Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're talking about top half expectations right there. The bottom half every season is full of teams that do not do what you suggest. Only three of them go down. We were not up to that standard last season, and we were not going to be this season after selling our best player just to stay within the rules, without freeing up funds for his replacement, no matter how good the window.

As Tony Pulis and others repeatedly proved over the years, it's the second concession that kills you most days out. Score one reliably, keep some clean sheets, and if you find yourself at a -15 goal differential at season's end you stay up, period. If you're in the -15 or -20 range and you go down, it's either because you were putrid in defense or scored in the twenties. I don't think we're that bad at either end of the pitch, though a large enough stack of injuries could change that.
We’re comfortable the worst footballing side In the league. We’ve actually taken the skill level down, not up. The Tony Pulis era is over and you don’t get away with that anymore. Where’s Tony now and why?

This line of thinking is out of date.

Just thinkin' reading these hysterical responses. about my eldest blue brother who made me an Evertonian from birth. He held the same beliefs when he knew he was on his way out - late diagnosis. We haven't got into September yet and you're giving up. Pitiful cowards
You’re brave, last season didn’t happen and other teams are now shiiiting themselves

But we’re actually weaker in attack
And more predictable which is astonishing considering how terrible we were to begin with and how much money we have spent

Better in defense? We’ll need to be…

because we’ll be be doing even more defending if that’s possible given that we can’t keep the ball
yes the failure to bring in a quality attacker is a big worry and a big failing

It makes what has been a solid window end very poorly, really

We'll have to step up. We have a solid, very solid really, midfield and that could give the basis to push Iwobi up and join the attack more. It's still Iwobi but right now he's far and away our best creative player.

They should have got that other forward in. Ben Brereton Díaz wouldn't have cut it, like, especially not for £20m.

We’re comfortable the worst footballing side In the league. We’ve actually taken the skill level down, not up. The Tony Pulis era is over and you don’t get away with that anymore. Where’s Tony now and why?

Guess you havent take notice of bournemouth

Reactions: JLW
yes the failure to bring in a quality attacker is a big worry and a big failing

It makes what has been a solid window end very poorly, really

We'll have to step up. We have a solid, very solid really, midfield and that could give the basis to push Iwobi up and join the attack more. It's still Iwobi but right now he's far and away our best creative player.

They should have got that other forward in. Ben Brereton Díaz wouldn't have cut it, like, especially not for £20m.
Agree it is a worry because of the injuries dcl has had. We need to get lucky and hope we can keep him fit, midfield really needs to add more goals this season

I don’t get everyone saying we have shored the defence up. We haven’t kept a clean sheet yet and haven’t played anyone decent bar Chelsea. Grey looks every inch a million pound player and the pressure on Gordon to deliver will be enormous.

A window that would have been great if we added some attackers is anything but now for me. A couple of injuries in the forward line and we are left with nothing.
Because last season we allowed 1.73 gpg and this season its at 1.2 including a couple of gifts. If it kept that pace we would be a top 6 defense and guaranteed to be no where close to relegation.

Replaced Richarlison with McNeil and Maupay. That’ll come back to bite us in the arse.
I think Maupay scored 2 goals less than Richarlison last season, so in theory if McNeil can get 2 goals then there's Richarlisons goals replaced if Maupay hits similar figures again this season.

The numbers didn't change over the years. The way to achieve them did, somewhat. Seriously, take three minutes and scan through twenty years of tables. Teams that end up down post some right bog standard numbers for, against or usually both.

This is because of how the math works. To go down on -15 goal differential, which hasn't happened in twenty years, a team would have to pick up too many draws and not enough wins. That's really unlikely to happen in any event, but if it did it would be due to extremely low scoring or an extremely large number of concessions bringing those possible distributions of goals over matches into play.

It's fairly obvious that Lampard and Thelwell saw last season's leakiness as the problem they could best address with what funds were available, and did that. When we had to buy goals, they found the player with the best goals-per-pound track record available. We're trying to stay up winning ugly, get to next season when we'll have more funds available, and build a real side.

What about some goal scoring stats
Comes out to 30 over a 38 game season. Nowhere near good enough. Add Maupay in and start getting some set piece goals, and that should fix that problem.

What about some goal scoring stats
I mean I would think you are capable of simple math, but if not I suppose I can do that for you.

You specifically asked a question, I specifically answered it, and now you are fishing for a new subject because you looked like a fool on the first one?

I think Maupay scored 2 goals less than Richarlison last season, so in theory if McNeil can get 2 goals then there's Richarlisons goals replaced if Maupay hits similar figures again this season.
Same is my view is up for the whole team to make up for richarlisons goals from last season. Get more goals from gordon,iwobi, onana, ect. Just need to see how frank sets up the team is far too early to judge the team

By that logic McNeil scored 0 last season so we’re weaker.

Whatever way you try frame it mate we’re substantially weaker in attack than we were at the end of the season.

It does make sense because we’ve spent £15m on McNeil, £15m on Garner & £33m on Onana.

McNeil could turn out well but he’s not a direct replacement and the other two are good additions for the future, but it’s a lot of money when we desperately need goals.
Exactly, proving that came from the Richy money and he wasnt sold for some absurd make accounts idea...

By that logic McNeil scored 0 last season so we’re weaker.

Whatever way you try frame it mate we’re substantially weaker in attack than we were at the end of the season.
If we can keep dcl fit i wouldnt say substantially weaker because the only other option we had was rondon.

Status
Not open for further replies.