2022/23 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was he rubbish against Leicester when Mina broke his toe nail and packed in and left the defence in chaos.He got a grip of the defence when Coleman didn't know what day it was and steered us to a win.I don't think think he is a great center half ,but as person who as played there he got us those vital 3 points .When a goal goes in it is the goal keeper's fault or the centre half fault so you can not win.

Keane's got ability. Can score (always helpful), and can defend. His goals, blocks, tackles are badly needed at times.

His challenge seems to be basically staying switched on, and showing more of a 'presence' in games. Jags/Unsy style. Even others like Distain, Lescott and and others have been immensely successful at Everton this aspect - even if slightly less vocal or 'heart on sleeve' in manner. I absolutely love some of the defenders we'd had here in Baines, Coleman, Yobo and others further back.

Tarks and Coady transmit this. I hope Myko, Patterson and co pick up the baton. I think they can...

So where does that leave Keane?

1. Consistency
I'm not sure how many games he's gonna get, so needs to be ready to buckle down for a the odd reserve game and cup games.
2. Concentration Levels drop here and flashes of vulnerability / potential errors are sensed quickly by us and opponents. This is horrible as it simply invites pressure on him and the team. Other than game time I don't know how coaches improve this side of his game. I do think the likes of Tarks, Coady and Pickford and their communication could hopefully create better habits in Keane.
3. Toughness
Keane doesn't exude a hard as fjhkjk or even snidey type vibe. He blocks, he can score, he has ability. Does he command an area around him 'naturally', this is tough on the guy. I don't think he does.

Overall he's a guy that's scored for the team I love, and been good at times and excellent, in moments. I want him to be better and I think he 'could be' a sort of top half quality CB. Right now he's adequate cover for behind Tarks, Coady and probably Holgate. All of which feels a bit 'meh' for 30m when that was still 'a lot of money'.

Bigger problems to fix though, like a CF! And if he's training well and forcing the best out the other lads whom he can deputize for, great. Keep for this season and next possibly and phase out behind Branthwaite, Godfrey (if both continue to develop well).

Status
Not open for further replies.