2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never suggested he is world class, but that term to me relates to about 20 players in the world.

He can be an excellent PL player if his fulfils his potential. If he doesn't he will still be a useful PL player. I think it's mad to say he will be back in the championship because he's already proved that at the very least, he can cope with the demands of PL football.
I know mate, I wasn't suggesting you had, only that if he surpasses even our wildest expectations of him, all we're losing out on in the long run is a bigger fee and I would rather take £50m now than gamble on him being valued (by anyone other than us) at the same or more in the future.

I genuinely don't believe he has proven anything of the sort. He won the Tallest Dwarf award last season for being half decent in an utterly rotten bunch but even then I don't think he produced anything consistently, which bears out in his stats. Of course, a better team around him MIGHT yield better results from him, but my feeling - and it is only that - is that the opposite will be true; being surrounded by better players will just see him shrink into the background.

50 million speeds up our FFP cycle and allows us to spend like its next summer - essentially free range, but can't go spending 30m a piece on 5 players

However, does Moshiri open up the cheque book and add his own cash, or are we just going to spend the 50 made off Gordon? Feels like that should weigh heavy on the decision makers, because you need 4 players at least, and 50m isn't going to cover the quality of what we need

I agree £50m won't get you the three players plus Gordon replacement we need, but it will get you 2 or 3 of those 4. Then we need to over hype Stanley Mills this year and hope someone spunks £50 mil on him next year.

Maybe line up Dobbin or Simms for the overhype train the year after that.

I dunno, this isn’t a Lescott situation.

Actually think if he stays then throughout the season the pressure will build on him, but will be a gradual thing.
Oh without doubt. Its this that I think will say, bollocks I'm off while I've got the chance.
I know no more than what I see blurted out on the usual sites. No smoke without fire springs to mind. Whatever happens his mind will be in no fit state for the weekend as if we didn't have enough to worry about.

I agree £50m won't get you the three players plus Gordon replacement we need, but it will get you 2 or 3 of those 4. Then we need to over hype Stanley Mills this year and hope someone spunks £50 mil on him next year.

Maybe line up Dobbin or Simms for the overhype train the year after that.
I'd take the money. We don't want another Barkley situation where he stays, barely plays, then next season value plummets and we sell him for £15 mil in Jan or next summer. If he wants to go then get rid. Hopefully the likes of Simms and Dobbin will all increase in value by playing regularly and then we start getting decent money for our academy players. Much rather see the money go on another decent central mid and a forward.

The most Everton that thing is he has an average season and we lose the opportunity to sell him while his stock was high.
Either that or he will be next in line for an injury which then keeps him out for half a season and all the usual lot are going on about how we "should av kin sold him" when we had the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.