Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is as we've seen in the first few games, is that we need someone who can scare opposition defenders into staying back. The RS success, had entirely been built on the opposition being scared of committing forwards, so they can put more pressure on the opposition. I remember watching us, under Allardyce against Chelsea and it was the same thing, Chelsea, just peppered us with crosses, however because they had no Costa they didn't score that day. Even Moyes understood you need a striker as Brentford proved with Toney, if you have a decent striker you can get through bad patches. to think when we had far less money, we had a lot more options under Martinez, he signed Eto, when we already had Lukaku. The stubborn refusal to replace Lukaku, yet we sign players in positions aren't really an issue. we've signed Onana, Garner and Gueye, maybe they have got someone last minute and it's still going through, but I think we need at 15 goal a season player, or we'll struggle.
Agree if you look they have seven forwards who can play in those three positions we have four and two people who can play centrally its short

12th is a big jump. Only Bournemouth is definitely worse than us. I am a buyer on Leicester and Wolves downturns, I don't believe in Forest yet, Saints aren't great but I also can see a world where we're below all of them. 17th for me is great, have another strong summer next year and we can aim higher.
Aston Villa remind me of of 2017-2018 Everton with an even worse manager in Gerrard and no obvious replacements available.
Also Coutinho is cooked.

They upgraded defense in the back and midfield. That is good. But they struggle to finish scoring opportunities and don't provide enough pressure on offense to make the opposition hesitant to attack the Everton goal. They barely avoided relegation last year and hard to see this team not being in trouble all season. 40 points means you have to win 10-11 games. They have zero so far through 5 games and have 2 games against Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal and Man City to go. I expect no more than 1 win in those 8 and it could be none. That means they pretty much have to win a 4 of 10 of the rest and tie a couple more to survive. It looks scary from here.

Another issue I forsee is lack of creativity its why we targetted a ?MGW/Kuddus we are relying a lot on the likes of Gordon/Gray/Iwobi/Onana/ Garner producing more assists/goals

Big gamble, but that's where we are.
It is a gamble. But we don’t know who the realistic options were. There haven’t been any sensational loan deals for strikers. The ones that we have been linked with aren’t in any way safe bets. I’d rather we did this business and see what happens with DCL than spunk money once again on a player we have no idea about and then be lumbered with their wages and causing us issues with P&S

For a manager who was previously known to be an attacking manager before he joined he really can't be happy with just Maupay and Mcneil as our only forward additions. I'd say we are still a wide forward/ playmaker short

Status
Not open for further replies.