2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
We knocked them back??? For that fee!!

Jesus, I’m going to have a panic attack.

Yes, the lad tries hard, no doubt… but I honestly feel that’s about it… he runs a lot and throws himself into tackles (often a millimeter away from getting himself sent off).

Don’t get me wrong, I’d never fault his effort but he’s not anything special!!

And his feigning injury crap is wearing thin now (though for Chelsea the refs will buy a lot of it happily giving free kicks and penalties)

Yes he’s come through our ranks but the ‘one of our own’ shouts look daft after the phone me / come get me celebration. I’d understand a bit more if it was 2 / 3 years down the line but not already!!

Knocked them back….I need a paper bag I’m hyperventilating.

I'm only going off what was reported. It was implying the player was refusing contracts and trying to get out.

But he's under contract for 3 more years, so I dunno. It didn't really make sense to me.
Why would they need to spin it though? It’s a ridiculously good offer. I’m fairly surprised we’ve rejected £45m

Selling Gordon and throwing the whole fee at MGW is the sort of thing I can see us doing.
Well again it's not as much about the fee as we do have money there already, it's just about the downpayments isn't it, and selling Gordon - combined with the Kean money - really gives us a big boost this financial year. That's circa £80m coming into the accounts from two player sales alone in 2022-23. That's massive, because it gives us license to spend what we have available a bit more.

I'm not supporting spending anything more than £25-30m on MGW but the issue earlier in the window was Wolves wanting a huge downpayment. If we were able to then give them that - maybe £15m up front with the rest spread over his deal - then we have a promising attacking midfielder who is versatile like Gordon, and we'd still have more than enough funds to go and get someone like Terrier who is proven quality for the wing, and a striker like Adams.

Basically a £50m sale in this financial year actually equates to us being able to spend much more than £50m, as long as the structures are sensible.

Can a player not be given a pay rise without an extension? Like it happens in every other walk of life.

Whether we offer him increased terms, an extension etc or not, he's still under contract for 3 seasons so an extension is not absolutely essential.
Sometimes but that still means a new contract been signed mate.

But the likelihood is that Everton will have offered a five-year deal (from 2022) with better terms.

I'm not sure where you get the 'offers very little' bit.

Everton have a valuation and will stick to it. It's called negotiating.
4 goals. 3 assists - as an attacking player, who’s job it is on the wings is to create goal scoring opportunities.

Amended my reply already to include that negotiating with the likes of Chelsea for a player like Gordon who is not a 50m player, could lead to them moving on to other targets and we are then stuck with a player who has had his head turned. It’ll turn toxic for him if he stayed and did not up his return almost immediately. Both ways we lose. Obviously be great if we rob them for 50m but I don’t think this late in the window we can afford to play hardball.

Why would they need to spin it though? It’s a ridiculously good offer. I’m fairly surprised we’ve rejected £45m

I don't know, I agree £50m would be a fair price, and one we might have no option but to accept.

But what I read looked like spin to me. We had sources close to the club yesterday adamant no bid was made, Jim White, Myers etc. It's all a bit bizarre to me.

If we get our valuation of £50m then fine, sell him. But if we don't then keep him. No need for any spin, let Chelsea decide if they want to pay the sort of fee that makes our mind up for us.

4 goals. 3 assists - as an attacking player, who’s job it is on the wings is to create goal scoring opportunities.

Amended my reply already to include that negotiating with the likes of Chelsea for a player like Gordon who is not a 50m player, could lead to them moving on to other targets and we are then stuck with a player who has had his head turned. It’ll turn toxic for him if he stayed and did not up his return almost immediately. Both ways we lose. Obviously be great if we rob them for 50m but I don’t think this late in the window we can afford to play hardball.
It was his breakthrough season in a crap team. I think he can deliver more but he's 21. This time last year he was going to be loaned out had we got Diaz in.

Get what we value him at or don't sell him at all, either is fine with me because for £50m I do think it'd be an incredibly good offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.