as a manager which is meaning we aren't taking the chances that we are creating, but fundamentally the facts are that we have created chances to have scored more goals than we have had chances against us to concede goals, that's the first time this has happened since 2019/20 and only the 3rd time in the last decade.

One league win in the last three months almost. Your definition of doing okay sure does differ greatly to mine!

Is expecting at least a couple of league wins wins December 16th too great of an expectation now? Are we really downgrading expectations now to this pathetic extent?

I get your point. You can only sit back and watch a manager go so long without a win. It's just a fact, and one that Dyche will be well aware of.

However, there is caveats. There's the added pressure that has been heaped upon players and manager by events beyond their control. Also, the no win since December 16th sounds way worse than it actually is. It's nearly 4 months some might say, well yes, but we've 'only' actually played 10 league games in that period, we've played Spurs twice, and City twice in that spell, and it's probably fair to say that we've only had three really disappointing results in that period. Wolves away, Luton at home and West Ham at home.

This win-less run can only go on for so long or Dyche will have to go, but I do still have some sympathy and understanding for him though. Not least because if somebody told me before the start of the season that we would be deducted 6 points, then I would have expected nothing other than a relegation scrap.

My favorite back then was Eddie Howe. As a Spanish I knew pretty much that Benitez' football was quite stale at this point. He did a solid job at Newcastle and Napoli tho.

I'm still shocked of how he managed to have a good start here with 3 wins and 1 draw in his first 4 games of prem to then completely fall off.

The fact we've only had 10 corners over the last 3 game weeks needs to be addressed by Dyche, especially considering how reliant on set pieces we are. Yes, 10 is the fewest in the league over the last 3 game weeks btw. Luton, for example, have had 33 corners over them same 3 game period.
That just proves how 💩Harrison and Mcneil have been in recent weeks