Confirmed Signing Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brighton would not be letting him go so easily if he was part of Potters plans. And he would not be coming here unless he was assured a starting place.

He averages 9 goals a season across the last 3 seasons, playing in a Brighton team that creates more chances and plays better Football than we do. The chances that he comes in and scores 10 or around that number are realistic, but is that going to be enough.

I understand that not everybody is going to be a superstar, but I think we should be targeting starting CFs who could produce better than 10 a season. Maupay is not that.
Depends on if he would have signed a new contract or not. He might of said that he didn't want to . Brighton taking the money now rather than risking it. Ot they need the money for somthing else? Although they have bucket loads after their sales so far.

We know he can play centrally as a striker but could we see Maupay playing off the wing and drifting inside. One of his strengths is his movement, opening space for other players and passing.

Imo both Gray & Gordon would benefit from playing with Maupay. But I also think both Gray & Gordon are too similar as players and don’t give us any variance in attack. (Cut inside, shoot, repeat). With Maupay being (hopefully) able to play off the wing or upfront. We might be able to see more varied chance creation.

You are looking purely at stats. We create less than them so he will score less. It doesn't really work like that. He may create a good bond with Gordon or Gray or whoever and score loads.

You honestly never know until a player actually plays for the club. There are loads of players we thought would be good signings who ended up being crap, there are also loads of players who we thought would be crap who ended up being good.

Maupay has his uses, we just need to use them.
No not all I mentioned what the Brighton fans thought of him, backed up by some stats.

We are simply not playing that style of football, there's zero partnerships on the pitch for us atm , so it's fair to say he will be on his own.

True but a lot of those players were unknowns , we have a lot of data on this player to make a solid assessment, that assessment is underwhelming.

Think he's quite a good footballer, just not a good goalscorer. He works hard, winds up the opposition and looks after the ball better than any of our other attacking players.

So we've spent half a billion to wind up having Brighton fans sign up to got and pat us on the head for giving thier reject striker a main man role at Everton.

13, yes 13 times is the amount of starts where we had Richy, DCL and James, 1/3 of the games in the 20/21 season.

So to say that we’ve gone from them to DCL, Maupay and Diaz(?) in a negative sense isn’t fair. If we had Richy, DCL and James fit and playing together for 2 seasons or so then yes, but we didn’t have that trio long enough to say that we miss it. It was a flash in the pan.

Wouldn’t have been my choice but he is probably on a par with Cornet and Dennis with regards to goals. He is probably a stop gap or a squad player in truth, but until we get the finances allow for us to go for someone better I don’t think the club had much choice.

This is a bit of a false narrative.

He does score goals, always has. Scored a fair few in the Championship and is always a lock to score 8-12 goals in the premier league. Hardly W.R. Dean but he DOES score goals.

His issue is that he misses some chances which is not quite the same thing. So he gets chances, scores some and misses some. Its better than doing, well, nothing, like we do currently...

Status
Not open for further replies.