Time wasting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluedyhell

Player Valuation: £750k
Time wasting or game management? Certainly been at Goodison plenty of times when we boo on mass so called time wasting from some teams. Slow goalkeepers etc resulting in us angrily venting our frustrations. Are we now one of these me teams?

Time wasting or game management? Certainly been at Goodison plenty of times when we boo on mass so called time wasting from some teams. Slow goalkeepers etc resulting in us angrily venting our frustrations. Are we now one of these me teams?
Yes and it's about time. It's a vital part of the modern game, especially away from home where you can have a huge effect on the opposition crowd.

Leeds were going to come at us guns blazing,so slow things down and frustrate... about time,literally

No issue with time wasting, it is part of any good away performance. Slow the game down, break up play, stop their momentum.

The problem is we did it too early and we weren't successful with it as we lost points against a team we should be beating.

I don't think we were that bad really... Marsch was going mad about it for some reason, which I found pretty funny. Can't be managing a team well if you are focussed on pointing at your watch all the time. Just drew attention to it.

….funny how teams who waste time early are often chasing the game late on because they’re a goal down.

i was looking at the Leeds manage pointing at his watch in the first half and had an image that he’d be completely the opposite if his team went ahead. Fortunately, it didn’t happen last night but it often does.

Saying that, I’m not sure if our tactics were more about slowing the game & taking the sting out of the opposition than wasting time.

I thought last night it was overreaction by Marsch which made it an issue , after about 5 mins he was running down the touch line , arm held high , finger on his watch. A few minutes later the camera showed Patterson picking up the ball for a throw in and a guy in the crowd behind him holding up his watch too and screaming about time wasting. It all seem to generate from one of Pickford‘s early goal kicks taking too long. The match , crowd and Marsch settled down eventually, as shown by only 3 mins extra time inThe second half.

You are allowed to think about where you want to kick the ball from a goal kick. That seemed to be Marsch's interpretation, and a lot of the pearl clutching around this.

It's not just a case of grab the ball, and kick/throw in a random place quickly. I'd rather my players took the necessary consideration to make the correct decision.

I don't think we were that bad really... Marsch was going mad about it for some reason, which I found pretty funny. Can't be managing a team well if you are focussed on pointing at your watch all the time. Just drew attention to it.
He's an idiot of a fella.

Desperately trying to shake off the "American Soccer Coach" stereotype but only succeeding in solidifying that stereotype.

The over excited chimp.

You are allowed to think about where you want to kick the ball from a goal kick. That seemed to be Marsch's interpretation, and a lot of the pearl clutching around this.

It's not just a case of grab the ball, and kick/throw in a random place quickly. I'd rather my players took the necessary consideration to make the correct decision.
You just know Pickford will be the first sent off for time wasting ,, Everton that

The game has a problem with the ball being dead too often across 90 minutes and time wasting isn't the only cause of that, or even the major cause. It's not uncommon for the ball to be 'in play' for only 70% of the time or even less. They could fix that overnight if they wanted to by stopping the clock when the ball is dead to ensure that you get 90 minutes of actual action, but that still wouldn't fix restarting the game as an actual issue as teams could still look for a tactical breather, and it could make the issue even worse as you couldn't book people for time-wasting any more as the clock has stopped.

If there was a concerted effort to make the game more appealing as an entertainment as Jesse Marsch was alluding to yesterday, I think allowing goals to stand where only the wrist of the attacker is offside is a more effective and easily implemented step.

Status
Not open for further replies.