Financial Fair Play investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those clubs threatening to sue Everton would be wasting their time. They don't have a contract with Everton, so there's been
no breach. Premier League clubs have a contract with the League and not with each other.
Well can I ask you then about how Middlesbrough and Wycombe were able to contemplate suing Derby if your analysis is correct and the fact the EFL did not seek to quash it when they should have if what you said is true. Do the rules differ in this respect?

They probably didn't welcome it but they didn't declare it forbidden either

Well can I ask you then about how Middlesbrough and Wycombe were able to contemplate suing Derby if your analysis is correct and the fact the EFL did not seek to quash it when they should have if what you said is true. Do the rules differ in this respect?

I guess "contemplated" is the answer mate. I am no legal expert, but because Derby were a bit cheeky, that does not directly mean other clubs were affected. Bristol City may have had similar discussions with the EFL that we did with the prem. I read that Richard Gould and Lansdown were fully expecting a sanction this/last season, so sommet happened to clean their act/books up. Could have been a few player sales I guess, again, like us.

I guess "contemplated" is the answer mate. I am no legal expert, but because Derby were a bit cheeky, that does not directly mean other clubs were affected. Bristol City may have had similar discussions with the EFL that we did with the prem. I read that Richard Gould and Lansdown were fully expecting a sanction this/last season, so sommet happened to clean their act/books up. Could have been a few player sales I guess, again, like us.
We sold Semenyo and continued to show cutbacks and hopefully it will be enough to get us down to £39m, I expect we have just scraped it. Maybe a couple of million clear. We also haven't signed a PL loanee since summer 2020 and fairly sure we couldn't spend on fees until such time as the Semenyo deal went through, January 2022, summer 2023 and most of January 2023 saw no fees spent. Unofficial soft Embargo or monitoring requirements maybe.

I do know that to 2023 was where there was an anticipated issue. To 2022 our books were fine as they were to 2021. In 2022 we were speaking of a sanction applicable in 2022-23 for that season itself. Several other clubs too, I query on varying levels Fulham, Nottingham Forest and Stoke e.g.

Just on a general note, for the best League in the World the PL approach to governance especially but not limited financials is really quite slack. It's not a standard of Governance to match the status of the League.

From my point of view, this looks very much like our media have gotten wind about a pretty routine investigation and because they are thick, blown it totally out of proportion.

Sports journalism in this country is another level of terrible.

It’s the same in every country.

Their most important metric is engagement. They are not thick. They are creating articles which everyone hates which is exactly what they intend. Rage bait gets the most engagement.

It’s the same reason message boards don’t ban the trolls. Sure they ban the ones who aren’t smart enough to avoid swearing too much or direct attacks. But every board has a few “regular” trolls. The trolls are the most valuable posters — driving “engagement.” This creates a toxic environment of course and eventually leads to less profits. TrollSport and the papers are just baiting every fan every day using the regular troll playbook. Race to the bottom.

City at the correct end of the table have been under investigation for years under FFP - are they going to take trophies off them ? No ...
Maybe they will. And expulsion from the league is a possibility.

These are are the sort of things the press would be saying if we had the same as City's allegations.

Maybe they will. And expulsion from the league is a possibility.

These are are the sort of things the press would be saying if we had the same as City's allegations.
If City got binned off out the league that would be the start of the European Scab League and I think the PL know that

Those clubs threatening to sue Everton would be wasting their time. They don't have a contract with Everton, so there's been
no breach. Premier League clubs have a contract with the League and not with each other.
It was a good while ago but Sheffield United sued West Ham and got a settlement from them after the Tevez situation. I’d happily take an out of court settlement over points deduction, transfer ban etc if it means we stay up though.

Contemplated it but didn't. Either way a lawyer could put up a good defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.