Time wasting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be telling them to waste time too if we didn't have a striker in the squad. It is what it is, Frank has been severely let down by the board and his director of football and he's been forced to accept going into every single game so far knowing a victory is extremely unlikely.

Every team that comes to Goodison does it, and Ben Foster actually made a point previously that it’s deliberate to wind our fans up.

Funny that other teams and pundits etc wet the bed when it’s us doing it. Typical.

Our 'timewasting' last night, provoked the crowd which in turn got their players going and caused us pressure. It also gives the refs opportunities to penalise us as the crowd gets on his back. The best 'timewasting' is to keep hold of the football and make them chase. Unfortunately, at the moment we are find it difficult to do this. But the biggest timewasting is the feint injuries that players use in an attempt to stop play, often holding their heads when they haven't really been touched on the head. Last night, the elbow on Tarkowski looked deliberate to me and I thought we should have made more of it, as other teams would have done.

Bit from column A, bit from column B.

Last night was a bit of slowing the game down as they play at a frantic pace and a bit of eating into the clock.

I have no issues with this and I have no issues with Everton full on time wasting, I have issues with anybody playing against Everton time wasting but that is the beauty of the football fan, massively hypocritical :)

Sam knew exactly what was doing, he did well for us with good management and was treated unfairly

See the man with the straggly hair and inane expression? That's you, that is. You like to kiss Big Sam's Jowly chops.

Sorry, don't know why I morphed into a Mary Whitehouse Experience sketch. Did the job, with hindsight I'd be curious to see how he fared with a longer tenure. Just for comparison. The footie was awful though. Not much changed really since.

Taking the heat out of the game is just part of the game. Yes it's annoying when teams do it to us but at the end of it the ref has control of the time so it's up to the ref to add the necessary time on. For me there should be no such thing as time wasting or bookings for time wasting if the ref did his job it's quite simple really and if that means 15 minutes added on then so be it. Teams would soon start getting a move on if they realised that time wasting wasn't working.

Leeds fans gone a bit OTT with this one, I'd call it more slowing the game down taking longer over free kicks/goal kicks etc, rightly so the way Leeds play.

Difference between time wasting and playing slow to take the home crowd out of the game

Whenever the ball is out of play it's time wasting. The multi ball system has come in to try and keep the game flowing.

If we're going to resort to these kind of tactics (if needs must then so be it) then we can't complain at Goodison if the away team does it.

There is a fine line between slowing the game down and time wasting.

I play table tennis at a good level , not as good as a youngster when I was England ranked , and one of the things I was coached at a very early age was that if your opponent has momentum and wants to play quickly you take your time serving and generally slow down the game to frustrate them and get under their skin.

On the other hand if you sense a weakness you try to play every point as quickly as possible.

In my opinion good teams protecting a lead will try to run the clock down and waste time with 5-10 minutes left. What I saw last night was part of a co-ordinated plan to waste time from 20 minutes into the game. That isn't a tactic that is going to bear fruit on a regular basis.

Ben Foster on his podcast (think he's an over enthusiastic lying bs btw) made a good point that they come to goodison and make sure they nullify the crowd. Keeping possession and time wasting.

Also as a side note. I don't think our time wasting was that bad yesterday. The ref, the (poor mans goodison) crowd and the commentators made it seem worse than it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.