Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stockpiling midfielders?

Assuming we move to a 3, we have Gana, Garner, Onana, Iwobi and Doucoure to choose from before we’re into the real dregs.

I honestly feel like this is the most focussed our recruitment has been in some time, but I’m sure Everton could have just Evertoned me into lower standards.

As always, time will tell.
It's good they've recognised that strength in depth means that those in reserve have to be a decent standard, not just making up numbers

In terms of urgency attributed to the forward areas, I think it boils down to Lampard’s expectations of Gordon.

Both in terms of knocking back what I think is a great fee, which we could have used for a top drawer forward or two, and in terms of assuming his output will increase exponentially in lieu of signing anybody else to share the burden.

It’s a massive call by him and the board. Fair play to them for nailing their colours to the mast, but it’s a big gamble.

At any rate I think we’ll have enough through the rest of the team to stay clear of real danger by Jan.
True. Lampard backed Gordon to the hilt. That decision along with the fitness of DCL will dictate the season.

I don’t mind us not getting another centre forward but it’s those inside forward positions we’re so short it’s scary. Gordon, Gray, McNeil and maybe Iwobi in case of emergency. None of them have good goal s prong records. Gordon’s started great and hope he continues but imagine he gets injured! We’ll be playing Gray and McNeil either side of DCL or Maupay. That’s so weak, there’s no goals there, little cover and no options to bring on from the bench. We’re going to end up running Gordon into the ground.

In terms of urgency attributed to the forward areas, I think it boils down to Lampard’s expectations of Gordon.

Both in terms of knocking back what I think is a great fee, which we could have used for a top drawer forward or two, and in terms of assuming his output will increase exponentially in lieu of signing anybody else to share the burden.

It’s a massive call by him and the board. Fair play to them for nailing their colours to the mast, but it’s a big gamble.

At any rate I think we’ll have enough through the rest of the team to stay clear of real danger by Jan.
Like many have said it comes down to dcl fitness and if he's the same player. If he is then you would think there are 4 or 5 teams worse than us. If he isn't then you might have to take a couple of them teams out of that equation and that puts us in bottom 3

He scored 2 less. Anthony Gordon has already scored 1 more than last season.

Our priority was sorting the defence and midfield. And improving set pieces.

That was our main issue last season.
Our priority was replacing Richarlison this season. He was the reason we survived last year. Its totally misguided that the club did not grasp this.

The fact we replaced him with Maupay and Mcneil actually hurts my head a bit. These are decisions we needed to get right and we keep getting them totally wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.