Confirmed Signing Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think we need to at least start looking outside the pl and take some calculated gambles like 90% of the clubs
If only Brighton had thought about that, oh wait a moment.

I give you, Locadia, Andoni, Sima, Persian Ali, Shakquri to name a few, all flops £70m at that. All scored less goals than Maupay combined.

We have probally one of the best scouting set ups around when you look at who wr have sold and replaced then with, but buying a striker is either hit or miss, and if you are lucky that 1% of the time its a hit.

...half of them against Us usually
Yes most of his goals last season, were in the match at Goodison. Think he only got 5 all season including the Goodison Hatrick. Sometimes its better to score them spread out. If he'd got them in 5 different matches, Watford may have stayed up.

Diaz maybe?

Ben Brereton?

I think he'd cost more than Maupay.

If that members criticism is Maupay's 8-10 goals a season isn't enough, then what are we expecting from Brereton?

Maupay scored more goals than Brereton in the Championship.

It's why Potter/Brighton paid £20m to sign him from Brentford.

Maupay is a very decent player, a pragmatic signing. He's not going to solve everything overnight but then who is? We need more after him.

Mate why not try and learn more about the situation before being so quick on the negative?

Just to answer each point there;

Potter wants to keep him. Quote from when he was linked with a move last season;

And last week he was asked for an update and he said Brighton aren't kicking him out the door.

Maupay won't stay.

Potter is then planning without Maupay.

Maupay can leave for free in January.

He's money in the bank, they wouldn't risk injury.

If he was receptive to staying, he'd sign a new deal, he'd be playing for them and we wouldn't be able to afford him. Basically the situation last season.

We've scored more goals than Brighton for each of the last 3 seasons on the bounce.

As for Maupay;

Some more context here;

Please name them.

Preferably for less than £15m, with potential resale value, who are relatively low risk who would come.

Excellent, considered post.

Part of me feels this signing (along with the Coady signing) shows Lampard finding players which suit the system he wants to play (back 3).

Coady brings leadership in the defensive third and Maupay gives us variance in the attacking third. Didn’t Forest also play a back 3 last season? (Garner, potential signing).

I know we’ve been told to judge at the end of the window. But so far, it’s been a clever window in terms of personnel signed imho…

Ben Brereton?

I think he'd cost more than Maupay.

If that members criticism is Maupay's 8-10 goals a season isn't enough, then what are we expecting from Brereton?

Maupay scored more goals than Brereton in the Championship.

It's why Potter/Brighton paid £20m to sign him from Brentford.

Maupay is a very decent player, a pragmatic signing. He's not going to solve everything overnight but then who is? We need more after him.
Both out of contract this summer so if it’s a collective sub £40m, I think it’s decent value for both.

Brighton are doing the exact thing we should do for a player of his age, ability, value, and most importantly contract situation.

Couple that with the fact that young Europe based strikers with cool names don’t care about our history and only see our recent form. If they choose to come here purely for PL ££ instead of playing at their level at Nice, Celta Vigo or Benfica, then we shouldn’t be looking at them anyway.

I would guess of the chances we currently create, this fella scores more than Rondon, Gordon etc THIS season. Worry about the 2027/28 once we have steadied the ship.

I personally think we need to at least start looking outside the pl and take some calculated gambles like 90% of the clubs

Dont think we can Phil.

Every signing we make now needs to be low risk, with resale a massive factor.

It's about being competitive enough to stay in the league.

The margins between that, and mid table are very slim.

Let's get there, and secure first IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.