2023/24 Amadou Onana

Should swap and be a pro rapper and model and have football as his hobby?

Am being facetious. It’s the guff that they are quoted as saying in these articles that wind fans up. I really like him as a human, seems cool, smart, polite. If he wants better than Everton at least he is fully engaged with the club, fans, EITC etc. Have never been that impressed as a player. Attributes don’t win games. Performances do.

As long as it doesn’t detract from their day job, the more outside interests players have in this day and age the better. If he as good as everyone keeps telling me, the pressure on him is only going to increase, for club and country. Rap away.

Should swap and be a pro rapper and model and have football as his hobby?

Am being facetious. It’s the guff that they are quoted as saying in these articles that wind fans up. I really like him as a human, seems cool, smart, polite. If he wants better than Everton at least he is fully engaged with the club, fans, EITC etc. Have never been that impressed as a player. Attributes don’t win games. Performances do.

As long as it doesn’t detract from their day job, the more outside interests players have in this day and age the better. If he as good as everyone keeps telling me, the pressure on him is only going to increase, for club and country. Rap away.

This is part of the problem - people are drawn in more by a quote than reading a full in depth interview in which the quote is buried deep inside with the all important context.

People will have seen a clip of him posing as a model with a snappy tagline. Next time he has a stinker it'll be 'IF HE SPENT LESS TIME POSING IN FRONT OF A CAMERA MAYBE HE'D PLAY BETTER'

Calvert-Lewin misses a(nother) sitter 'HE SHOULD BE PRACTISING HIS FINISHING NOT DOING SHAVING ADVERTS'

Tom Davies... something about a skateboard.

None of these things are going to have any impact on their football.

If I am Dyche at the moment I am getting everyone to finch farm, getting them on all on coach and taking them around Bramley Moore. Hopefully it will show players what they are playing towards. Yes you can goto Chelsea and play in front of 40k in a quiet stadium, yes you could but imagine this place rocking with 55k Everton fans screaming your name! I think that’s the message now.
Tell them to make their own way there!

No wonder we are skint!

Don't you just love modern day footballers
I used to worship (most of)our players in the 60's 70's and 80's as heroes
Fat chance nowadays
Honestly, I don't mind what people are into or aspire to, but it's always easier to relate to players who do it on the pitch as well as whatever it is that floats their boat off it. The problem with the modern Everton is we are so badly run we typically attract relatively poor players and most of them don't do it on the pitch - which makes whatever passion they have off it seem self-indulgent.

Remember when the likes of Adrian Heath were into their China Crisis and Echo and the Bunnymen etc? He still bangs on about how great it was in the 80s to see these bands live in Liverpool at the time. Whether you liked those bands yourself or not - or whether older people thought his interests faintly ridiculous or unrelatable - nobody could say Inchy wasn't legendary on the pitch for Everton. So nobody cared what those lads did off the pitch, much of which would probably have appalled certain people back then. Sadly, these days, we simply do not have players of that ilk. That's not really the players' fault. It merely reflects our downfall as a club that no longer truly aspires to the top. And then social media amplifies their other interests and it's really all about personal PR for the players rather than the club...

All that said, I don't believe a word of what I've seen on those images.

Remember when the likes of Adrian Heath were into their China Crisis and Echo and the Bunnymen etc? He still bangs on about how great it was in the 80s to see these bands live in Liverpool at the time. Whether you liked those bands yourself or not - or whether older people thought his interests faintly ridiculous or unrelatable - nobody could say Inchy wasn't legendary on the pitch for Everton. So nobody cared what those lads did off the pitch
That may be true, but in the current era of media saturation and, yes, online forums you can bet your mortgage that after one bad game or one bad miss some nutter would be reaming out Inchy for "constantly being at gigs instead of working on his game" despite it being a gig at 9 pm on a Monday night when he'd just be at home twiddling his thumbs anyway. We're in the era of outrage. Consistent performances or not someone's always getting grief from someone if they're in the public eye, look at any player thread you choose, within three pages you'll find it. I've been guilty of it too, before anyone vaults me!

That may be true, but in the current era of media saturation and, yes, online forums you can bet your mortgage that after one bad game or one bad miss some nutter would be reaming out Inchy for "constantly being at gigs instead of working on his game" despite it being a gig at 9 pm on a Monday night when he'd just be at home twiddling his thumbs anyway. We're in the era of outrage. Consistent performances or not someone's always getting grief from someone if they're in the public eye, look at any player thread you choose, within three pages you'll find it. I've been guilty of it too, before anyone vaults me!

I'd hope he was never just sat at home twiddling his thumbs. He should be watching and studying the upcoming opponents at every opportunity to gain the edge. If he REALLY had to do other stuff, he can just turn off the commentary and put a CD on of Echo and the bunnyMen. If he was a true blue, he'd know what it means.

I've highlighted your salient point.

This is part of the problem - people are drawn in more by a quote than reading a full in depth interview in which the quote is buried deep inside with the all important context.

People will have seen a clip of him posing as a model with a snappy tagline. Next time he has a stinker it'll be 'IF HE SPENT LESS TIME POSING IN FRONT OF A CAMERA MAYBE HE'D PLAY BETTER'

Calvert-Lewin misses a(nother) sitter 'HE SHOULD BE PRACTISING HIS FINISHING NOT DOING SHAVING ADVERTS'

Tom Davies... something about a skateboard.

None of these things are going to have any impact on their football.

It's the twitter generation, after 140 characters people stop