Postponment of Premier League fixtures due to the death of Her Majesty the Queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't want to be part of a nation, i guess you don't use the NHS or any of the other services like free education (up to a point)? All I'm saying is that belonging to a nation has its drawbacks that we have to suck up and tolerate sometimes. A game of football, a game, A GAME is being delayed to another date for the first time in god knows how many years. Try being this vociferous about the pointless international breaks that happen regularly if you don't like being deprived of fun.
I don't want to be part of the United Kingdom and all that it entails such as this mind numbing monarchy fetish that alot of people have.
It's not about the GAME but what it's postponement represents. Which is the interruption of normal life via sports cancellations, strikes being cancelled, media blackout etc.
I would love to try and avoid it but sadly it is creeping into my life through no desire of my own.
I do not and have never wanted an unelected monarch to my head of state. And thus I do not wish mine or anyone else daily life to be impacted by it.

And yeah sod the international breaks an all, definitely have no love for them either. But they don't impact many other facets of my life unlike the passing of one woman who has no bearing on my life

I'm hearing all football postponed this weekend. Starts again mid week and then that's it no more cancellations (Inc funeral).

Apparently it was the RS that ensured this weekend was cancelled as they are at home and the view was their crowd would disrupt any tribute.

For the one and only time in my life I'm liking that mob.

Will people be refunded for travel etc. they've made for these games? Be a load of people flying in to this country this weekend fuming.
I’ve asked Premier inn and LNWR trains on Twitter if they are relaxing their cancellation policies. Waiting for replies.

I've lost flights or hotels before, happenned me last year with covid. Had games moved to monday night before. It's very frustrating, so I get it.

Just don't think this is anywhere near as black and white as people are making out. It's not wrong to play or call games off, because this has never happened before in our lives and people aren't sure what the best thing to do is. The FA/PL/EFL were going to get a big backlash whatever decision they made, so they couldn't win.

There are about 50 professional football matches in England every weekend. I'm guessing policing is a big issue as well, especially in and around London.
Then why don't the say that then that's the issue
Some sporting events on , some off.
Otherwise if people want to mourn then let them. But give them the choice

I don't want to be part of the United Kingdom and all that it entails such as this mind numbing monarchy fetish that alot of people have.
It's not about the GAME but what it's postponement represents. Which is the interruption of normal life via sports cancellations, strikes being cancelled, media blackout etc.
I would love to try and avoid it but sadly it is creeping into my life through no desire of my own.
I do not and have never wanted an unelected monarch to my head of state. And thus I do not wish mine or anyone else daily life to be impacted by it.

And yeah sod the international breaks an all, definitely have no love for them either. But they don't impact many other facets of my life unlike the passing of one woman who has no bearing on my life
It's ultimately about 'respect' and logistics.

There's a lot of logistics and policing that go on to accommodate elite sports. Resources are now, rightly or wrongly, going to be piled into one of the biggest policing operations the country has seen in generations.

In the main part, it's PR. The PL were going to get grief either way, and they've chosen the easier option of upsetting fans - who they know will be back. The FA scrapping grassroots footy, though, is insane.

You don't want to be part of a nation, i guess you don't use the NHS or any of the other services like free education (up to a point)? All I'm saying is that belonging to a nation has its drawbacks that we have to suck up and tolerate sometimes. A game of football, a game, A GAME is being delayed to another date for the first time in god knows how many years. Try being this vociferous about the pointless international breaks that happen regularly if you don't like being deprived of fun.
Well, I work and I pay taxes. I follow the rules, and actively contribute to the local environment. I vote in elections, and celebrate national day, etc. But if my king were to die, it would surely be sad, because any death is sad, but that's life, and I don't know the guy either, so it would have taken me 10 seconds to move on with my life. Apart from being a symbol (symbol of what?) living in luxury, far removed from what other people do, what have they actually done that is so indispensable to the nation? For me, football has done far more than a guy sitting in a fantasy land with a throne.

Then why don't the say that then that's the issue
Some sporting events on , some off.
Otherwise if people want to mourn then let them. But give them the choice
The plan for a monarch dying has always been all sporting events were cancelled.

It looks like they've decided to stick with it.

As for 'why don't they say it' - for the logistics part - it's called PR.

Well, I work and I pay taxes. I follow the rules, and actively contribute to the local environment. I vote in elections, and celebrate national day, etc. But if my king were to die, it would surely be sad, because any death is sad, but that's life, and I don't know the guy either, so it would have taken me 10 seconds to move on with my life. Apart from being a symbol (symbol of what?) living in luxury, far removed from what other people do, what have they actually done that is so indispensable to the nation? For me, football has done far more than a guy sitting in a fantasy land with a throne.
The vast majority of British people feel the same way (or people who live in the UK, not just necessarily British).

But it's the authorities - and the clubs - who have taken this decision, because it's the easy way out for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.