2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im hoping it’s delay tactics by us.

We want to bring a few more in before committing to a deal.

But that’s clutching at the highest order.

It was his breakthrough season in a crap team. I think he can deliver more but he's 21. This time last year he was going to be loaned out had we got Diaz in.

Get what we value him at or don't sell him at all, either is fine with me because for £50m I do think it'd be an incredibly good offer.

50m would be incredibly good and I hope we can negotiate a better deal again that includes a player in return - hopefully they are daft enough to agree to something like that. But I worry that if they walked away, we are left with a limited footballer who does not bring to the team what we need right now, reportedly turned down a contract and will leave at the end of his contract for nothing or for a lesser amount as his stock won’t be this high if he doesn’t start delivering on the pitch for us. His valuation is based on prospective talent and that is far from guaranteed, he doesn’t even show fragments of goal scoring ability or creative genius that suggest he will go on to be a 50m valued player. So for me it’s a now or never chance to sell and add to the squad, be very frustrating if we price them out.

At worst he is going to be a solid PL player, who will be useful in a squad. He's never ever going out on loan in the championship, so that's nonsense.
Opinions, innit?

I don't profess to be a great scout of footballing talent, but aside from his sheer willingness and work rate I haven't seen anything from him to suggest he can produce on a consistent enough basis to be a decent PL player.

Of course, history is littered with stories of players who made a great career out of little more than hard work, as well as those of players who utterly wasted their potential. Given his starting point, I'd sooner take a chance with £50m if we can get it.

If he turns out to be world class, he would leave eventually anyway, and we'd probably lose out on £50m again in fees. As long as we can cover that opportunity cost with profits on the players we buy now, we wouldn't lose out on a great deal in the end.

Of course, that's putting my trust in our recruitment, but aside from the question mark over McNeil they've been pretty shrewd so far.

In fairness there is logic to denying the sale publicly, so we can go about getting replacements before the other clubs know for sure if we have the Gordon money. They will have a fair idea of course, but we can deny it until it's agreed.

We absolutely need to have the replacements lined up before we sign off on the sale, or we are going to be left with scraps on deadline day, and getting rinsed by other clubs for their surplus players.

Yes, that's fair.

But there are different scenarios here. Chelsea have huge amounts of money so can afford to overpay, whereas we really can't. The value of players like Gordon to the selling team will always massively exceed their true market value. But clubs like Chelsea get the players in the door because they bid that bit extra. So we are absolutely right to value him extremely highly, considering the buyer is Chelsea, and considering it is 16th August, with window shutting in 15 days.
Yes I appreciate all that. We should still bite their hand off if they come back with anything above their last offer.

And none of it changes the fact that there is no reason to believe that the club would feel like they need to spin accepting a £50m offer for him.

If they were letting him go for £25m then spinning would make sense, because there’d be a need to do it.

I know this is going to attract ire but he is super overrated Harvey barnes at Leicester is a far better player so is connor Gallagher I'd even take a straight swap for him. Everton fans work in extremes either over hype players or over scrutinize players. Gordon has promise for sure but theres a chance he could be the next Aaron lennon. Gordon has absolutely no end product and he loses the ball constantly due to iffy decision making. If we can get 45 or more we should take it immediately.

Let it off yer chest lad you'll feel much better for it.

I feel we'll get £45m + add-ons to £50-55m, if a deal is done, and that a large proportion of that money will be in the initial downpayment (like £20m).

If Gordon really isn't wanting to sign a new deal then I think the club will accept it.

Like you say though if they don't hit the figure we want then we don't sell. We have targets we can get without selling him, but I can safely bet that the targets we'd be able to move for if we had that extra financial power would be a far sight better.
Do we even really NEED the money up front? Would that be for the P&S stuff?

Wolves don't have the same financial need to sell as us and Leicester (that I know of) and Leicester are playing a very silly game with Fofana.

It makes sense not to accept the first offer because that, annoyingly, is just how transfer negotiations work but I really fear us getting too big for our boots and Chelsea walking away. I would bet a great deal that, if he stays with us, he declines to the extent he'll be on loan in the Championship in a year or two, and leaving for free at the end of his contract. If Chelsea come back with a bid closer to £50m I really, really hope we take it.

Well, the point is we'd need to replace him.

Sell Gordon for £40m, and if we go back to Wolves for Gibbs White, we'd be told £35m+

Hopefully they'd have a few lined up before selling.

Opinions, innit?

I don't profess to be a great scout of footballing talent, but aside from his sheer willingness and work rate I haven't seen anything from him to suggest he can produce on a consistent enough basis to be a decent PL player.

Of course, history is littered with stories of players who made a great career out of little more than hard work, as well as those of players who utterly wasted their potential. Given his starting point, I'd sooner take a chance with £50m if we can get it.

If he turns out to be world class, he would leave eventually anyway, and we'd probably lose out on £50m again in fees. As long as we can cover that opportunity cost with profits on the players we buy now, we wouldn't lose out on a great deal in the end.

Of course, that's putting my trust in our recruitment, but aside from the question mark over McNeil they've been pretty shrewd so far.

I've never suggested he is world class, but that term to me relates to about 20 players in the world.

He can be an excellent PL player if his fulfils his potential. If he doesn't he will still be a useful PL player. I think it's mad to say he will be back in the championship because he's already proved that at the very least, he can cope with the demands of PL football.

If this is the case (I've been kind of hoping so too) then this narrative of we don't know how to conduct business surely is out of date (please PLEASE)

Status
Not open for further replies.