2023/24 Amadou Onana

I’d say Rodri or Rice are top top players and they are absolutely miles better right now. He’d have to step up massively to be near that level. Not saying he can’t, but would surprise me.

For me, it won’t be an issue. The game time that Rodri and Rice have does improve them; I think once Onana is playing with a better coach and more fluent system, he’ll just look next level

his issue is consistency, sometimes he plays the game in second gear and some he look anonymous.

But when the team looks to have around 30% of the ball for most games, he’s essentially just an expensive athlete in this team

Yeah actual physical data.

And that's just adding to the fact anyone with eyes can see he's our 3rd best player.

Stats aren't the be all and end all of judging a player. I'm just using them to back up my opinion.
It’s pretty clear to me
Our best players in order goes
Pickford
Branthwaite
Onana
Tarkowski

Then there’s nobody I’m excited about. Nobody going forward who gets me off my seat
It’s great having a solid defensive unit but Dyche is working with so much crap in the final third, players like Onana couldn’t be further away from being the problem

My eyes keep telling me that he is still strolling through the game with plenty of poor passes to go with the good ones and still going missing game after game after game. His first half performance on Saturday was very poor.
The best holding midfielder do stroll around though. Gareth Barry was top class and I can’t remember him ever sprinting, that’s who Onana is most like from our modern history plus he is starting to become more of a threat using his height from corners too which would be welcome.
I remember all these players strolling through games in their prime and it not being a problem: Rice, Rodri, Casemiro, Yaya Toure, Pirlo, Guardiola, Vieira, Petit etc.

Not saying he’s as good as those obviously but those were all top class midfielders who I don’t remember putting sprints in - he’s not lazy for doing what his position requires

I know what you mean because he has the potential to make good ground but unless he's charging into empty space he'd be losing it straight away. There's no ability to dribble round a player there.
Just the thought of him striding into final third with ball at feet. Would surely unsettle defences. As well getting us up the pitch.

The best holding midfielder do stroll around though. Gareth Barry was top class and I can’t remember him ever sprinting, that’s who Onana is most like from our modern history plus he is starting to become more of a threat using his height from corners too which would be welcome.
I remember all these players strolling through games in their prime and it not being a problem: Rice, Rodri, Casemiro, Yaya Toure, Pirlo, Guardiola, Vieira, Petit etc.

Not saying he’s as good as those obviously but those were all top class midfielders who I don’t remember putting sprints in - he’s not lazy for doing what his position requires
Yes Gareth Barry was excellent but his speed was in his head, seconds ahead of most players and continually in the game attacking, thanks to James McCarthy giving him the ball a lot, and his own tenacious tackling ability then probing and drawing players out of position before making his passes.

Onana is nothing like that and most of those players you mentioned had the ability to carry the ball through a defence and make a goal or score one and were constantly in the game not now and again, if Onana is not lazy he could certainly do a lot more than he does, a whole lot more.

Yes Gareth Barry was excellent but his speed was in his head, seconds ahead of most players and continually in the game attacking, thanks to James McCarthy giving him the ball a lot, and his own tenacious tackling ability then probing and drawing players out of position before making his passes.

Onana is nothing like that and most of those players you mentioned had the ability to carry the ball through a defence and make a goal or score one and were constantly in the game not now and again, if Onana is not lazy he could certainly do a lot more than he does, a whole lot more.
What evidence have you got that he's lazy? You're totally ignoring the fact that he's doing the job Dyche asks of him, 14 recoveries on Saturday, he's playing as a 6 but people expect him to bomb forward? Dyche wouldn't allow that!

We average less than 30% possession per game and he’s told to sit in front of the back 4. We hardly see our fullbacks overlapping so I’m not sure why you’d expect to see Onana breaking lines going forward

He’s doing exactly as instructed, we are very stagnant, off the ball shape oriented team

I’d say Rodri or Rice are top top players and they are absolutely miles better right now. He’d have to step up massively to be near that level. Not saying he can’t, but would surprise me.
These arguments always fall down when you name names instead of using nebulous terms.

Nobody can ever just be a decent player.

Do notice he gives away possession a lot with forward passes in the final third but think this is much to do with static movement in front of him and lack of overlapping full backs than anything else.
He’ll become a very good player in a better team I think. Be surprised if he’s here come next season.
But people say he doesn't pass forward?