Postponment of Premier League fixtures due to the death of Her Majesty the Queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit confused how so many people can be shocked a 96 yr old died?

Canceling events for a whole week and whatnot?

Its not a national tragedy the lady lived one of the best lives anyone probably can live from a basic materialistic point of view. Even then, 9 effin 6.

She wasn't assassinated, it wasn't a terrorist attack, or some national tragedy. A 96 yr old woman peacefully died, get on with it...
The FA should’ve gone with the precedent set when George VI died, which is to say got on with the football.

We’re in less forelock-tugging times now, it seems strange to act more reverentially than we did then.

I'm a bit confused how so many people can be shocked a 96 yr old died?

Canceling events for a whole week and whatnot?

Its not a national tragedy the lady lived one of the best lives anyone probably can live from a basic materialistic point of view. Even then, 9 effin 6.

She wasn't assassinated, it wasn't a terrorist attack, or some national tragedy. A 96 yr old woman peacefully died, get on with it...
You dont understand this country mate. The serf gene is part of the DNA.

The FA should’ve gone with the precedent set when George VI died, which is to say got on with the football.

We’re in less forelock-tugging times now, it seems strange to act more reverentially than we did then.
They pulled it because they feared the brand might be damaged. No one back in George VI day was arsed with brands or what it meant.

This is a purely commercial decision based on a fear of dissent from football fans. Such are the times we live through.

No idea how some people here identify with the Queen.
Utterly baffling.
"I'm not a monarchist but...". Pfffft!!!!
Subtle brainwashing from very early childhood. (the same way that peple are indoctrinated into religious 'beliefs')
eg - Primary school children being given plastic Union Jacks to wave whilst lining the Streets whenever 'Royalty' visit their neighbourhood to cut a bloody ribbon.

Can't see games being played next week.
I wouldn't blame them in all honesty. There's probably more sense in postponing those matches than the ones this weekend.

Going to be 100,000s visitors, police are going to be stretched majorly thin, add in all the dignitaries flying in etc.

Can they really fit in policing 10 PL matches at an average capacity of what, 35k at each ground?

“The decision was reached on Friday, the morning after fans of League of Ireland Premier Division side Shamrock Rovers were heard singing vile chants about the Queen during their Europa Conference League draw with Swedish outfit Djurgardens. The minute’s silence held before the second half of Hearts’ clash with Istanbul Basaksehir also had to be cut short after supporters jeered and one fan was heard shouting an expletive-laden message about Her Majesty.”

No doubt the vast majority of fans would show a bit of class and remain quiet, but also no doubt various cretins would scream abuse, and this wouldn’t happen at other sports. I think it’s really unfair to those supporters who would have liked to show a bit of respect for our longest serving Monarch, but unfortunately there will always be those who just cannot be trusted and would ruin it for the rest. Just read some of the comments on this subject here and in the CA and it becomes self evident... A great shame but there we are………

I won't post it here but having seen videos of the Irish fans singing I believe it was anything but vile. It was spontaneous, witty and the crowd kept a great beat and tone throughout!

But they do own its, its Kopite branding, bring a scouser is one thing, being Scouse not English is another, its part of that "you see us, you hear us, you all want to be us" rubbish

Not at all. The English Tory establishment literally tried to destroy the city. There has to be a disassociation with that group. You can see it on here and why some lone rabbits are such painful outliers in how most Everton fans think.

But they do own its, its Kopite branding, bring a scouser is one thing, being Scouse not English is another, its part of that "you see us, you hear us, you all want to be us" rubbish

Football is a laugh on wee messageboards, but are you really going to let what footy club you like dictate your views towards the British state and the monarchy?

If you as a Liverpudlian want to call the Hillsborough disaster/justice for 96 "branding" then that's your perogative. Like it or not, tragedies do enter the folklore of clubs - see Busby babes or Franco suppression of Catalan language, culture and identity. We live in a capitalist world which will annoyingly leverage these "unique sellling points" because our world is ill-adjusted - but that doesn't mean you should just opt out and become apolitical/aloof as a result. or worse - say something brain damaged like "that's a kopite thing'.
Dignity, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.