Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a few minutes to flip back through last season's goals, and they really are diabolic. Ignoring the goals against weak resistance in the cups, it boils down to:

- all counterattack all the time under FSW, with the odd wonder goal from Gray/Townsend from downtown
- set pieces under Lampard, usually off a noggin
- Richarlison penalty or pure skill throughout the season
- Pass from forward/Iwobi -> close range score from forward throughout the season

We weren't scoring through Route One all that often, the way we have been so far. Iwobi at the 10 could help a bit with picking a lock, but that's probably not enough against Prem defenses unless we get dialed back in again on set pieces.

Exactly mate, to my mind we need creativity and threat, we need to make scorable chances, we’re to telegraphed and predictable, easily worked out and defended against - that will only get worse as the season goes on. Playmaker is an absolute priority. I could cope without the wide forward, providing we keep young Flash, though would be nice.

You're demanding the impossible, if the players were guaranteed quality they wouldn't be for sale or, at least, going for outrageous money.
Like £33m, for instance?

Our first XI desperately needs upgrading - there's no way we spend £33m on a player to NOT slot into the first XI, we simply aren't in a financial position to do that. Onana will start 30 games this season unless injured or suspended.

Exactly mate, to my mind we need creativity and threat, we need to make scorable chances, we’re to telegraphed and predictable, easily worked out and defended against - that will only get worse as the season goes on. Playmaker is an absolute priority. I could cope without the wide forward, providing we keep young Flash, though would be nice.
Agree, given we have Maupay in and DCL along with Gray and Gordon a playmaker is the biggest priority, I hope they have a alternative to Kudus if we can't get that done. Although a good wide forward would help that Gakpo looks like he is creative and a finisher, doubtful we can afford him though. Some people under estimate how much losing Richy was a blow to our threat/goals output and losing James/Sig/Digne last season to our creativity/assists. So far we haven't brought anyone who provides a spark beyond potentially Onana.

Like £33m, for instance?

Our first XI desperately needs upgrading - there's no way we spend £33m on a player to NOT slot into the first XI, we simply aren't in a financial position to do that. Onana will start 30 games this season unless injured or suspended.
He may, I'd prefer he didn't. Someone like Gibbs-White cost similar and, while he may be ready more quickly, I think Onana has a higher ceiling and be the better investment.

Obviously all these things are just predictions.

I guess McNeil was bought to play now, but then I was never a huge fan of that signing, whereas I could easily imagine the plan for Onana was to get other reinforcements and ease him in with the view that he'd be a huge asset with time.
They both were , mcneil has made hundreds of appearances. Onana has come with a huge reputation and a big price tag. The bar is also really really low so I'd be worried if onana couldn't at least match it.

It seems clear to me that Lampard and Thelwell have seen the 66 goals shipped last season as the thing to attack and have sorted out two experienced CBs who can stop the goals being scored against us from set pieces etc.

However, they've sold Richarlison and done nothing to replace him, so in effect it's like turning a tap on and pulling the plug out.

We need a very handy forward to avoid the drop this season.
Turning a tap off and putting the plug in, surely?

They both were , mcneil has made hundreds of appearances. Onana has come with a huge reputation and a big price tag. The bar is also really really low so I'd be worried if onana couldn't at least match it.
I know price-tags matter but there also has to be a recognition of short-term V long-term when it comes to signings. What does £30m get you in the short-term market?

Status
Not open for further replies.