Confirmed Signing Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reasons why I think at £15m he'd be a good, pragmatic signing.

- Brighton wanted to keep him. He wouldn't renew. He's been an important player for them and still would be if he wanted to stay.
- He's only available, and for a good price because he's in the last year of his deal. From January, he can open talks with any foreign club about a free transfer.
- League goals - 10 in 37, 8 in 33, 8 in 35. Their top goal scorer in those 3 seasons. Over those 3 years, he's contributed a third of their goals.
- Compare how he'd rank at 10, 8 and 8 in an Everton team the past 3 years.
- He's 25, he hit double figures (ok, 10 league goals) in his debut season as a 21/22 year old for Brighton.
- It sounds daft, but he tends to score goals that matter. It's not like he slots 3 in a 4-0 win to bump up his numbers - 'Take away the nine he netted in 2021-22 and Brighton’s record-breaking ninth place finish becomes 14th spot in the table. Maupay was single-handedly worth seven points last season.'
- He has a very good fitness record.
- People like to say 'Brighton create loads of chances, Maupay misses loads' - he has a better conversion rate than most, including Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison.
- He's low risk in that he's 'proven' in the Prem, young enough to do a few years and sell for profit.
- Playing style. He's a bit street footballer - he brings energy, tenacity and some snide. He's a bit of an angry ant - he can't play upfront on his tod, but he creates space for those around him. Evertonians tend to like that type of player.
- Long term target so it's not a knee jerk panic - we were linked last summer but had no chance because Brighton wouldn't sell;

He'd be a very useful player and for £15m, all day.

It would be double that, and I doubt Brighton would sell if he had 4 years on his contract.
Sold that pretty well mate.

Again, like Ben Diaz at the price & age range, he'd be a pragmatic buy for the next two seasons at least.

Well Nottingham Forest, Fulham and us are paying it now, knowing his contract situation.

He turned 26 the other day, a couple of decent seasons and I think there's profit there.

Resale/low risk transfers should be front of every transfer for us.

Agreed but think people get too bogged down by resale value. Not every signing we make needs to be sold for profit. We'd never have signed Barry if that was the case.

Agreed but think people get too bogged down by resale value. Not every signing we make needs to be sold for profit. We'd never have signed Barry if that was the case.

He was free wasn't he?

Just think most transfers we make now, we should be mindful of whether we can sell them. Selling is part of the game, now more than ever.

We've been awful at that since Moshiri and it's cost us.

Even Gueye, I appreciate we have to consolidate for the here and now to avoid relegation - but I'd rather the club didn't pay much for him.

He was free wasn't he?

Just think most transfers we make now, we should be mindful of whether we can sell them. Selling is part of the game, now more than ever.

We've been awful at that since Moshiri and it's cost us.

Even Gueye, I appreciate we have to consolidate for the here and now to avoid relegation - but I'd rather the club didn't pay much for him.

Exactly this. Resale value is important, whether people like it or not. I thought our financial predicament had proven that conclusively.

Yes, we have very recently brought in a couple of players with potential to increase in value. But I don’t think Maupay is in this category at all personally.

I'm not mad on him but we're already in a relegation battle after 2 games so a striker who knows the league for £10-15m? I'm not so fussed if we can't flip him for the same fee in a couple of years (although we could if he does well).

Only strikers we will make big profits on are going to be young punts.

His height bothers me.

Even when DCL isn't on the pitch, we try and launch the ball up to him.

Don't know that a 5ft 8 striker is going to improve that situation when it doesn't work with 6ft Anthony Gordon in the role.

Status
Not open for further replies.