2022/23 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe @TheBigIguana is the only one who stood by Iwobi.
Everyone apologise and bow down to him in here please

Big ig, I am sorry.

I mean this pretty terrible that @TheBigIguana is being proven right....
Thank you for the kind words friends. Blind squirrels and broken clocks I think. Glad to see him come good because it was always there in small doses. Now the consistency is and boy is he something.

Glad we finally won one too!

My nephew sits a few seats away from me and knows my past opinions on Iwobi,now everytime he contributes i know i will be getting the 'i told you so look'.
He has an irrational deep dislike for DCL so until recently he has had plenty of the same....

1663617891483.png

Would love the vaults to be opened for Iwobinho - not so much out of ritual public shaming, because most of us are complicit - but more just to reminisce about the times we all thought he was rubbish.

It feels so long ago now and the love runs so deep that it's hard to imagine anybody saying mean things about him.

Would love the vaults to be opened for Iwobinho - not so much out of ritual public shaming, because most of us are complicit - but more just to reminisce about the times we all thought he was rubbish.

It feels so long ago now and the love runs so deep that it's hard to imagine anybody saying mean things about him.
Will people stop doing this.

People said he was rubbish, cos he was rubbish.

Nobody was wrong, nobody needs vaulting.

This has to be done, now the Queens funeral is over we need something new to talk about on GOT

I love Iwobi, and I'm like this with all the players - I want them to come good even if they look rubbish at first. We really really have to give ALL our players a chance even if they're playing badly. Or even if they're not that good! A good manager & DOF will decide. You just never know what is going on with them at Finch Farm, in their family, personal life, health, whatever - the coaching, tactics - it all needs to come together for them to play well. On top of that they need the manager's support - either tough love or the arm around the shoulder. I hope our experience with Iwobi shows we should just support our players unconditionally. At the moment, Keane, DCL, Davies, even Rondon, Pickford (Cos he STILL only gets grudging, mild praise from national media) - players like that just need us! Sometimes we just make simple, binary judgements - ' they're getting paid so much, they have to play well!!' but its not that simple! What recent years and Iwobi's case (and DCL too) show us that what we are like on social media and in the stands 100% gets through to them!

Interesting discussion in the comments after this, on toxic environments and being played in the right / wrong position.

Eccentrix
Guardian Pick
Iwobi was deployed as a wide forward at Arsenal - he did OK but it's not his best position and the negativity (around the Emirates at the time) did not help the performances of a young player whenever he struggled.
Lampard recognised his abilities, identified a position that he thought he could thrive in and gave him the support that he needed to go onto the pitch and make Everton better.
Sometimes, the difference between young players "fizzling out" and maximising their potential is a move to a more amenable environment. This allows them to develop without a backdrop of impatient fans and pressured managers happy to toss them on the scrapheap at the first patchy run of form.
I hope it continues going well for him and Everton. Well done to Lampard.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.