2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the first time I feel we've got a direction under him. His number one aim this summer was to make us far harder to play against because we were a shambles last season and hes addressed that.

Yes obviously we are still clunky going forward but obviously a work in progress.

Absolutely need to build on today but definitely cause for optimism going forward.
I made a post pre season about us going for harder working players who will fight for every ball instead of the usual cast off deluxe players from Barca and the like with no fight in them.

We seem to now have a core of players like Tarkowski, Coady, Onana, Maupay and Patterson (Gana and Iwobi as well) who will get stuck in and fight to the end. Something we’ve been badly missing in recent seasons.

Would be nice to add a bit more attacking flair to go with that at some point as you say, but good signs for Lampard with his first proper window under his belt.

3 man midfield is allowing us to play progressive balls forwards. It’s so much better the passing and movement in midfield now. The weakness is the wing play. Crossing needs improvement. Hopefully Dominic Calvert-Lewin can get on the end of some of those driven crosses into the box

Agreed. It is also a lot harder tactically for teams to play against a 3 in midfield. You could have two 6s and an 8 or a 6 and two 8s. And iwobi or onana can pop up more easily in the half spaces knowing defensively the team is safe. Super glad that Gana transfer was completed, he makes the team tick.

With the personnel he and Therwell have brought to the club, you can see a real identity to our style of play. Work hard, be robust and have more energy around the pitch. It’s still early days with this team, let’s hope this win and a fit Calvert Lewin moves us in after the international break.

Agreed. It is also a lot harder tactically for teams to play against a 3 in midfield. You could have two 6s and an 8 or a 6 and two 8s. And iwobi or onana can pop up more easily in the half spaces knowing defensively the team is safe. Super glad that Gana transfer was completed, he makes the team tick.
Yeah and nice knowing we have garner if anyone picks up an injury

Was hoping he would have come on at the end instead of Doucoure

7 games in and only 1 team has conceded less than us so far, that’s an immense achievement for a side that was almost relegated last year and leaking goals, even more impressive when you consider we’ve had injuries to the goalkeeper and 3 CBs so far.

Lampard and has staff deserve an untold amount of credit for making us a competent defensive unit at the very least, after today it’s clear to see that the goals will come too. Fantastic work done by all.

Serious question...honestly. Does Frank really, really 'get us' or is he just blowing smoke up our arses?

Personally, I really do think he has bought into the Club and it's fanbase and understands the passion and belonging which makes us unique.
I think it’s genuine. He could see the club lacked identity and direction on the pitch. He got the fans onside and has bought well, a mixture of youth and experience that all want to give 100% for the shirt. Said for years the fans can accept being crap if the players leave it all out on pitch. We now have that effort and intensity back, with the added bonus that we now look like a team again.

7 games in and only 1 team has conceded less than us so far, that’s an immense achievement for a side that was almost relegated last year and leaking goals, even more impressive when you consider we’ve had injuries to the goalkeeper and 3 CBs so far.

Lampard and has staff deserve an untold amount of credit for making us a competent defensive unit at the very least, after today it’s clear to see that the goals will come too. Fantastic work done by all.
Brighton who have played 1 less game

Charlatans

A very important win. Now we're looking up instead of down and the progress that we have seen - but which has been intangible on the table - is now materialising into points. I don't think we can underestimate the importance of this result. A defeat and we would be bottom three with the doomsday scenario for Frank becoming plausible in November. Now, he's built a platform for himself and given himself breathing space. I think he's a sincere man. I was just thinking that if he was asked about how relieved he was about the win, he's the kind of man who would blow out the cheeks and admit to its importance. Howard Kendall, by comparison, would probably play it down and say he was expectant of getting it anyway. In other words, one was canny, the other very genuine. I'm pleased for him. He carries himself and the club well.

Yeah and nice knowing we have garner if anyone picks up an injury

Was hoping he would have come on at the end instead of Doucoure

Plenty of depth there in CM and looks like Frank likes to overload on these important positions so they don’t have to change the way they play too much and can just bring the next player in. Looking forward to garner, he looks like another quality player.

I dunno about you lot but every time I discuss Everton with a fan of another club they think Lampard is next to be sacked and it's just such an obvious lack of knowledge of our situation now. We look a thousand times better now that most of the rabble has been moved out and a new spine of players who actually give a **** are playing regularly

We have a bit of a diamond here

Forget the feel good factor from last season he is really doing well..
inherited a complete and utter shi! Show from the Spanish fraud

He is shaping the team with an identity and the players are getting it And it's so refreshing

Status
Not open for further replies.