Financial Fair Play investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The publicity and media hype for a case that is yet to be heard does surprise me.

You can say the commission will rule on the factual evidence but at what point could their judgement be potentially clouded in the context of loaded radio discussions and junk articles?

It wouldn't matter if the issue at stake wasn't significant and the potential ramifications so enormous.

The club will rightly remain silent barring the initial rebuttal of the charge, but the impact is worrying and I hope the lawyers are being kept abreast of speculative and negative reporting.

They said last season “we’re happy with Everton’s mitigation” and now say “oh by the way no we’re not”.

It’s all a bit silly while Newcastle’s owners sanction beheadings and pass the fit and proper test.

Which will never stand up in a court of law of course.

Just say Everton are found in breach of ffp and Leeds, Leicester and Southampton are relegated and try sue Everton each for 100 million.
How would that work as Everton can only impact on 1 relegation place which I would imagine means the team that finishes 18th would be the only club that could legitimately sue, not all 3.

It wouldnt work. It would be thrown out and we would be awarded costs.

And that is before you even get to the substantive nature of the case. Which would also fail.

A bit like the idea that this commission would meet before the seasons end. There was never any chance of that happening, and if you can even a cursory experience/understanding of law that would appear blindingly obvious.

Without calling out names as there is no need, a number of posters who made out this was a possibility have really showed up how little they know.

From my point of view, this looks very much like our media have gotten wind about a pretty routine investigation and because they are thick, blown it totally out of proportion.

Sports journalism in this country is another level of terrible.

It wouldnt work. It would be thrown out and we would be awarded costs.

And that is before you even get to the substantive nature of the case. Which would also fail.

A bit like the idea that this commission would meet before the seasons end. There was never any chance of that happening, and if you can even a cursory experience/understanding of law that would appear blindingly obvious.

Without calling out names as there is no need, a number of posters who made out this was a possibility have really showed up how little they know.
This!
Due process has to happen, it's why Ivan Toney has been allowed to play for nearly a year after he was charged with over 200 counts of breaching betting rules. Are Leeds and Forest going to sue Brentford because they fielded a player who scored against them when he should have been banned sooner?? Has anyone done the math and worked out if Brentford would be fighting for survival too without Toney's goal contributions? Of course not. Those clubs around us are fighting for their lives because like us, on the pitch where it matters they have been shocking this season - not because we wasted 500m several seasons ago.

What have we spent on average per season since Moshiri arrived?

A lot of money has been spent and wasted and it's been catastrophic for the club no doubt.

In relative terms, it would still appear to be modest enough though on an averaged basis.

The issue is the failure to improve in football terms and generate associated revenues to balance books and make the club sustainable.

The spending has been grotesque by Everton standards, but I'd be interested to know the precise ins and outs for transfer spending, since 2016 and the outlay.

I know the charge relates to 2021/22 but there has to be context to everything, even before covid and the stadium are mentioned. Nobody can argue that things have not been reined in significantly with more to come.
Its not the spending thats the issue I think, it's that we sold, what, 3 players that we've bought in the last 5 years? Almost everyone we've bought has wound their contracts down and walked for nothing. It absolutely destroys us. It's actually a testament to how awful we've been for years that, besides Richarlison, I can't think of a player we bought and sold at all, much less for a profit.

This has come to light again because of the Ivan Toney thing. Also, due to our two games left, it’s a quick method to try and affect everyone’s mentality going into these games.

Best way of dealing with it, do Wolves, Brighton style and go into the the last game against Bournemouth knowing we are practically safe.

This has come to light again because of the Ivan Toney thing. Also, due to our two games left, it’s a quick method to try and affect everyone’s mentality going into these games.

Best way of dealing with it, do Wolves, Brighton style and go into the the last game against Bournemouth knowing we are practically safe.

Those clubs threatening to sue Everton would be wasting their time. They don't have a contract with Everton, so there's been
no breach. Premier League clubs have a contract with the League and not with each other.

From my point of view, this looks very much like our media have gotten wind about a pretty routine investigation and because they are thick, blown it totally out of proportion.

Sports journalism in this country is another level of terrible.
City at the correct end of the table have been under investigation for years under FFP - are they going to take trophies off them ? No ...

I wish they would, they’ve put the final nail into the coffin for the sport imo
Since Sky money has hit the game - wages astronomic - English players to some extent no chance of getting a game for a top club in certain cases - Grassroots football sent into oblivion - Yes I agree with you - Leicester were the only team to break the mould - now they look like they may be relegated on a few seasons later ... why their better players sold ....

Teams in the prem sign players for the sake of it to stop rivals getting them etc - the sport may one day go back to grassroots ....

A top European league is not far away otherwise ....

Status
Not open for further replies.