2022/23 Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s a good player without being in the explosive or spectacular category. His contract ends in 2024. We should only sell him if we can replace him with better.

However, part of our progress under Moyes was based on selling certain players at the right time to make good profits and then reinvest. I could see that happening with Gray.

I don't see how Dominic Calvert-Lewin gets in, Gray, Gordon and Maupey, who can we drop from him?
Squad game. Dcl offer something else - Ariel and physical theat - battling with cb. Imagine 80 mins of Dcl and then switching your duties to one of those three with fresh legs

One greedy, greedy get who looks like he's more concerned about his own individual success than a collective team success. If he hasn't done so by now, he'll never learn to favour a simple effective pass over a head-down run into three defenders. Can be a real handful on his day, but doesn't seem like he can put a decent run of effective games together. Definitely a sub who can impact a game if his head is right, however, as he's shown he is capable of scoring and impacting a game.

This could be said about almost every winger in the country who is playing or has ever played.

Just one of those things depending how they feel on the day, how good the marking is, did the forwards or midfield make perfect a run to pass to. Other clubs may dominate possession and provide multiple chances per game which helps to give their players more opportunity to do something of note to mask the bits where they hit wayward passes, had a weak shot or ran into a cul de sac and dispossessed.

It's just the nature of the beast, if players were consistently making the right decisions and playing 10 out of 10 week in week out then they would be cyborgs and football matches would end with basketball scores.

Squad game. Dominic Calvert-Lewin offer something else - Ariel and physical theat - battling with cb. Imagine 80 mins of Dominic Calvert-Lewin and then switching your duties to one of those three with fresh legs
Yeah hut he can only be a bench option going forward, we can't start him, he isn't fit enough

He’s a good player without being in the explosive or spectacular category. His contract ends in 2024. We should only sell him if we can replace him with better.

However, part of our progress under Moyes was based on selling certain players at the right time to make good profits and then reinvest. I could see that happening with Gray.
This is true but he isn't a 25m player, so no point in selling him

This is true but he isn't a 25m player, so no point in selling him

He’s worth at least 18m imo, and any club paying that wouldn’t be getting ripped off. He’s much better value than say Norwich paying 9 million for Naismith, or Hull paying 7 million for Jelavic. But it’s only worth selling him if that 18m is used towards someone better.

He's a solid Premier League-level player. I don't think that can really be questioned. He just seems to have hit this glass ceiling whereby he can't seem to truly break into the 'next level' consistently. He's certainly fine for now though.

He’s worth at least 18m imo, and any club paying that wouldn’t be getting ripped off. He’s much better value than say Norwich paying 9 million for Naismith, or Hull paying 7 million for Jelavic. But it’s only worth selling him if that 18m is used towards someone better.
But thats selling and replacing for the sake of it, one thing that made bringing both Gray and Townsend to Everton such an inspired sucess, was the low risk due to the small budget the owner gave the manager.
If we could get 18m for players like Doucure or Allan, who offer nothing, thats one thing, but Gray can actually contribute

But thats selling and replacing for the sake of it, one thing that made bringing both Gray and Townsend to Everton such an inspired sucess, was the low risk due to the small budget the owner gave the manager.
If we could get 18m for players like Doucure or Allan, who offer nothing, thats one thing, but Gray can actually contribute

Yeah, agreed. He’s a good player worth way more than what we paid. He’s not spectacular tho. He’s not in the Richarlison bracket, never mind the Beardsley or Kanchelskis bracket. Everton ARE capable of signing top bracket players!

Personally, I think Lampard has done a real good job in strengthening the defence and midfield, and if we were to add one or two explosive wing forwards, then we’d be a very effective side! Wing forwards is now the area that requires strengthening.

….very interesting how this season pans out for him. He started last season well then fell away alarmingly. Apparently he was similar when he joined his previous club.

He’s a talented individual, I wonder if he can ever maintain form of a lengthy period. Only time will tell.
As you say, he has undoubtedly got the talent but consistancy has always been his missing componant.
Consistancy IMO, is reliant on confidence.
Can a talented but inconsistant player be given the confidence that may find that lacking consistancy?
Hopefully Lampard and his team can instill that confidence and Gray can benefit from an 'Alex Iwobi' like change of fortune.

As you say, he has undoubtedly got the talent but consistancy has always been his missing componant.
Can a talented but inconsistant player be given the confidence that may find that lacking consistancy?
Hopefully Lampard and his team can instill that confidence and Gray can benefit from an 'Alex Iwobi' like change of fortune.
His problem is that he has never been able to do it anywhere for longer than a few games. He just isn't a team player imo, there is too much head down and he is not aware of what's around him, it's all about him. No doubting his ability but there is a total lack of game intelligence.

His problem is that he has never been able to do it anywhere for longer than a few games. He just isn't a team player imo, there is too much head down and he is not aware of what's around him, it's all about him. No doubting his ability but there is a total lack of game intelligence.
Yeah that's it for me. The consistency thing is normal for players like him, he's an instinctive player and takes risks. Sometimes those risks come off and he looks good, sometimes they don't and he doesn't. I don't think there's any great secret to it, he just performs like an average PL player overall because that's exactly what he is.

…those skilful types are often inconsistent, but I’m interested to see if Gray‘s form peaks early in the season before dropping away as opposed to having good games dispersed with bad ones throughout the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.