Confirmed Signing Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s not a dirty player, if that’s what you mean? He’s not big enough to be a bully either. He is like an angry little wicketkeeper sledging and nibbling away at the batsman - or in this case his marker, scrapping for everything and running his socks off. I cannot praise his work rate enough.

He is a classic wind up merchant, getting into the head of his defender, little barbs, an “accidental” step on the toes at a corner. He knows his game, he’s never going to be a Messi - he is a player of “small gains” making a larger whole.

It does seem a little damning with faint praise to talk about “running around a lot” as a key attribute, but his runs make space for others and he is actually a very intelligent player.

I must take issue with a few comments earlier in the thread saying he is good back-to-goal. That is absolutely not his game, and we have really struggled in games when he was isolated. When he plays poorly, the ball seems to just bounce off him. But he keeps on working and playing on the shoulder all the same and is guaranteed to earn a chance from that alone.

I should also add that I’m sad to see Neal go and bear him no ill will. He’d be third choice as it stands with us if he’d stayed, but I’d certainly rather have him in the squad than not.
What formation did he do best in?

I get the sentiment though that this is a very bottom half of the table signing. I can understand that with the fact Brighton have shipped him and he’s not got a goal record in the prem that’s set the world alight.

Goals per game of 0.25 and a shooting accuracy of 35%. Lewin is 0.27 for 43% for comparison - so not way off.

He doesn’t score against the big sides but he does score against the sides we should be beating. I think he’s worth a punt at 26 and hopefully now he has premier league experience he can rekindle the form he saw with Brentford.
They shipped him because he wouldn't sign a new contract,seems a lot of posters prefer to believe they hoofed him because he is substandard.

I think he'll be a decent signing for us; reliable, hard working and experienced.

To me it looks like Lampard is building a solid, reliable, hard-working side. Making us hard to beat with a decent forward three - it might not be a team to break into the top places but it's something solid to build upon.

Maupay fits into the squad; available when DCL isn't fit and I've a feeling we'll get another couple of signings done before the window closes.

I like him in a front two, ideally with someone who offers a more physical threat alongside him. He is an on the shoulder player at heart, he can look a little lost as a lone front man, especially without supporting runs from attacking midfielders.
Could you see him playing off Rondon? It looks like that will be our only option until sicknote gets back.

Status
Not open for further replies.