2023/24 Sean Dyche

Wait. What?

Why cant Dyche build something long term?

Stats wise with this squad its very impressive apart from finishing -- solely on the players.
Wasn't too long ago that it was simply a case of adding goals to Lampard's impenetrable defence, 'Coady and Tarkowski for England,' etc.

A team that camps deep and struggles to retain possession is never going to start scoring goals without opening up its tight defence.

Dyche is no different than Pulis, Allardyce, Bruce and the like (they've all found ways to squeeze a lot out of a little at various times); he believes in his approach and is very unlikely to deviate from it. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, yet his biggest supporters seem determined to try to talk themselves and others into believing that he's suddenly going to become something he isn't for no other reason than because they want it to happen.

Wasn't too long ago that it was simply a case of adding goals to Lampard's impenetrable defence, 'Coady and Tarkowski for England,' etc.

A team that camps deep and struggles to retain possession is never going to start scoring goals without opening up its tight defence.

Dyche is no different than Pulis, Allardyce, Bruce and the like (they've all found ways to squeeze a lot out of a little at various times); he believes in his approach and is very unlikely to deviate from it. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, yet his biggest supporters seem determined to try to talk themselves and others into believing that he's suddenly going to become something he isn't for no other reason than because they want it to happen.

Bang on

Yep. He played the same way when Burnley were the best team in the Championship. Fair enough, it worked, but the idea he’ll change his style because he has better players is nonsense.

Come on everyone pure pragmatism here.

He has walked into an absolute shambles of a club, and inherited a mediocre squad of players.

Financially we cannot afford to 'sack him', and his backroom staff.

Watching EFC since the mid 1960's, and this is some of the most turgid football=performances I have ever witnessed.

Dyche is stuck in aspic and cannot evolve or change his football 'philosophy'.

At this moment in time it is all about staying in the PL, and despite his limitations and faults he will probably achieve this.

I wish it was different, but sadly we are where we are.

Being optimistic and ambitious has to be based on solid ground, and with us it's sand at this time.

Allardyche ball is dreadful. Fans will take anything though if it means we get to stay in the Premier League and less at risk of relegation.

I havent generally picked up that vibe. More a counter view that he should be attacking more and getting better out of what he has. You cant take away whats happened, the points deduction. Otherwise he'd have the team sitting pretty comfortably where most people thought he'd have the team. A good distance from relegation. Me personally i expected nothing more. And if the strikers at the club were not so shy of scoring, you know more than 4 between them all season, maybe a bit higher.
I'm honestly struggling to see what expectation levels are other than survival. Tbh i thought most people were at that level at the start of the season and would have even been more at the level with a points reduction and the recruitment of a loan signing and someone we havent even payed for yet.
There wasnt much to work with at the start. A few body blows later even less. I think dyche has done what i thought he would. On the road we've gone from a soft touch(for years) to an organised side that doesnt collapse.
It was never going to be easy on the eye and i thought we all knew it.

Creating chances is not the same as putting them away.

We don't have the forward players capable of firing us any higher than mid table IMO.

Looking at our stats (aside from finishing) we look top 6. Thats it, thats the point.

Jesus are your serious didn’t you not see his Burnley team for 10 years.
How does hoofing it long and hoping for a corner achieve things long term

A pragmatic team put together for barely any money compared with competitiors?

Totally unattractive name, brand & location.

As for Dyche leaving in the summer.

Were 4th now for our defence, 10th down from 8th with injuries for chances created and 2nd for hitting the woodwork.

What places do you think those 3 stats would be next season if we changed manager?

Because without better finishers we wont be climbing the table with anyone.

Does he have "supporters" ?

Or is he building good faith by having good stats (why everyone including me lauded Potter) and getting points on the board?

I wanted Silva to stay, I also wanted us to bring Potter in due to his teams stats. Those stats were very similar to Dyche in terms of everything looking good aside from forwards missing chances.

People might not like it, but our default way of playing for the last 30 years has been the same, tight at the back, hard work and try and nick a goal, flair, pace, skill etc has not been common at Everton for a very long time, we have had a few seasons under Moyes and one under Martinez where the football was better (and we won, I have no interest in passing round and losing)) but other than that we have been very functional for a a very long time, to blame Dyche for our poor football is in my opinion wrong, the scrappy underdog who dig in has been our DNA for a long time

Looking at our stats (aside from finishing) we look top 6. Thats it, thats the point.

A pragmatic team put together for barely any money compared with competitiors?

Totally unattractive name, brand & location.

As for Dyche leaving in the summer.

Were 4th now for our defence, 10th down from 8th with injuries for chances created and 2nd for hitting the woodwork.

What places do you think those 3 stats would be next season if we changed manager?

Because without better finishers we wont be climbing the table with anyone.

Does he have "supporters" ?

Or is he building good faith by having good stats (why everyone including me lauded Potter) and getting points on the board?

I wanted Silva to stay, I also wanted us to bring Potter in due to his teams stats. Those stats were very similar to Dyche in terms of everything looking good aside from forwards missing chances.

Have you ever watched a game of football or do you just read the stats afterwards?

Anyway, Dyche is actually the least of the clubs problems at the min. We are heading toward an iceberg with nobody at the wheel of the ship.

Yep. He played the same way when Burnley were the best team in the Championship. Fair enough, it worked, but the idea he’ll change his style because he has better players is nonsense.

Why do we 'need' or 'want' the style to change?

Surely if its effective then we should be happy for it to continue?

The only metric which is poor is finishing.

Hilarious that you think these players and this manager could ever be close to the top 6.

Where did i write that?

I havent generally picked up that vibe. More a counter view that he should be attacking more and getting better out of what he has. You cant take away whats happened, the points deduction. Otherwise he'd have the team sitting pretty comfortably where most people thought he'd have the team. A good distance from relegation. Me personally i expected nothing more. And if the strikers at the club were not so shy of scoring, you know more than 4 between them all season, maybe a bit higher.
I'm honestly struggling to see what expectation levels are other than survival. Tbh i thought most people were at that level at the start of the season and would have even been more at the level with a points reduction and the recruitment of a loan signing and someone we havent even payed for yet.
There wasnt much to work with at the start. A few body blows later even less. I think dyche has done what i thought he would. On the road we've gone from a soft touch(for years) to an organised side that doesnt collapse.
It was never going to be easy on the eye and i thought we all knew it.

I thought around 12th place. Without the deduction and shocking finishing wed be above that.

Dyche in the Premier League has applied a survivor approach. He is not focused on being the best of 20 teams because his talent level at Burnley and Everton has not made that viable. He is trying to be better than the bottom 3 teams and stay up. That means you try to win games 1-0. It is tough to watch but he is likely a good manager for this moment in time.

100% This

Have you ever watched a game of football or do you just read the stats afterwards?

Anyway, Dyche is actually the least of the clubs problems at the min. We are heading toward an iceberg with nobody at the wheel of the ship.

Well one thing is certain, i have far more appreciation for pragmatic football than you.

Some of the best teams ive seen have been with a solid defence...difference being they had players that finished.

What a shame youre focused on pretty football and not effective football.

Well one thing is certain, i have far more appreciation for pragmatic football than you.

Some of the best teams ive seen have been with a solid defence...difference being they had players that finished.

What a shame youre focused on pretty football and not effective football.

We haven’t won in 9 matches, not incredibly effective is it?