Confirmed Signing Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate why not try and learn more about the situation before being so quick on the negative?

Just to answer each point there;

Potter wants to keep him. Quote from when he was linked with a move last season;

And last week he was asked for an update and he said Brighton aren't kicking him out the door.

Maupay won't stay.

Potter is then planning without Maupay.

Maupay can leave for free in January.

He's money in the bank, they wouldn't risk injury.

If he was receptive to staying, he'd sign a new deal, he'd be playing for them and we wouldn't be able to afford him. Basically the situation last season.

We've scored more goals than Brighton for each of the last 3 seasons on the bounce.

As for Maupay;

Some more context here;

Please name them.

Preferably for less than £15m, with potential resale value, who are relatively low risk who would come.

Potter is not desperate to keep him, but he is happy enough for him to leave. That says a lot. Maupay is not the best option or even the only option. He's a very average, 26 year old striker. It lacks ambition for the club to sign him, but maybe it shows where we are. That 8-10 goals guaranteed is better than taking a chance.

Potter is not desperate to keep him, but he is happy enough for him to leave. That says a lot. Maupay is not the best option or even the only option. He's a very average, 26 year old striker. It lacks ambition for the club to sign him, but maybe it shows where we are. That 8-10 goals guaranteed is better than taking a chance.

Well, again, I'd say the circumstances there are dictating him leaving.

Spurs fans could say Everton were happy enough to see Richarlison leave...

You also didn't answer my question.

You: I understand that not everybody is going to be a superstar, but I think we should be targeting starting CFs who could produce better than 10 a season. Maupay is not that.

Me: Please name them. Preferably for less than £15m, with potential resale value, who are relatively low risk who would come.

Because me, I struggle. We don't have a massive budget, and we need 3+.

Is it weird I think he will do really really well for us. You have to remember at Brighton he’s playing in front of 20k a week. Here’s its double. We won’t accept him to be crap, he will soon find out what it’s like to play for one of the biggest clubs in the nation. Let’s give the lad a chance. Everytime I have seen him play I’ve been impressed. He leads the line well, he runs, he’s fit, he’s not a 30 goal a season striker but hardly anyone has them these days, that’s why they are so sought after.

I think he will do well for us and I think he will get us 15 goals this season.

I think this is a bad signing. This is a deal that problematically lacks foresight. What is the viable sell on potential of Maupay as he enters his prime? On the same note what is the realistic growth plate for him at 26 to drastically improve our side? In both cases the idea we will either make future money from this deal or garner a different player then the one that was at Brighton is just unrealistic.

People can point to the current lack of finishers but that doesn’t in turn justify a signing made on bad pretenses. Or justify any addition. We could and should have done better.

At least we have moved away from making expensive bad signings, to affordable bad signings but that’s a marginal improvement. Maybe Neal transitions to a squad player which is fine for the outlay, but if the club hopes to climb the table in due time they have to look at deals the way Brighton are in this one oppose to the inverse. We need signings primarily based on upside, and for the most part our current business has not realistically led with that agenda.

Last edited:

Richy ?
Lukaku ?
Lescott ?
Stones ?
Just off the top.of my head.
There'll be many more.
Gana as well.
Picked him up from a relegated Villa for peanuts and he went on to star in champions league games for PSG after a big money move touching his thirties.

Pickford too arguably (some will disagree, but he’s come on leaps and bounds last couple of years).

Status
Not open for further replies.