6 + 2 Point Deductions

It's a head vs heart isn't it?

In an ideal world, I think we'd all prefer to have one last 'full' season at Goodison, rather than move half way through (myself included). This is probably the probably logic behind the decision.

But this isn't an ideal world and our finances are in the toilet... From a business point of view, we should be maximising our revenue streams ASAP.

I used to think this but honestly couldn’t care less now. I just can’t wait to see the back of Goodison. Every good memory I have from the place is over 10 years old at this point, it’s part of our past as far as I’m concerned. We’re stagnating and gaining nothing from remaining there, it’s actually becoming a disadvantage for the team on the pitch.

1. Get through this season with our PL status intact, free of any further financial investigations.
  2. Withdraw from the Premier League on the day before the new season starts, throwing them in to disarray.
  3. Announce the 'British Super League' (which we've been cooking up in secret over the Summer) which is made up of us + the best Scottish and Welsh sides, with an open invitation to all English clubs apart from the permanently-blackballed Sly 6.
  4. Lose a fortune.

Fixed

Oh I'm sure events/tours/dinners etc will start up as soon as possible. Although I can't imagine income from them would be anything like a match day? Even at Goodison?

I'm just guessing here... I'm not a finance man by any stretch.

I read somewhere that when Wigan were in the premier league they were making more at the DW then we were at Goodison despite GP having double the capacity.

It’s the hospitality provisions that generate the income nowadays

Feels like I've read variations on this theme since forever.

Journo phones lawyer, "hello there, if circumstance x happened, and party y appealed could parties a, b and/or c pursue legal action"
Lawyer "meh, guess so"
Journo "Cracking, let's get that written up and I can get back to hacking dead kid's voicemails"

I used to think this but honestly couldn’t care less now. I just can’t wait to see the back of Goodison. Every good memory I have from the place is over 10 years old at this point, it’s part of our past as far as I’m concerned. We’re stagnating and gaining nothing from remaining there, it’s actually becoming a disadvantage for the team on the pitch.

Same here. It's going to be gut wrenching when we leave though. My first year as a season ticket holder was the season we finished 4th - I had to give it up when I went off to uni in 2009... if only my last game as a ST holder had been us winning the cup in 2009...

Even though I've never seen us win anything (too young to remember 95), I have so many incredible memories being at Goodison with my dad. He obviously has memories of our glory years at Goodison, although he's eager for us to move he's going to be absolutely heartbroken.

I agree we're stagnating and moving is absolutely the right thing to do, but I'd never be able to say I can't wait to see the back of the Old Lady.

It's a head vs heart isn't it?

In an ideal world, I think we'd all prefer to have one last 'full' season at Goodison, rather than move half way through (myself included). This is probably the probably logic behind the decision.

But this isn't an ideal world and our finances are in the toilet... From a business point of view, we should be maximising our revenue streams ASAP.
Not sure the rules allow you to move mid season. I think we have to stay at goodison. I’m sure I’ve read that somewhere.

Edit. Just found it in the rules. You can move mid season with written consent from the PL board if it meets a load of criteria to do so. So we know that wouldn’t happen.

Last edited:
Not sure about the leading lawyer there. He says the overturning of the 'less than frank' bit might encourage other clubs to be less than frank with the Premier League, yet acknowledges that the appeal board criticised Everton for providing wrong information and treated it as an aggravating factor. Presumably other clubs aren't seeking points deductions? The Premier League will be sure to actually allege dishonesty next time.

The idea of other clubs sueing is as silly as it was immediately after the first judgement.

Oh I'm sure events/tours/dinners etc will start up as soon as possible. Although I can't imagine income from them would be anything like a match day? Even at Goodison?

I'm just guessing here... I'm not a finance man by any stretch.

No, you're almost certainly right. Although I will add a couple of things:

- We will still have the right to host concerts and stuff. If we're going down that avenue with the stadium, then I'd expect to see at least one there in summer '25 before the season starts..

- As you say, any events that are not concerts, are unlikely to earn as much as an Everton match-day there. However, we will still be generating income at Goodison, so any revenue generated from BMD during that period will be additional to that.

- As always, there's gonna be a lot of blues who won't be able to afford to go. So I'd expect any test events such as u23 games, women's games to be more popular than usual, as they will offer fans a chance to get in and see the place at greatly reduced rates.