Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Precisely the reason we signed Maupay who has a superior goal record than Diaz at that level, and has scored a few at PL level as well.
But he isn’t a natural goalscorer. His record is a testament to that. Neither is DCL but if he stayed for he’d get double figures, but he won’t stay fit.

There is also no like for like replacement for DCL, none.

Massive shame as I rate most of our signings as decent. Gomes for Gana is a super swap.

And this is key to the narrative ahead. People will say Frank didn't get his striker, but Neil Maupay is a striker. The board have played a blinder here. The manager is now front and centre. He's kept his "starboy" - but at what cost? The board will say "we gave him his striker" and "we strengthened defence and midfield." Frank is now basically left with nowhere to go. He needs to make a fist of this now - and fast.

Not if Maupay turns out to be a poor signing.

Not a goalscorer. Hard worker and will chip in, but McNeil won’t, Gray won’t. We needed someone who can stick the ball in the net.

Genuinely think it’s poor, we have not replaced the one player who really contributed in every way last season.
So if DCL is a goal scorer and Maupay isn’t, who would/should/could we have realistically signed that would have done a superior job to Maupay who has yet to kick a ball for us?

rubbish it looks like we aren’t getting another attacking player, other than that we’ve had a far better transfer window than I expected, defence and midfielder definitely improved. Hopefully Calvert stays fit, maupay gets a few goals and we’re sound till January when we can improve the forward line.

oh lad we’ve not signed a striker coz we haven’t sold gordon lol bed
No, we have: Neil Maupay. We could have had another if we'd sold Gordon, I'm sure. Basically, Frank's excuses have been taken from him. Now, you could seriously question the quality of Maupay and some other new additions, but Frank has his players now. His fingertips are all over this team now. Let's see what he can do with his own players.

So if Dominic Calvert-Lewin is a goal scorer and Maupay isn’t, who would/should/could we have realistically signed that would have done a superior job to Maupay who has yet to kick a ball for us?
Read my latest post (I know you wouldn’t have seen it yet). Maupay and DCL are completely different players.

I’m not paid to be a scout for Everton football club: but there is a tonne of players out there who could have been DCLs understudy for a like for like replacement. Everton don’t want to dip into that market though.

All this bed wetting about not getting a striker/ forward.

It’s not ideal BUT we all feared with premier league breathing down our neck we’d be lucky to bring in a few players and would mostly be shopping in the bargain bucket.

The deals we’ve done have on the whole been very good & logical.

Tarkowski
Coady
Vinagre
Onana
Gueye
Garner
McNeil
Maupay

8 players in I don’t think anyone would of predicted.

I’m disappointed we didn’t get another attacker, but still been a pretty good window all things considered
We spent two seasons complaining about how opponents were strolling through our midfield and one complaining about how far we had regressed at the back. Last winter we addressed the hole at RB while replacing the LB. This window, we get two Prem-caliber CBs and a whole new midfield with some steel in it, solve the backup LB problem, buy a striker that scored two fewer goals than Richarlison last season, have a winger start to emerge as a scorer, and people are unhappy about the whole thing. It's not like we had the Richarlison cash to spend on another Richarlison, since we needed it just to avoid a points deduction.

Compare to the reception of bringing in Allan, Doucoure, Godfrey and James for the same amount in fees. This is some proper shoestring work. Best window since Brands' first year at a minimum, and possibly better since the luster of the Mina deal eventually faded.

Are we nailed on for relegation? No. Are we at risk? Sure. We started last season in exactly the same spot - at risk. We were forced to sell our most valuable asset with no hope of a return on it, and managed to tread water anyway. I'll take it.

Still can't get my head around them not using either loan if they don't
Loan market was thin. We have a little cash in our pockets, and cash those chits in come January.

Status
Not open for further replies.