2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm only going off what was reported. It was implying the player was refusing contracts and trying to get out.

But he's under contract for 3 more years, so I dunno. It didn't really make sense to me.

It's the usual Evertonian way when it comes to selling a player...make them out to be the Judas.

It's economics at the end of the day. Nothing personal.

Do we even really NEED the money up front? Would that be for the P&S stuff?

If we sell a player, you recognise the full profit/loss on the deal in the year of the sale.

If you buy a player, you recognise their full (ascertainable) value on the balance sheet in the year you acquire them, then amortise their value over the course of the contract.

Money being upfront, or deferred is a cash flow issue more than anything (don't get me wrong, cash flow is still extremely important, but not so much for FFP) and I think people are mistaking its significance for accounting purposes.

Sounds like poor journalism to me
No, it's the truth. Too many of our fanbase are building him up to be some sort of junior ronaldo and he is miles away from that standard, miles away. At the moment whether you like it or not he is a 21 year old lad who is quick and unsettles defenders, that's it. Come back when he starts scoring goals and hitting proper crosses that actually pass the first man. At the end of the day these are professional footballers, the elite, the chosen 1%, regardless of age a certain standard has to be expected. If the figure being mentioned is true then it's sheer madness not to accept it, potentially swap 1 player for 3. This is not about players, its about the team, the club, staying in the PL, all of which is more important than any player.

If we sell a player, you recognise the full profit/loss on the deal in the year of the sale.

If you buy a player, you recognise their full (ascertainable) value on the balance sheet in the year you acquire them, then amortise their value over the course of the contract.

Money being upfront, or deferred is a cash flow issue more than anything (don't get me wrong, cash flow is still extremely important, but not so much for FFP) and I think people are mistaking its significance for accounting purposes.
Thats what I mean. If we do installments how is it really any better or worse than everything up front? We're not skint, we just can't spend money. We could get 45m up front or 5m up front and it would make no difference to us, no?

Thats what I mean. If we do installments how is it really any better or worse than everything up front? We're not skint, we just can't spend money. We could get 45m up front or 5m up front and it would make no difference to us, no?
It depends on the answer to this question. What is our cash flow position like?

If cash flow is an issue, then the more we get now the better obviously. If we can't spend just because of regulation, rather than not having cash, then it doesn't make a huge difference.

If you buy a player, the longer a contract means the less of a hit on the write down in any single year.

Like a £20m player on a 2 year deal is a 10 million hit each year. A 40m player on a 6 year deal, is only like 7m per year. That can have an impact I suppose.

One way of looking at it is the impact of not selling Gordon. Is he likely to contribute in keeping Everton in the Premier League? Or would trading him for 3 players likely to achieve that? Should Everton get relegated it’s doubtful he’d want to stay and we’d get nowhere near £50m for him (see Dwight McNeil) so there’s your risk.

Chelsea are bidding on him being a £70m player in a few years time, they’re paying for a future projection of Anthony Gordon not what he is now. Say Everton replaced him with 3 players could they generate such a future income, as make his mistake that has to be our model.

Everton rejecting a £45m bid

3y4a3.gif

50 million speeds up our FFP cycle and allows us to spend like its next summer - essentially free range, but can't go spending 30m a piece on 5 players

However, does Moshiri open up the cheque book and add his own cash, or are we just going to spend the 50 made off Gordon? Feels like that should weigh heavy on the decision makers, because you need 4 players at least, and 50m isn't going to cover the quality of what we need

No, it's the truth. Too many of our fanbase are building him up to be some sort of junior ronaldo and he is miles away from that standard, miles away. At the moment whether you like it or not he is a 21 year old lad who is quick and unsettles defenders, that's it. Come back when he starts scoring goals and hitting proper crosses that actually pass the first man. At the end of the day these are professional footballers, the elite, the chosen 1%, regardless of age a certain standard has to be expected. If the figure being mentioned is true then it's sheer madness not to accept it, potentially swap 1 player for 3. This is not about players, its about the team, the club, staying in the PL, all of which is more important than any player.

Tearing up here lid, what a close to the speech.

do you do motivational speaking lessons?? ?

For reference, if we were to sell him for £50m, it would make him the 4= most expensive English footballer of all time.
Behind Harry Maguirre at £80m???

When you look at it that way, anything goes, even £50m+

The club dialogue here will be:

1. He's not for sale- he's our academy star and a troo bloo. our fans would never forgive us.

2. Anthony has indicated his desire to play in the CL, and has not yet signed the contract on the table.

3. Reluctantly to protect our asset value we are forced to accept the whopping £50m bid for our wantaway boy (*stifles grin)

This is a high risk strategy - we're in danger of looking a gift horse in the mouth.
Yeah I know Chelsea are acting irrational with offers lately, but I think they might just move on to someone else, especially because this won’t have gone down well with their fans, which they’ll be aware of. £45m is what Gabriel Jesus cost. I really don’t know what Chelsea are doing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.